Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the Centerline Corsa exhaust - 3" piping, resonated, no muffler(s). Whet it was first installed I had a fair amount of drone at 1,800 - 2,200 RPM. I've done two "modifications" that have helped a ton. The first is I added sound deadening material to pretty much anywhere I could under the trunk floor (metal pieces, plastic bin, etc.). The second is I had an exhaust shop weld extenders onto the end pipes to extend them into the faux tips. I'd recommend you try both of these.

As for the noise on cold start - the only thing I can say is that it gets better as ambient temperatures warm up. :D Not helpful, I know, particularly since winter is coming in Australia.

ETA: This is the damping material I added:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have the Centerline Corsa exhaust - 3" piping, resonated, no muffler(s). Whet it was first installed I had a fair amount of drone at 1,800 - 2,200 RPM. I've done two "modifications" that have helped a ton. The first is I added sound deadening material to pretty much anywhere I could under the trunk floor (metal pieces, plastic bin, etc.). The second is I had an exhaust shop weld extenders onto the end pipes to extend them into the faux tips. I'd recommend you try both of these.

As for the noise on cold start - the only thing I can say is that it gets better as ambient temperatures warm up. :D Not helpful, I know, particularly since winter is coming in Australia.

ETA: This is the damping material I added:
World Cloud Atmospheric phenomenon Font Snow

Thanks for sending the damping material through, was just about to start researching which one to get. This looks good. No issue with heat transfer degrading the adhesive or anything?

And yes, will try extending the exhaust tips further, this is an easy one to test....before I start chopping up the exhaust to try more drastic measures!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi All,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. I have read through countless posts on exhaust mods, but thought I would reach out for some help.

I recently purchased my Giulia Veloce, and whilst I love it, the exhaust note sounded more like a vacuum cleaner than what a mean looking Italian car should sound like. So after much research settled on a Remus racing Cat-Back and had in fitted about a week ago.

I am know torn, as I love it when it has warmed up, but the cold start is just obnoxiously loud . To the point that I am leaving the car on the street for a quick getaway in the mornings rather than reversing out the driveway. This coupled with the drone at about 2k rpm, and its a problem I need to fix.

Link to cold start:

I have booked the car in with the shop next week to see what we can do about it and I am open to anything. So I am thinking of the following ideas/options:

1. Remove the Remus system and go back to stock (would be a shame)
2. Add a resonator to the Remus
3. Muffler delete on either the Remus or Stock
4. Fit real exhaust tips and ditch the fakes

Would love any advice or experience anyone could share.

Cheers, Baz.
Sounds like mine. But I took out complete exhaust system and forward resonator. Cost 300.00. Remember it's a 4 banger. That sound won't change unless the mufflers are packed..but then there is no point. It does get louder as time goes by too. You can park in "A" and on cold start it is a bit less raspy. With my aftermarket mods mine is just always loud. Your pretty stuck honestly. Beautiful giulia though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sounds like mine. But I took out complete exhaust system and forward resonator. Cost 300.00. Remember it's a 4 banger. That sound won't change unless the mufflers are packed..but then there is no point. It does get louder as time goes by too. You can park in "A" and on cold start it is a bit less raspy. With my aftermarket mods mine is just always loud. Your pretty stuck honestly. Beautiful giulia though.
Parking in "A", didn't think of that. It holds that profile for start up? Will give it a shot.
If I am the only one in the car, I love it as there is no one nagging me about it and I can drive the way I want to. But with others in the car, I am already changing my driving style to avoid the drone which just defeats the whole point.

I think I am settled on having a real good play with the Remus to see what works and what doesn't. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had Remus race now 3 years. It's a bit noisy but not bad. It has drone but i can live with that. My neighbors sure wake up when i do a cold start but they can handle that.
So all good and i like it. Only thing i did, i extended the exhaust tips and it helped a bit with the drone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
After much back and forth, I ended up cutting in two sports mufflers to the Remus. Cut down the cold start noise massively. Sounds great in low revs and get a nice pop/crackle at high revs. Would be nice to have a bit more of a grumble in mid range, but after everything I'll take what I got.
There are times when I miss the full race, but day to day it was just too much for the Family.
Also been thinking of a valved set up to bypass the mufflers, but dont really want to spend any more on it at this point.
In hindsight I think the Remus Sports Exhaust would have been ideal.

·
Registered
IG @alfa.visconti
73 Posts
After much back and forth, I ended up cutting in two sports mufflers to the Remus. Cut down the cold start noise massively. Sounds great in low revs and get a nice pop/crackle at high revs. Would be nice to have a bit more of a grumble in mid range, but after everything I'll take what I got.
There are times when I miss the full race, but day to day it was just too much for the Family.
Also been thinking of a valved set up to bypass the mufflers, but dont really want to spend any more on it at this point.
Can you add a video of it? I love mine but after a year I'm starting to want something a bit less...aggressive. I already did the dampening and extension of the tips which did help a ton. I've been going back and forth on Vibrant resonator or/a muffler

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Can you add a video of it? I love mine but after a year I'm starting to want something a bit less...aggressive. I already did the dampening and extension of the tips which did help a ton. I've been going back and forth on Vibrant resonator or/a muffler
Yeah, I'll try to put a video together over the weekend.
I'd say that on cold start its about 50% quieter than the racing. Given the racing was just absurdly loud, it is still fairly noisy in the mornings.
After driving it for a while now, I wish it was a little louder than it is, but there is zero drone, and its a nice low rumble. To be honest, probably what the stock exhaust should have sounded like in the first place!

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Hi All,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. I have read through countless posts on exhaust mods, but thought I would reach out for some help.

I recently purchased my Giulia Veloce, and whilst I love it, the exhaust note sounded more like a vacuum cleaner than what a mean looking Italian car should sound like. So after much research settled on a Remus racing Cat-Back and had in fitted about a week ago.

I am know torn, as I love it when it has warmed up, but the cold start is just obnoxiously loud . To the point that I am leaving the car on the street for a quick getaway in the mornings rather than reversing out the driveway. This coupled with the drone at about 2k rpm, and its a problem I need to fix.

Link to cold start:

I have booked the car in with the shop next week to see what we can do about it and I am open to anything. So I am thinking of the following ideas/options:

1. Remove the Remus system and go back to stock (would be a shame)
2. Add a resonator to the Remus
3. Muffler delete on either the Remus or Stock
4. Fit real exhaust tips and ditch the fakes

Would love any advice or experience anyone could share.

Cheers, Baz.

Hi Baz I just found your post and needed to contact you to see what you ended up doing regarding your Remus Cat Back exhaust system. I just got mine fitted today at Zagame's in Richmond. I think I've stuffed up too. It's too loud and it drones. Did you find a sound proofing material for the boot? The exhaust does sound loud inside the car! Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. John

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Thanks Baz. Just found your post with your final solution. Would love to know more - which sports mufflers and where did you get it done? Are you in Melbourne? Thanks John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks Baz. Just found your post with your final solution. Would love to know more - which sports mufflers and where did you get it done? Are you in Melbourne? Thanks John
Hey, I'm in Sydney.
Would have to dig up some receipts to check exactly which mufflers, but they were hi flow sports type.
After driving for the last month with this set up, I can say than in the cabin, it's a tad too quiet. Louder than stock, but not exactly what I want.
If I could justify it, I'd take it out and get the Remus sports, but that's another $1500 which at this point I can't justify.
All that being said, compared to the full race I'm glad I put in the mufflers, as the race was just way way too loud and droney.
If you know your local exhaust shop, have a chat with them. For me we test fitted a few (strange, but gives you an idea of sound) before fitting them..see photo...pretty hilarious to see it like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
Sensational Baz. Thank you so much for responding. Yes I have a local exhaust shop in Prahra that I can visit. I am also thinking about ripping out the Cat sports system and selling it online and then putting in the Sports system. John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I paid $500. Pretty fair given he was happy to get the car up on the hoist and have a chat and test a few things for over an hour before actually starting to modify it.
Was fiddly to fit the two mufflers as well.

My reluctance on the Remus sports (other than cost) is that I have learnt the hard way that you really need to hear the exhaust before committing to it. If there was someone local to me who had it it and I can listen to it in person, I think that would get me over the line.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Sport
27 Posts
I paid $500. Pretty fair given he was happy to get the car up on the hoist and have a chat and test a few things for over an hour before actually starting to modify it.
Was fiddly to fit the two mufflers as well.

My reluctance on the Remus sports (other than cost) is that I have learnt the hard way that you really need to hear the exhaust before committing to it. If there was someone local to me who had it it and I can listen to it in person, I think that would get me over the line.
100% agree Baz. That was the mistake I made with the CAT racing system. I did a lot of watching videos on YouTube but it’s not the same as actually having it installed in your own car. I’ll go and see Daniel on Monday. He’s got lots of 5 star reviews. Thanks again and if we ever meet I’ll buy you a drink!!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts