Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. I have read through countless posts on exhaust mods, but thought I would reach out for some help.

I recently purchased my Giulia Veloce, and whilst I love it, the exhaust note sounded more like a vacuum cleaner than what a mean looking Italian car should sound like. So after much research settled on a Remus racing Cat-Back and had in fitted about a week ago.

I am know torn, as I love it when it has warmed up, but the cold start is just obnoxiously loud . To the point that I am leaving the car on the street for a quick getaway in the mornings rather than reversing out the driveway. This coupled with the drone at about 2k rpm, and its a problem I need to fix.

Link to cold start:

I have booked the car in with the shop next week to see what we can do about it and I am open to anything. So I am thinking of the following ideas/options:

1. Remove the Remus system and go back to stock (would be a shame)
2. Add a resonator to the Remus
3. Muffler delete on either the Remus or Stock
4. Fit real exhaust tips and ditch the fakes

Would love any advice or experience anyone could share.

Cheers, Baz.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you read countless threads on exhaust, you would have known that all of the race exhausts, regardless of brand are obnoxiously loud on cold start and drone at 1800-2000 RPM.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
127 Posts
OK,

Going back to stock will fix the problem, but I don't think that's what you want.

Adding a resonator will reduce the drone slightly, will not eliminate it, will do nothing for the cold start.

Muffler delete will only make it louder and increase drone.

Replacing tips and extensively putting dynmat type stuff in trunk will help with drone, but not eliminate it, will do nothing for cold start. There are some good threads on this.

Even the Remus sport has drone reported, which some have made livable with tips and sound deadening.

Reactions: Baz

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, sounds like going back to stock is the lesser of evils.

In hindsight, probably should have gone for the Remus axleback, but so hard to pick without hearing it yourself.

I'm open to other suggestions if anybody has had a similar experience.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Thanks, sounds like going back to stock is the lesser of evils.

In hindsight, probably should have gone for the Remus axleback, but so hard to pick without hearing it yourself.

I'm open to other suggestions if anybody has had a similar experience.
Go back to stock and throw in HFC. That’s the real sound maker and has actual performance gains not butt dyno. Sell that Remus to pay for HFC. Jb4 and hybrid turbo and call it a day. No DV. No intakes. No exhausts. All placebo on Alfas.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,008 Posts
I run a 3" exhaust that only has a vibrant muffler in the rear, no resonator, no drone. Even if I'm in a wrong gear so as to make the exhaust loud, it isn't drone, it doesn't resonate in the cabin. Cold starts are really loud still, but oh well, I love it.

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,087 Posts
Thanks Todd, that was helpful!🤨
Yes, I have accepted that I f***ed up and was a little over eager choosing the race. However, was hoping for slightly more constructive feedback.
It's the little emoji face you chose here that really made me smile this morning, thank you.

I had a Centerline Corsa and really enjoyed it. Resonator, no muffler. It sounded an awful lotike yours.

My thoughts? Drive it for 2 months and see if you get used to it before undertaking adjustments. If you do need adjustments, there are some posts where people used a dead-end tube (don't recall the proper name) to change the resonance of the exhaust, reducing drone significantly. If you are already going to have work done, that might be a good option to get exact where you want to be.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,008 Posts
Are the exhaust tips long enough? If they aren't, they turn the area behind the bumper into a resonant chamber.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't want to do any tuning, so not am option here.

Sound deadening material for sure if I keep the Remus on, will start researching this.

From what I can see the tips are long enough and end within the fakes, bit easy to double check and try an extender. Might help with drone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's the little emoji face you chose here that really made me smile this morning, thank you.

I had a Centerline Corsa and really enjoyed it. Resonator, no muffler. It sounded an awful lotike yours.

My thoughts? Drive it for 2 months and see if you get used to it before undertaking adjustments. If you do need adjustments, there are some posts where people used a dead-end tube (don't recall the proper name) to change the resonance of the exhaust, reducing drone significantly. If you are already going to have work done, that might be a good option to get exact where you want to be.
J-pipes! The guy at the exhaust shop suggested this. Very interesting concept. Doing some reading, sounds like there is some maths (read dark magic) to it. Anyone tried this with success?

Only issue here is that if it doesn't work I've kind of butchered the Remus and any potential resale value?

Question though, will any of this help with the cold start noise level?

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,087 Posts
J-pipes! The guy at the exhaust shop suggested this. Very interesting concept. Doing some reading, sounds like there is some maths (read dark magic) to it. Anyone tried this with success?

Only issue here is that if it doesn't work I've kind of butchered the Remus and any potential resale value?

Question though, will any of this help with the cold start noise level?
No. But really cold start goes away after a bit. I honestly enjoyed it.

I'm a physicist- and I can vouch for the dark math on the j-pipes. Solving it analytically is hard, but adjusting the j-pipe with a slip joint until it sounds right is not too bad.

·
Registered
2017 TI Lusso Q4
70 Posts
I have the muffler version of the Remus Axle back, keeps stock resonator. It has a very good sound but still relatively quite. Probably what the factory exhaust should sound like. I am thinking of getting the mid pipe.

Maybe get the muffler version axle back as its the same mid pipe. Otherwise as @JeFizz mentioned, add a vibrant muffler or resonator. Simplest may add a vibrant resonator up by where the stock version would have been. I have had really good luck with Vibrant but also really like the Remus Muffler.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,008 Posts
No. But really cold start goes away after a bit. I honestly enjoyed it.

I'm a physicist- and I can vouch for the dark math on the j-pipes. Solving it analytically is hard, but adjusting the j-pipe with a slip joint until it sounds right is not too bad.
Someone already did that on this board... resonant chamber bernouli stuff.

Reactions: migliori

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's called a Helmholtz resonator.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,008 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Guys, all very useful pieces of info which are consistent with other advice and research.

So as it stands, I think I will try to add a resonator and try some J-pipes. Can then start adding deadening mats to the trunk area. This will help reduce the drone.

But I take it, the ridiculous cold starts is something I will just have to live with?

My only concern is that I will do the works to reduce drone, then the neighbours/wife will still complain about cold starts which may lead to going back to stock. And then being stuck with a mod'ed Remus which I wont be able to do much with.

I'll get there, just hard until I hear it I guess.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Veloce (MY19) - 1973 C110 Skyline - 1977 Datsun 810 SSS - 1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
388 Posts
There was a guy who had a custom setup made, maybe here in Australia?
using a varex rear muffler he was able to keep it quiet on cold start.

- Found it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts