Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fresh off the installation this morning, I'm going to post thoughts on product quality and installation now and circle back later this afternoon with some driving / sound / performance impressions.

Packaging:
Came in a large cardboard box, two of the three sections wrapped in plastic, pieces kept separate by various cut cardboard pieces wedged in-between sections. Instructions included (Austrian / German and English) as well as a large stainless steel clamp and some other misc pieces of hardware. Note in my shipment a small bag containing some small SS bolts / washers / nuts apparently opened during shipment and I had to fish around in the box to find them all.

Quality:
I'm not an engineer nor am I a metals / materials expert, so take this with a grain of salt. The tubing appears to be very high quality, I like the "shot blasted" finish on the stainless steel. All hangers and sections were welded very well. No discoloration. Flex portion which mates to the Cat also appeared to be high quality. Wall of tubing seemed quite thin (shop installers commented on that) but since the system is slightly larger than stock in diameter but lighter, the weight savings probably came partially from the wall thickness.

Installation and Fitment:
I am fortunate to have a full custom exhaust & fabrication shop less than 2 miles from my house. Excellent shop. They pulled the car into the high-bay at around 8:15am, and I backed the car out of the high-bay at 9:20am. Including the time both the installers and I took to get some pictures while the rear skirt was off, I'd say installation only took them 45 minutes. Impressive.

They had no negative feedback at all about the installation of the system. Everything lined up perfectly and it was very easy for them. Plenty of clearance. Very little movement, no chances for rattles or anything like that. They also commented on the finish of the Remus system as being quite nice. One of the installers said they typically do a couple of "spot welds" on aftermarket systems for other vehicles to keep the system aligned and prevent it from hitting other components, but said that was not necessary at all with the Remus system on the Giulia. They also kept the rear diffuser section which contacts the bumper on the car, only removing the portion of the skid plate / diffuser which is well under the car body. Didn't really add that much time or effort to the installation.

My only gripe is that Remus really should have made the very end of the pipes 2" to 3" longer. I know they sell their own carbon fiber tips which I'm sure are amazing, but I wanted to save money and retain the stock tips. The pipe barely fits inside the end of the tip, it should extend into the body of the tip ideally halfway. The Remus system isn't even close, and without the rear under-body panel on you can see how comical the end result looks. I guess on the plus side I will never have to worry about rattles or anything touching the rear diffuser hahaha!

Of course they loved the car, someone from the auto body shop next door walked over and was looking her over while she was up on the lift. Count on the Giulia to attract attention!

Sound:

(Updates to come. I'm going to take both in-car and outside of the car audio clips using a laptop and Blue Microphone USB mic and will add to this post this afternoon.)

We fired it up in the high-bay and wow! Way louder than stock, as expected. Harsh, raspy notes... engine had cooled down so I wouldn't say it was a true "cold start" but the RPMs were higher than usual. Backed her out and drove home. Since I'm so close the drive back was all under 35MPH and I never got above 3,500 RPMs or 5th gear.

Pictures are attached. Cannot wait to get back out there and do some more aggressive driving! I'll pop onto the highway for a little while too.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
thanks - looking at this to do the back box only at first and when the exhaust goes finish it off with the full system. Look forward to any vids. Be interested in the ride experience.

Do you think the CF tips would create a full connection / make a difference? See what you mean, looks like it's shouting down a megaphone :D

Can I ask what the rough installation price was for 45 minutes? Want to get ballparks so I don't get ripped off in the future :)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Good write-up.
@FNM If you are thinking of just the backbox (axle-back) then its a different sounding system as it is European noise homologated and its a free flowing muffler a bit smaller than the stock muffler and lighter in weight. In terms of sound its a little bit more louder than stock with a slightly deep bass tone. On throttle and spirited driving its definitely louder than stock if combined with the open unresonated cat-back section but not excessive. Reason I know all this? I have the cat-back open pipe, rear muffled system on my 200HP 2.0 (in UK). I am not fully sold on the system yet in terms of if it is the sound am looking for. I will need to get my ECU tuned to 280HP (same engine and turbo etc. as yours) first before deciding on sound and performance. At idling and cruising though its the same engine and output so exhaust should perform similar.

I noticed the same gap as the OP at the tail pipes to the factory end pipes. 2" too short. My installer swaged a 4" pipe and spot welded it to the end so that the exhaust gases are NOT shouting into a megaphone :) Easy enough to do. For me I wanted to be sure the gases don't collect under the boot when idling even if were not an issue. See pics.

What the OP has is the fully open unresonated, unmuffled race system which is basically an open pipe! Would be interested to know his feedback on drone (as this is without a resonator) at low rpms and cruising for example in N and A modes and any effect on low-end torque and high-end gains from purely a feel for things like throttle response and turbo spool for example.

Attachments

Reactions: FNM

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
cheers sir. Do you have any vids of how it sounds on yours?

Yeah I had a Magnaflow box (not full system) on my first car and i'd say it made a noticeable difference but did the full system on my RX7 (flames n'all MASSIVE difference). 100% agree it's like day and night. Like the 4" too, i'd want it connected. Right now i'm looking to just do an 'improvement' to the sound now (I don't HATE the current system but want something a bit sportier) and when the salt from Connecticut eats the full system...upgrade fully. Have the same questions as you too :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience probably isn't common, the owner said "about $75 / $80" three weeks ago when I dropped in to ask how much it'd be. Both the owner and a technician / installer were under my car for the full installation and they were so nice and did such good work I didn't feel right only paying $80. So I told them I wanted to pay $100, and in addition I gave them a $20 so today's lunch would be on me (read: tipped them).

I guess I'd recommend calling around and finding a place your comfortable with having their hands all over your Giulia. Explain you want an axle-back exhaust installed (I believe that's the term for what you are calling a "back box") and also ask what their standard hourly labor rate is.

If they ask for more than around $120, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
@Triumph23 Inwould very much appreciate it if you could make a short sound clip at startup, idling and a bit of revving....I am a bit hesitant to get a full open exhaust so open pipe with axleback muffler night be the right thing.....neighbor has brand new Macan GTS with optional exhaust and at startup whole neighborhood shakes more than when I start my Aprilia with racing Akrapovic system lol

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
@Triumph23 Inwould very much appreciate it if you could make a short sound clip at startup, idling and a bit of revving....I am a bit hesitant to get a full open exhaust so open pipe with axleback muffler night be the right thing.....neighbor has brand new Macan GTS with optional exhaust and at startup whole neighborhood shakes more than when I start my Aprilia with racing Akrapovic system lol
I will try and get some soundclips but I only have a mono mic'd phone which is not brilliant. Will post when I get time over the next few days. Don't expect to get a good feel of the sound from my clips though. I am planning to put the factory resonator front section back on though to see if it makes a difference to the low-end response change I notice on my lower power 200HP engine.

I was the same as you with sound. Didn't want to wake up the neighbours when I start my car. My Triumph Speed Triple with arrow exhausts does that job already. The Ducati Panigale I had previously was mega loud. On a 4 -door saloon which is used to take family and kids I want something refined. The Remus cat-back muffled does that job fine. Just that I feel the 2.75" pipe is also oversized for the de-tuned 2.0 200HP that is sold here and consequently I seem to have paid a slight low-end torque penalty. That is the main reason why I am going to try putting the front factory resonator back on. We also get the 280HP version now so the pipe diameter is perhaps better suited to that. Remus themselves market it only for the 280HP over here in Europe.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
thanks! Don't worry about the phone, it should give us an idea. Wasn't expecting a THX experience :D

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Triumph23, you are going to tune your car to get 280 hp? Why didn't you get one from the start?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Triumph23, you are going to tune your car to get 280 hp? Why didn't you get one from the start?
They didn't sell the 280 when I bought mine 8 months ago. In the last few months we have been getting both the 200HP and 280HP versions. 280HP is identical to your Ti Spec with the sport seats as standard and its called 'Veloce' over here in the whole of European market including UK.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Crazy marketing. Two diesels and a 200 hp engine.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Crazy marketing. Two diesels and a 200 hp engine.
Not really, until recently diesels were the engine of choice in Europe. Also, since many “luxury” sports cars are business perks (the company offers a stipend to buy a vehicle), more often than not the entry level car is the choice (200 hp petrol) for those whose ownership is only going to be three years or so.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
EU is a whole different ball game....they tax you to death on CO2 emissions, engine size, power and so on...taxman imagination has no limit....then there is ridiculously high VaT, licensing fees, local fees, congestion charges etc etc....I lives in Denmark for a while where licensing fee on a new vehicle (in any other place called envy tax) was mind boggling 200%....it is no wonder that in EU there is always plethora of smaller engines to chose from and only some pick the largest ones....the whole turbo craze started in Italy because for a while engines over certain size were exorbitantly taxed...,for example my XM with 3.0 V6 was an envy of many italians in a country of supercars....in Denmark my 740 that I brought with me from Germany was cause for outrage by local commies in Frederiksborg and would collect an ocasional egg here and there...
Then there is fuel taxation...fuel is a global comodity so the difference between US and EU prices is mostly taxes....because diesel engines are more efficient tax policies favored diesel engines and consequentially diesel dominates EU markets...never mind that diesel polutes much more in face of EU eco nazis who push for even smaller engines via taxation.....so it is perfectly understandable why Giulia was launched in EU with diesels and less powerful petrol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That doesnt look like it should have been put into production sitting that far off the OEM tip.
I agree but it's not Matt's (or Alfa 9 Supply's) issue... Remus Sportexhaust is the manufacturer and they've been around for ages. They have a great reputation too which is why I'm kinda disappointed with the tip issue.

Matt did warn me in advance over a phone conversation but it wasn't like I was going to cancel my order over it. Everything works as intended, you'd never notice at the rear of the car unless you laid down on the pavement. My one concern however would be sitting at idle for long periods of time and having exhaust gasses somehow enter the cabin. At any movement speed or with any kind of breeze / wind it wouldn't be an issue. So it's not enough for me to go back and have them weld extensions on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Triumph23 Inwould very much appreciate it if you could make a short sound clip at startup, idling and a bit of revving....
I'm trying really hard to get good sound clips, both inside and outside of the car so people can get a feel for it. It's surprisingly difficult to do! In Metro-Detroit it's been terribly windy over the past two days and with the mic sitting on the ground behind the car the recording sounds terrible. I'm going to try again.

As for inside the car, I've gone for two long drives with an ad-hoc recording studio in my Giulia and all the recordings sound like ****. See attached. I thought this would work out great but the recording is full of rattling from the amazingly poor roads in my area. Repeated the process with the mic on the floor of the car and the audio was way too bass heavy and muted, plus I had the recording level set pretty high.

If anyone at all has recommendations on getting a couple of good sound clips, I'd really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doh, I forgot to include the picture. Used a Blue Snowball USB microphone w/ Audacity software on Windows.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Putting aside the recording ability for a bit, how is your ear perceiving the sound and performance in low speed and high speed driving, idling, town, freeway etc? How is the noise and any drone?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts