Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Executive Summary: The Remus axle-back (hereafter, RAB) exhaust is a subtle but transformative, satisfying addition to the Giulia, enhancing driving pleasure. If the stock exhaust sound is a zero on the pleasure scale, RAB elevates it to a 6.

For those wondering what a 6 on the pleasure scale means...

I purchased the RAB from Matt at Alfa9Supply, a forum sponsor-- thanks, Matt!-- and had it installed by Ann Arbor service shop, Steve Steeb Service. Steve is also a great guy, whom I've known for many years and enthusiastically recommend to those local.

Steve threw it on for me just yesterday, so I'm talking about initial impressions only, here.

Installation was uneventful, but it may be worth noting one thing. The end pipes of the RAB fit inside the factory tips, and while they sit fairly deep in from the outlet, the diameter is substantially narrower which makes the RAB visible within the tips, something I don't really like. I wasn't about to throw down another $600+ for the Remus carbon tips, but for those wanting a supersport look, it's something to be aware of. Now, it might be that the shiny, new RAB will soot up soon and be less visible in the tips, solving my complaint. I'll post a pic below.

RAB seems primarily to add depth and richness to the exhaust tone rather than sound pressure or volume. So, on a loudness scale, across the RPM range, RAB only really bumps it up one notch, from a 0 to a 1. Cold start is just a little bit louder, warm idle just a tiny bit louder, and driving in-cabin noise is just a bit louder.

Notably, the extra bass in the sound really manifests as vibration in the cabin, a gentle harmonic vibration through the seats. If alls quiet and you're really listening, you can sense a kind of booming from idle (900rpm) up through about 1.9k rpm. It's really unobtrusive, though, and if there is traffic noise, or the radio is on, or you're conversing in the car, it's almost unnoticeable. With the windows down, you won't hear it. I didn't tell my wife what I'd done to the car, and she said nothing after driving around for about 40 minutes last night!

At idle, a quick stab and lift of the throttle will induce popping. That's kind of fun.

Getting on the throttle, there's a nice growl to the exhaust; it's now a proper sports sedan. I had my brother do some various throttle passes as I stood on the side of the road, and I think the sound is mildly aggressive and refined, very appropriate to the car. There's none of the raw, edgy sound common to "boy racer" rides like the oft abused Subie WRXs, Focuses, or that lot.

From about 4.5k, there's a high pitched whooshing sound which may be the exhaust or the BMC filter giving life to the intake, I'm not sure. It didn't sound like that pre-exhaust, and it sounds like the exhaust, so I'm going with likely it's the exhaust. It's kinda cool, but not totally. Redline shifts create that deep, fluttering sound

With the windows open at road speeds, the exhaust can barely be heard at all, and definitely not from the outside in.

So yeah, the sound moves up to 6 on the Pleasure Scale, connecting the driver with the machine through sound. For those who want to connect those around them with the machine as well, I'd guess going straight to the Remus resonated cat-back would increase the sound pressure.

I haven't had a chance to make any decent vids yet, but here's one with my brother's weak throttle play, nonetheless induce some popping:

I'll try to make some proper vids soon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the great writeup, pics and video chaadster! I'm hoping to install mine next weekend. I too don't like the visibility of the real tips through the faux tips. If done over how would you hide them? Cut them short? Black paint on the tips? Both?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great writeup, pics and video chaadster! I'm hoping to install mine next weekend. I too don't like the visibility of the real tips through the faux tips. If done over how would you hide them? Cut them short? Black paint on the tips? Both?
You're welcome!

Were I to do the installation over again, I honestly don't think I'd go to any additional effort with regard to the exhaust ends. The ends sit deep in the tips already, so you really have to be viewing straight into the tip the to see the ends. Also, on day 2 of use, they're pretty sooted up and dark, and hardly visible, so it's a very small nitpick at this point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts