Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to remove the rear passenger headrests in their QV?

Owner’s manual says this:

To remove the head restraints, proceed as follows:
1. Raise the head restraints to their maximum height.
2. Push the adjustment button and the release button at the side of the two supports.
3. Remove the head restraints by pulling them upwards.

When we try to do this the headrest hits the roof. We've tried pushing up as much as possible but it won't come out. We are at a loss.

The reason to remove the headrest is for our son’s child seat to fit.

:frown2:

·
Registered
296 Posts
You are correct - just checked mine and it's the same...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong...on the Giulia (at least base/Ti) you can fold the rear headrest down, right? I've never done it

My thinking is, fold it down, and then lift it up ... I don't know ... Personally I don't think I've ever been in the back of my car, let alone looked -- Maybe I am thinking of a totally different car :/

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong...on the Giulia (at least base/Ti) you can fold the rear headrest down, right? I've never done it

My thinking is, fold it down, and then lift it up ... I don't know ... Personally I don't think I've ever been in the back of my car, let alone looked -- Maybe I am thinking of a totally different car :/
Tired to see if our QV would allow me to fold the rear headrest foward or down to help remove it. Did not work.

Our car seat for our son will work, but the headrest will not be locked in place. As tight as it is trying to remove it (and failed) I'm not too worried about the unlocked headrest. If it becomes dislodged, we've got bigger problems...

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
167 Posts
The QV was designed with a fixed rear seat as its an integral to keeping the chassis stiff I believe. PITA but I guess it is part of the package that makes this such a great handling car...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
Well then you're SOL. I'd chock it up to Italian quirkiness like lock/unlock switch being backwards, since when is unlock 'down' ?
On my Mazda's key fob. You get used to it after 15 years or so of hitting the wrong button.

On the headrest, I would give AlfaCares a try.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I noticed this quirk also when trying to install a child safety seat and access the rear tether anchor. In the QV it is impossible to remove the outboard headrests. Not sure about the center headrest. On the base and Ti with the folding rear seat, one must fold the seat down before the headrest can be removed or else you will be restricted by the low ceiling height.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
as per the manual re: rear headrest removal on the Quad....

1) Get the windows tinted by the company that did ATXQUAD's window tint

2) Intervene while they have the reat seat down and remove the headrest

3) Install child safety seat

4) Smile :laugh:

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
as per the manual re: rear headrest removal on the Quad....

1) Get the windows tinted by the company that did ATXQUAD's window tint

2) Intervene while they have the reat seat down and remove the headrest

3) Install child safety seat

4) Smile :laugh:
Or follow the illustration on the Italian Mopar accessories website and install a backward facing child seat in the front passenger position.
Apparently "unacceptably dangerous" n the USA is perfectly fine in Italy. One or the other isn't right...

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Or follow the illustration on the Italian Mopar accessories website and install a backward facing child seat in the front passenger position.
Apparently "unacceptably dangerous" n the USA is perfectly fine in Italy. One or the other isn't right...
The U.S. is worried about injury from the airbag. We Italians drank wine from our baby bottles.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Definitely a cultural difference that’s for sure. In my experience, Italians are much more blasé about safety in general and more fatalistic. I don’t know if it’s an over reliance on St. Christopher, or ignorance, or what. But driving in Italy, at least southern Italy, is a bit crazy. Between the ubiquitous motorinos, Apes, and 30 year old Fiats everywhere, Italians probably feel safer riding in a new Giulia without a safety belt than they do in most other common forms of transportation.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Definitely a cultural difference that’s for sure. In my experience, Italians are much more blasé about safety in general and more fatalistic. I don’t know if it’s an over reliance on St. Christopher, or ignorance, or what. But driving in Italy, at least southern Italy, is a bit crazy. Between the ubiquitous motorinos, Apes, and 30 year old Fiats everywhere, Italians probably feel safer riding in a new Giulia without a safety belt than they do in most other common forms of transportation.
Well it's probably more that US is lawsuit happy and over regulated. But other than that, yes Italians are more blasé and doing just fine :grin2:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well then you're SOL. I'd chock it up to Italian quirkiness like lock/unlock switch being backwards, since when is unlock 'down' ?
Same as my Audi

·
Registered
203 Posts
Has anyone been able to remove the rear passenger headrests in their QV?

Owner’s manual says this:

To remove the head restraints, proceed as follows:
1. Raise the head restraints to their maximum height.
2. Push the adjustment button and the release button at the side of the two supports.
3. Remove the head restraints by pulling them upwards.

When we try to do this the headrest hits the roof. We've tried pushing up as much as possible but it won't come out. We are at a loss.

The reason to remove the headrest is for our son’s child seat to fit.

:frown2:

If it is like the other Alfas I own the removal procedure will be something like: Remove the seat squab by having an assistant help lift and twist for easy removal and access to the backrest release using special Alfa tool BR40032. After extracting the backrest from the car the headrest can now be removed. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly making sure to torque all fasteners to specified values.

Reactions: hkfears
1 - 20 of 21 Posts