Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Question for @MADNESS Autoworks

Is the Gopedal's throttle response modification absolute or relative to the DNA mode?

Meaning: once you choose a pedal setting (let's say Sport), does the throttle response change if we switch from A to N to D? Or does it stay the same
I don't know about the Gopedal specifically but based on Seletron Pedal Booster (am in Europe/UK) which is similar, if I put in Sport setting, it increases the throttle response by say 50% 'RELATIVE' to the DNA setting's throttle response which means you still see different throttle response in each of the DNA modes. For me specifically, I leave it in City setting (+25%) in A mode and now I drive in A most of the time while cruising to work. Throttle lag is gone and A feel very nice and relaxed to drive. I use Sport setting for D and N modes and throttle is now sharp and fun. My guess is GoPedal will be similar, these are basiccally applying an X% increase in throttle response before the throttle position signal is sent to the ECU which still controls the throttle mapping in each of the DNA modes. Because this is pre-ECU, there are/can be no errors. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry for the delay in my review - been doing a lot of traveling, got married, and didn’t have much opportunity to drive my QV.

The verdict?
I’m not sure yet.
It seems to me that what the GOPedal in effect is doing is increasing the throttle more than how much you are applying it - so yes partly pressing the throttle makes the car take off much more and give you the impression that it has much more power down low.
My concern is depending on the setting you use, the throttle almost seems to be an On-Off switch vs gradually increasing it as you press (this is the case in the more aggressive settings on the GOPedal).
So if you were to use this on a race track - with turns - you may be putting a lot more power down than you want at times (turns) - and that could get you into trouble.

So I am not sure if I am sold on it yet.

My .02 so far...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I don't know about the Gopedal specifically but based on <other product> (am in Europe/UK) which is similar, if I put in Sport setting, it increases the throttle response by say 50% 'RELATIVE' to the DNA setting's throttle response which means you still see different throttle response in each of the DNA modes. For me specifically, I leave it in City setting (+25%) in A mode and now I drive in A most of the time while cruising to work. Throttle lag is gone and A feel very nice and relaxed to drive. I use Sport setting for D and N modes and throttle is now sharp and fun. My guess is GoPedal will be similar, these are basiccally applying an X% increase in throttle response before the throttle position signal is sent to the ECU which still controls the throttle mapping in each of the DNA modes. Because this is pre-ECU, there are/can be no errors. Hope this makes sense.
It does, thanks. I believe the GoPedal works in this way too.

What I am looking for is mostly a way to reduce the pedal lag in N mode, to a similar level of the lag in dynamic manual (paddleshift) mode which is almost instant.
In my experience, if I'm in auto N mode and I push the gas 100% vs 25% the only difference is in the gear selected and the amount of power I get to the wheels, but the lag is the same, about one second.
Therefore, if all this system does is multiply my travel by X amount that is not going to be much help, I can push the pedal further myself.
If on the other hand it actually reduces the time from when I push the pedal to the gas response then it would be great. I find that difficult though, as this sounds more like an ECU setting. I don't think the pedal signal is being delayed but rather it's the ECU that is deciding how much delay to introduce between the pedal signal received and the accelerate signal sent to the engine.

Do you think the pedal responsiveness delay is actually decreased? Or is it just more power to the wheels

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Have you guys thought about a cold air intake to help with the lag? It really reduced the lag time in my car.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It does, thanks. I believe the GoPedal works in this way too.

What I am looking for is mostly a way to reduce the pedal lag in N mode, to a similar level of the lag in dynamic manual (paddleshift) mode which is almost instant.
In my experience, if I'm in auto N mode and I push the gas 100% vs 25% the only difference is in the gear selected and the amount of power I get to the wheels, but the lag is the same, about one second.
Therefore, if all this system does is multiply my travel by X amount that is not going to be much help, I can push the pedal further myself.
If on the other hand it actually reduces the time from when I push the pedal to the gas response then it would be great. I find that difficult though, as this sounds more like an ECU setting. I don't think the pedal signal is being delayed but rather it's the ECU that is deciding how much delay to introduce between the pedal signal received and the accelerate signal sent to the engine.

Do you think the pedal responsiveness delay is actually decreased? Or is it just more power to the wheels
Like I said, I drive my car in A most of the time when cruising to work and the delay/lag with throttle response is substantially decreased even with the 25% City setting on the Pedal Booster I have. In N mode with Sport setting its more closer to D and Sport in D is now nearly instant. So, yes it does reduce the time of response IMO and makes the lag a lot less noticeable.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Have you guys thought about a cold air intake to help with the lag? It really reduced the lag time in my car.
I'll definitely get the intake after the first dealer service. That will take care of the real turbo lag.

What I would like to address now is the fake lag. The one artificially induced by the ECU that is clearly noticeable when switching DNA mode. Maybe it has something to do with N and A modes engaging the clutch a lot more...

EDIT: reading some old posts, it seems this does actually reduce the response time. I think it's going to be the Black Friday gift to myself :D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I can confirm the reduction in lag with the V2 CAI that you and I both have. I've only had it a few days, but I've noticed the acceleration response is gradually improving, as though the computer is learning the new intake. Have you noticed anything like this?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I noticed it right away, but as I am retired sometimes the car sits for a day or two while I ride my motorcycle as the weather hasn't turned to bad yet. As I stated before, these two mods are a "great bang for the buck".

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sorry for the delay in my review - been doing a lot of traveling, got married, and didn’t have much opportunity to drive my QV.

The verdict?
I’m not sure yet.
It seems to me that what the GOPedal in effect is doing is increasing the throttle more than how much you are applying it - so yes partly pressing the throttle makes the car take off much more and give you the impression that it has much more power down low.
My concern is depending on the setting you use, the throttle almost seems to be an On-Off switch vs gradually increasing it as you press (this is the case in the more aggressive settings on the GOPedal).
So if you were to use this on a race track - with turns - you may be putting a lot more power down than you want at times (turns) - and that could get you into trouble.

So I am not sure if I am sold on it yet.
After a week with my GO Pedal, I 100% agree with all of this.

On the QV, it makes N mode throttle feel like D mode. Which begs the question... why wouldn't I just use D mode? In D mode and Race mode, it's complete overkill. There's no more half throttle in these modes- you touch the accelerator and you're at warp speed. It sounds cool when I say it that way, but it's very difficult to modulate. And I change driving modes so often that having to change the GO Pedal settings as well is cumbersome. All in all, it does exactly what it's supposed to... I'm just not sure it's of any benefit on the QV. However, on a base model or Ti, it would be fantastic to improve the throttle response to make it more sporty.

·
Vendor
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
After a week with my GO Pedal, I 100% agree with all of this.

On the QV, it makes N mode throttle feel like D mode. Which begs the question... why wouldn't I just use D mode? In D mode and Race mode, it's complete overkill. There's no more half throttle in these modes- you touch the accelerator and you're at warp speed. It sounds cool when I say it that way, but it's very difficult to modulate. And I change driving modes so often that having to change the GO Pedal settings as well is cumbersome. All in all, it does exactly what it's supposed to... I'm just not sure it's of any benefit on the QV. However, on a base model or Ti, it would be fantastic to improve the throttle response to make it more sporty.
Thank you for your honest feedback. On the QV it is sensitive, but with 18 settings available getting it set up just right (to your liking is key).

As a side note for all. We have a new module (not replacing the GOPedal, but a newer deluxe version) coming in the weeks ahead that will allow you to custom map the module to your liking along with many more features.

·
Vendor
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
As an FYI...

We are in the final portion of testing prototypes of intakes and once we are ready to release the final version we will offer a package deal. Those that already bought a GOPedal from us will get a discount towards an intake.

We have gone away from an open intake design to something that we believe will work better. We have worked on several versions and are still testing some final items, but it looks like we are going to go with a sealed system for the benefit of performance, service and overall filtration. Once we have everything done and ready we will show everything in detail to those that may be interested.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would say the original title of this thread is incorrect.
“Remove Initial Lag On Your Alfa Romeo Giulia With Our MADNESS GOPedal”

The GOPedal does not remove the initial lag.
It’s simply a throttle position enhancer - in other words it provides more throttle with less actual input from your foot/pedal.

Apperantly on the 2.0L this really makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.
On the QV, my opinion is it turns the throttle into almost an On/off switch.

Madness backs up this product with a 30 day money back guarantee so feel free to give it a try and see if you like it. They refunded my money promptly - all you lose out on is shipping costs.

Alfa really should do something about the initial lag with a software change - an old fashion carburetor with a distributor cap and points from 1973 had no lag at all. Is this added to the software to prevent the unintended acceleration issue that plagued Audi so many years ago...

Of course when you apply the throttle and brake at the same time, you can really launch the car.
If you are just sitting there at a stop and suddenly need to accelerate to get out of the way quickly, you are out of luck. That is a safety issue.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I would say the original title of this thread is incorrect.
“Remove Initial Lag On Your Alfa Romeo Giulia With Our MADNESS GOPedal”

The GOPedal does not remove the initial lag.
It’s simply a throttle position enhancer - in other words it provides more throttle with less actual input from your foot/pedal.

Apperantly on the 2.0L this really makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.
On the QV, my opinion is it turns the throttle into almost an On/off switch.

Madness backs up this product with a 30 day money back guarantee so feel free to give it a try and see if you like it. They refunded my money promptly - all you lose out on is shipping costs.

Alfa really should do something about the initial lag with a software change - an old fashion carburetor with a distributor cap and points from 1973 had no lag at all. Is this added to the software to prevent the unintended acceleration issue that plagued Audi so many years ago...

Of course when you apply the throttle and brake at the same time, you can really launch the car.
If you are just sitting there at a stop and suddenly need to accelerate to get out of the way quickly, you are out of luck. That is a safety issue.
100% agree with everything in your post. The lag from a dead stop is unacceptable IMO.

·
Vendor
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #77

·
Vendor
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Thousands of satisfied enthusiasts from all over the world have purchased and use the original MADNESS GOPedal. Now we are proud to introduce the next generation of Plug-In Throttle Pedal Tuning. Our new Bluetooth Controlled MADNESS GOPedal Plus is here! As good as the original GOPedal is the new Plus version is even better!

With the added Bluetooth connection you no longer need to mount a controller to your dash. The additional modes in the Plus model such as the Protect mode, which cuts off all input from the throttle, lets the GOPedal Plus double has an anti-theft device!

GOPedal Plus
https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-Alfa Romeo-Giulia/alfa-romeo-giulia-madness-gopedal-plus-bluetooth-pid7526

GOPedal
https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-Alfa Romeo-Giulia/alfa-romeo-giulia-madness-gopedal-pid7066

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thousands of satisfied enthusiasts from all over the world have purchased and use the original MADNESS GOPedal. Now we are proud to introduce the next generation of Plug-In Throttle Pedal Tuning. Our new Bluetooth Controlled MADNESS GOPedal Plus is here! As good as the original GOPedal is the new Plus version is even better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22pAJWM4DDo

With the added Bluetooth connection you no longer need to mount a controller to your dash. The additional modes in the Plus model such as the Protect mode, which cuts off all input from the throttle, lets the GOPedal Plus double has an anti-theft device!

GOPedal Plus
https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-Alfa Romeo-Giulia/alfa-romeo-giulia-madness-gopedal-plus-bluetooth-pid7526

GOPedal
https://madnessautoworks.com/2018-Alfa Romeo-Giulia/alfa-romeo-giulia-madness-gopedal-pid7066

I recently got the go pedal plus and it would be nice if there was a write up on what things mean in the individual settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

61 - 80 of 117 Posts