Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is that non US Giulias have a FOB one touch hold to open all windows and close all windows. I would love to have this. Is the functionality in the FOB or the car or both? Can it be programmed in to a US car?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Yes, I've heard that's the case too, or at least for Australia market cars. It certainly would be a nice feature to have! Guessing, I'd think it's an easy mode to enable (in the BCM?) with the WiTech tool (or whatever it's called) for the dealer.

I'm assuming here that it is roughly analagous to the Daytime Running Lights mode on my old '11 Ford Flex. I'd wanted to have the feature, and learned it was standard in Canada market Flex. I called my dealer with some details I'd gathered from a Canadian dealer service department, and my local service was able to enable DRLs on mine in about 10 minutes. I didn't even have enough time to finish a cup of coffee!

If you look into this, please keep us apprised of developments!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My DD (VW GTI) didn't have this feature, but it could be programmed via the computer if you had the "VAGCOM" software. I imagine the same will be true for the Giulia. Just need to find someone who can do the mods to the software.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
We have a couple EU members... hopefully they can chime in if their fobs open and close the windows.

When I first got my car at the very beginning of 2017, I noticed the owners manual mentioned the close/open feature of the keyfob remote. I called Alfa's customer care and let them know it was "defective". They rewarded me by sending me a 2nd set of owners manuals that supposedly were corrected for the USA market. Funny stuff, the manuals say the same thing. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I’m in Switzerland. I just checked. I can confirm that with the car off when I press the unlock button on the fob a second time and hold it down all the windows open. The reverse happens with the lock button ie windows go up. You can control how open or closed you want the windows by how long you hold the button down. I didnt know the fob had this feature until I just tried it now. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yup, pressing and holding the unlock button rolls down all 4 windows; while pressing and holding the lock button does the reverse.

Its a pretty common feature in cars here in Europe. A lot of car brands (those with a remote key anyways) have it as a 'common' feature. Don't know why the US would be different.

-krish

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup, pressing and holding the unlock button rolls down all 4 windows; while pressing and holding the lock button does the reverse.

Its a pretty common feature in cars here in Europe. A lot of car brands (those with a remote key anyways) have it as a 'common' feature. Don't know why the US would be different.

-krish
My guess is its security. I've heard others complain about their cars opening because the FOB got pushed in their pocket. That said I'd really really like it: take the heat out of the car on a hot day or close itty up if you realize it's starting to rain. My guess is the FOB won't help with the sunroof right? Crazy that the motor has to be on to open or close it. Worse than crazy, poor design.

Any way, anyone know how to unlock this feature in a US car?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My guess is its security. I've heard others complain about their cars opening because the FOB got pushed in their pocket. That said I'd really really like it: take the heat out of the car on a hot day or close itty up if you realize it's starting to rain. My guess is the FOB won't help with the sunroof right? Crazy that the motor has to be on to open or close it. Worse than crazy, poor design.
I would love to know. but on a side note, the motor does not need to be on to operate the sunroof. All you need is the dash to be be on, just like for the windows.

I wonder if our fobs in Europe are the same as those in the US. Here is a pic of mine (Euro). I haven’t had any issue with it in my pocket unintentionally unlocking the car or the panic buttton going off. Not even sure if there is a panic button on mine.
Fobs are slightly different, ours have a big PANIC button in the third row, and remote start and trunk opener in the second row.
I think this functionality is on the car BCM though, not on the fob.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wonder if our fobs in Europe are the same as those in the US. Here is a pic of mine (Euro). I haven’t had any issue with it in my pocket unintentionally unlocking the car or the panic buttton going off. Not even sure if there is a panic button on mine.
Here is USA fob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
This is common feature in US as well, all audis come with it and on bmw you can code it later....I would think its exclusion mighr have something to do with remote start option.....also it would be easy to code if we only had the open market coding tools like germans do...am pretty sure it is just disabled on US bound cars

·
Registered
765 Posts
Here is USA fob
Is this the same fob for the QV in the US. I don’t have remote start. Maybe that is because I have manual transmission though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Is this the same fob for the QV in the US. I don’t have remote start. Maybe that is because I have manual transmission though.
i can see it now, if we had remote start on manual cars here in US.. wake up in the morning press remote start and BAM surprise! the car is in the living room :grin2:

·
Registered
582 Posts

Many years ago (probably very early 2000's) someone told me it was because of the lawsuit-happy culture of NA and the potential lawsuit if someone's head or arm getting pinched and injured.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts