Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd question but one I haven't been able to find an answer for. Does the remote engine start have a timeout?

For example if I remote start the Giulia but never get in and push the start stop button.
  • Does the Giulia idle until it runs out of gas.
  • Does it run until the gas reaches some minimum level?
  • Does it timeout after some interval for example 15 minutes and stop the engine?

I'm hoping someone here knows the answer and a practical experiment will not be required.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well, I could not find it in the owners manual or the guide. I think it will run for 10 minutes before shutting down. I have yet to confirm this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As I recall, there also has to be certain level of gas in it to remote run, so no, it won't run out of gas.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If low on gas, it will start from the remote start, but only run for about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,476 Posts
If low on gas, it will start from the remote start, but only run for about 30 seconds.
Which makes little sense to me. I'd rather have it not start at all than run only for that brief duration.

Reactions: KCnDCMetro and ybba

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Which makes little sense to me. I'd rather have it not start at all than run only for that brief duration.
I think I read somewhere in manual that remote will not start if fuel is too low....Eliss might have been right at the threshold of required fuel level when remote starting...I never really go below 3 bars on fuel gauge and have never experienced car not starting

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I learned about the low fuel start-stop shutoff and it scared me.

One time last summer I started the car while I was still in the house. The sound reverberates in the garage and it's easy to hear the car running. Well the car ran for about a minute and then it shut off.

I tried to restart the car with the remote control and it would acknowledge the key remote control key press but would not turb over. I thought the worst.... I thought the engine seized or something seriously broke.

When I got in the car, it fired up with the start stop button no problem! Then, I realized that the low fuel indicator was "on".

So for the first minute the car auto-started and ran fine, the fuel level was in the normal range. But a minute later it obviously went into the low-fuel warning and that is when the fail-safe shut the car off.

Not sure on the normal timing of the auto-start run-time duration? Would think this is adjustable in the car settings is it not?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I set the horn confirmation 'on' for the remote start. First horn acknowledge the command and there is a brief 5 sec before the second horn and the start of engine. I have experienced in a cold morning the first horn sound but did not followed by 2nd and subsequent start. I assuming some system check deemed the remote start should not be performed. I can't recall that was a low fuel situation in my case.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Paraphrasing the Owners Manual 2017 Page 137

Remote Starting System

This system uses the key fob to start the engine conveniently from outside the vehicle while still maintaining security. The system has a range of at least 300 feet (91 meters). The remote starting system also activates the climate control.

Note: Obstructions between the vehicle and key fob may reduce this range.

How to use Remote Start, all of the following conditions must be met before the engine will remote start:
-Gear selector in PARK (P).
-Doors closed.
-Hood closed.
-Trunk closed.
-Hazard switch off.
-Brake switch inactive (brake pedal not pressed).
-Battery at an acceptable charge level.
-PANIC button not pushed.
-System not disabled from previous remote start event.
-Vehicle alarm system indicator flashing.
-Ignition in the OFF mode (if equipped with keyless ignition system).
-Fuel level meets minimum requirement.

·
Registered
332 Posts
yup, i've had it time out after 10 minutes starting running around trying to get my two year old ready for school.

low fuels as others have described - on then off after a few seconds, really dumb programming there.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
How to?

I learned about the low fuel start-stop shutoff and it scared me.

One time last summer I started the car while I was still in the house. The sound reverberates in the garage and it's easy to hear the car running. Well the car ran for about a minute and then it shut off.

I tried to restart the car with the remote control and it would acknowledge the key remote control key press but would not turb over. I thought the worst.... I thought the engine seized or something seriously broke.

When I got in the car, it fired up with the start stop button no problem! Then, I realized that the low fuel indicator was "on".

So for the first minute the car auto-started and ran fine, the fuel level was in the normal range. But a minute later it obviously went into the low-fuel warning and that is when the fail-safe shut the car off.

Not sure on the normal timing of the auto-start run-time duration? Would think this is adjustable in the car settings is it not?
I hit the remote start button twice but it beeps but nothing happens. QV 2017

·
Registered
573 Posts
I found that if I am too quick with the 2 pushes it doesn't work. MY18 Ti.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts