Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfa has released Rapid Response #17-022 for customer that may have an issue with the remote start not working sometimes. Contact your dealer, they can check to see if your car is affected.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Alfa has released Rapid Response #17-022 for customer that may have an issue with the remote start not working sometimes. Contact your dealer, they can check to see if your car is affected.
Thanks for the info, will be calling my dealer today as I have had a few issues with it not starting after pushing the buttons.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for the note, mine never did work on remote from day one (but I don't have any use for the feature, i am sure it is a good thing in really cold weather)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I tried it on the cold day I picked up the car. I don't think it even started from the remote, but assumed I did it incorrectly. Perhaps I've dodged a bullet by not trying it again?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is this a thing in the US, to start your car remotly?

We dont have this feature over here in the EU but I neither understand nor miss it.

Can someone explain to me when this would be a helpful feature?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm in the US, and I don't get it either. Not good for the car to idle to warm up. Best to start right out, drive conservatively until engine temp is closer to nominal. Believe it or not, the first thing my mother (78 years old and very tech-savvy) said to me was, "can you start it from your iPhone with the appropriate app?" !!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use it everyday, I just like hearing the engine and exhaust note(as quiet as it is for now), and IMO I don't think the whole 30 seconds between me starting and driving off will really matter.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Never tried it..in fact the first time the CEL was triggered the Tech asked if I used the remote start...(my reply...didn't even know it was a feature)...not something I'd use really...much like the HUD on another car we have...always turned off...glad though that Alfa is documenting these little foibles and letting owners know..

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I use the auto-start feature on cars regularly. Beside the creature comfort benefits, I think of the mechanical.

Upon a cold-start condition, car ECU's are programmed for "fast idle" to bring raise exhaust gas temperatures right away for lower emissions. The cold-start idle is often times 1100-1300 rpm.

Does the term "neutral drop" mean anything to anyone? LOL. This goes back to a time when transmissions were not electronically controlled.

Anyhow, my thought is that it is better to put a car into Drive or Reverse at the regular idle of ~800rpm rather than at the high warm-up idle of 1100-1300rpm.

Slipping clutches, torque converter engagement and forcible connection of moving components. Seems like those components would have less wear and tear over the long term at 800rpm engagement vs. 1100+

Perhaps I'm splitting hairs?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree! I'm thinking of people who start remotely and the car idles until it times out in 10 minutes, then they start it all over for a second round before going out to the car, etc.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ok fellows I need some help. I just picked up my brand new Ti yesterday from my dealer in St. Louis, MO. The car looks fantastic I ordered it and it finally came in. The first thing I noticed was the remote start from the key fob would not work. My salesman and his manager told me that in North America the FCC has not approved the key fobs to activate the remote start. Is this BS? This is a feature that I use often with my other vehicles not to warm up but to cool off the interior. If there is anyone else in the US that the remote start works from the key fob I would love to hear from you, thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ok fellows I need some help. I just picked up my brand new Ti yesterday from my dealer in St. Louis, MO. The car looks fantastic I ordered it and it finally came in. The first thing I noticed was the remote start from the key fob would not work. My salesman and his manager told me that in North America the FCC has not approved the key fobs to activate the remote start. Is this BS? This is a feature that I use often with my other vehicles not to warm up but to cool off the interior. If there is anyone else in the US that the remote start works from the key fob I would love to hear from you, thanks.
Your salesman and his manager are full of BS... Never had an issue with remote start via the fob since early March and 3500 miles.. have a service loaner Ti right now and it operates the same way... no issues at all with remote start.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Is this a thing in the US, to start your car remotly?

We dont have this feature over here in the EU but I neither understand nor miss it.

Can someone explain to me when this would be a helpful feature?
Remote start is only available with an automatic transmission.

For those who use it because they need it, it is an important combination convenience/safety feature. If the car is parked outside in the cold and it is cold enough that your breath condenses on the windshield, it is not safe to drive until some heat can be applied to the windshield. Remote start saves the driver from needing to sit in the car while it warms up enough for the windshield defroster to work.

In places where the sun shines in the summer, interior components can get so hot that they cannot be grasped, also creating a safety issue. Remote starting the car allows the Air Conditioner to run enough to get the temperature down to something tolerable.

One thing before reporting that remote start is broken is to make certain that the vehicle is parked in the fashion required to use it (read the manual). I expect that the transmission must be in park and the parking brake must be set.

I dunno about elsewhere, but at my high desert location it gets hot enough to melt interior plastic components. I could post pictures of my truck's passenger side A post cover if you don't believe me. 38 degrees latitude, 5600 foot (1700 m) elevation, less than 5% humidity, 80F (27C) ambient air temp. It may have had help from a reflection.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Remote Start is only available in NAFTA. It's not available in other markets, regardless of gearbox (and the majority of European Giulias are automatic, btw)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thank you Gfrfan that's what I thought, so you are in Seattle and yours works. I knew that had to be BS. When I press the remote start button twice like it says to do on the fob. The lights flash and the horn sounds but the car will not start. I did this at the dealership with both of them standing there. I have a call into the dealership now, thank you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My TI remote starts also

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks riparke you are in Nebraska, they are just full of **** and there's something wrong with my remote start and it has to be an issue with the car cause I tried it from both key fobs and neither one will remote start my car. UGH

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
My remote start also works on my Ti Q2. No problems at all. Have you checked the setting menus to see if there is anything concerning remote start?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mine works 50% of the time. It runs a lot of pre-checks and if any fails it won't start. It never tells you when those prechecks fail though. I've stood 2 feet from the car and hit it twice and it acknowledges with horn beeps but nada.

I will say that maybe my process is "wrong". On my old Ford you had to hit lock then start, start. I have a bad habit of doing that and when I do that it seems to fail. If I just hit start start then I usually get it.

Seems like there is a time delay on any input preceding the start, start command.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts