Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,440 Posts
Wasn't there an aftermarket solution, not just for alfa, called viper or something like that?

Yes, this is what I'm thinking of:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Curious why you want it. I rarely use remote start and, based on posts over the years, believe I'm far from being alone in that. I'm sure there are legitimate reasons that don't occur or apply to me.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curious why you want it. I rarely use remote start and, based on posts over the years, believe I'm far from being alone in that. I'm sure there are legitimate reasons that don't occur or apply to me.
I use it daily on my truck. My daughter used it on the truck when she drove it. She would start the truck up while in school and it would be warmed up or cooled down inside by the time she got in. I do it for the same reason. The key fob might be out of range. When checking out of the grocery story, I remote start. Love that feature.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
I usually don’t like to let my cars idle for more than a few minutes, but when it’s 117 degrees here in Vegas I’ll use the remote start app when taking the elevator to parking garage to get AC working.

Always seems silly when a brand like Ford includes something 5 years at no charge and a premium brand charges for it just because (BMW with CarPlay anyone?). I guess my parents did drop $65,000 cash on a 2016 F150 (brand new) which at that price for a half ton I’d expect the truck to include remote start and a bidet… but I digress.

You should still have the key fob remote start option which should get anywhere from your house at least to start the car. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: brentkhack

·
Registered
426 Posts
You wouldn't use that feature here.

Whilst Alfa's are not (fortunately) high risk theft or hijack vehicles here, the thought of leaving one unattended whilst it's ticking over would be far too great a temptation for many...

Could only be used in your own lock up garage, but then you have the hassle of putting on your gas mask or aqua-lung when entering said garage due to CO2 overload... :unsure: 🥴🤢

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ve used the remote start from app a few times. It’s nice. The fact that it’ll be $25/month after the trial runs out irks me to no end.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Whilst Alfa's are not (fortunately) high risk theft or hijack vehicles here, the thought of leaving one unattended whilst it's ticking over would be far too great a temptation for many...

Could only be used in your own lock up garage, but then you have the hassle of putting on your gas mask or aqua-lung when entering said garage due to CO2 overload... :unsure: 🥴🤢
would still need to key to fully turn on and drive the car right?

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
I’ve used the remote start from app a few times. It’s nice. The fact that it’ll be $25/month after the trial runs out irks me to no end.
The new revenue model for connected services is going to annoy a lot of people and take time to refine. I, for one, have never renewed a satellite radio subscription.

·
Registered
426 Posts
would still need to key to fully turn on and drive the car right?
I dunno. What's the use of this feature if you can't start the motor?

I think we can drive our cars without the key being detected (after it's been turned over with the key, of course). You will just have that interminable bong in your ears whilst fleeing for the chop shop.... er hills...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dunno. What's the use of this feature if you can't start the motor?

I think we can drive our cars without the key being detected (after it's been turned over with the key, of course). You will just have that interminable bong in your ears whilst fleeing for the chop shop.... er hills...
I am sure if someone got into the car without the key, you will not be able to take off. AR and all other auto builders would make that a requirement for theft reasons. I just know on my truck, all systems are not on, mainly the engine and HVAC.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts

Also handy to have a disposable car in which to engage in a crime spree. Why not an Alfa or an Audi? Ride in style, and swiftly.

Reactions: Alfa Nut

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
530 Posts
I am sure if someone got into the car without the key, you will not be able to take off. AR and all other auto builders would make that a requirement for theft reasons. I just know on my truck, all systems are not on, mainly the engine and HVAC.
A few years ago when I worked for Enterprise one of our rental agents gave a customer a Mustang. Unfortunately the agent used the starter button while the fob was still in his pocket. The customer drove away; then the agent realized he still had the key. After a frantic call to customer's cell phone he returned to the lot to retrieve the key. Of course we speculated on what could have happened if he had stopped somewhere and turned the car off...

Reactions: Alfa Nut

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to click lock, start, start to remote start from the fob. Or I click on the start button on my phone. It is locked each time, so I am not worried about someone taking off. But you do see where people with active fobs are getting gas. Criminals will distract the person getting gas, while another person gets in the car on the passenger side. They either take off with the car, or steal something. Always take the key with you and lock the doors when getting gas. Always.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
I have to click lock, start, start to remote start from the fob. Or I click on the start button on my phone. It is locked each time, so I am not worried about someone taking off. But you do see where people with active fobs are getting gas. Criminals will distract the person getting gas, while another person gets in the car on the passenger side. They either take off with the car, or steal something. Always take the key with you and lock the doors when getting gas. Always.
Little difficult to do with the Alfa when the gas cap is locked when the car is locked....

People pay so little attention to their surroundings these days. A tiny bit of situational awareness will most likely keep you from getting ripped off.

Only criminals and cops pay attention to their surroundings and body language anymore... If they see you paying attention, they'll wait for an easier mark (usually).

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,440 Posts
I think the idea is you start the car to warm it up in cold climates, and while the engine turns on, you can't actually drive the vehicle unless the fob is inside it, but I've never actually tired. Would be an interesting experiment. That said, I never use the remote start feature.

Reactions: brentkhack
1 - 19 of 19 Posts