Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I just picked up the Giulia and for some reason the remote start option on the key doesn't really work for me. I've been able to turn on the car twice by using that option on the key, but that's about it. I press the button twice and it just flashes the lights as if i were locking the doors. Any ideas of what it might be from? Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Klacho, I've found issues with remote start in two instances 1) distance... for me it works within 100' but not much more... 2) if the car was just turned off. A couple of times I've tried this within 1-10 minutes from turnoff, and remote start hasn't worked.. Not sure if either of these apply to your case.. You could have an issue with the transmitter in your FOB..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey guys, so I just picked up the Giulia and for some reason the remote start option on the key doesn't really work for me. I've been able to turn on the car twice by using that option on the key, but that's about it. I press the button twice and it just flashes the lights as if i were locking the doors. Any ideas of what it might be from? Am I doing something wrong?
How much fuel left in the tank? If it's low it may not start

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Klacho, I've found issues with remote start in two instances 1) distance... for me it works within 100' but not much more... 2) if the car was just turned off. A couple of times I've tried this within 1-10 minutes from turnoff, and remote start hasn't worked.. Not sure if either of these apply to your case.. You could have an issue with the transmitter in your FOB..
I've tried it from both close distance and far and it only worked from close distance. I've tried to do it the next day after parking the car and it still wouldn't work. I'm assuming I might have to take it to dealer and see what they can do. Thanks Gfrfan

·
Registered
343 Posts
Wow...it's funny how some of these quirks affect some cars and not others (well, I'm sue it's not funny if it's happening to you). I frequently use my remote start so my car is warmed up and the inside cool before I leave work. It's worked from inside my office, on the second floor, interior, of a building with the car not even in line of site. I started it from inside the grocery store before too.

I have noticed you have to hit the button twice, quickly, but other than that it's worked great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've only had the car for 2 days, so the tank is still full. Thanks for the help though.
Khacho, one other thing: My car needed a break-in period for start/stop to work..I think it was at 300 miles that this (now annoying) feature started working. Unfortunately I didn't try remote start until after this point. But the owners manual references that the start/stop feature may not work until the engine is established; maybe this is the same for your remote start.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the remote start update and it is still very hit or miss. Lights flash,horn honks and I can hear the fuel pump start but nothing. I ways keep my keys in my messanger back so it really doesn't matter to much.

·
Registered
94 Posts

There is a software flash to address this issue with the cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone -- per my dealership service department and the service history that FCA shows, the body control module reprogram that should fix the remote start issue was completed on my car at the time of PDI at the end of March. I wanted to verify that the BCM update is indeed the fix for the remote start issue? Anyone else experiencing issues after the update?

·
Registered
14 Posts
After messing around with the remote start a little bit more and talking with someone at FCA I have determined -- that in my case at least -- the remote start was user error on my part.

My vehicle had the body control module update completed at the time of PDI, so my vehicle hasn't exhibited some of the issues that you may have experienced.

Anyhow, as an FCA loyal customer I tried to use the Giulia's remote start system in the exact same fashion as my Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles in past. After all, the passive entry fob and remote start button looks the exact same, right? Well, not the case.

I usually instinctively press the 'lock' button on the remote before pressing the remote start button twice to remote start the car. This works fine on my pre-Fiat era FCA vehicles, but not here. As it was explained to me by FCA, pressing the 'lock' button on the Giulia's system temporarily 'wakes' the alarm system and keeps the vehicle from accepting the remote start command (lights will flash and vehicle will honk, but not remote start).

Simply put, press the remote start button twice and nothing else, otherwise remote start won't work (even if the horn may honk and the lights may flash). Also, after locking the vehicle and walking away from it I have noticed a need for 10 minutes or so to pass in order to remote start the vehicle once more (not that this would come up often, but just trying to try all sorts of cases). As FCA explained, this time is needed for the security system to be in a state to accept the remote start request.

Any questions, let me know... maybe I can get some more detailed answers from FCA.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,476 Posts
My remote start worked through a parking garage concrete wall today. I find that patience helps; the Giulia's remote takes something like 2-3 times as long as other cars I've had with the feature. Give it a moment after the lights flash before hitting the button (or another button on the fob) again.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,476 Posts
Any questions, let me know... maybe I can get some more detailed answers from FCA.
Good information. Thanks. Did you simply call one of FCA's toll-free phone numbers, or do you have a contact there?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My remote start worked through a parking garage concrete wall today. I find that patience helps; the Giulia's remote takes something like 2-3 times as long as other cars I've had with the feature. Give it a moment after the lights flash before hitting the button (or another button on the fob) again.
The remote start is definitely slower than any other vehicle I've owned.

I ultimately contacted an FCA technical advisor with my question. I wouldn't normally reach out to them, but my work is related so I have contacts here and there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Finally figured it out

Had a heck of a time trying to remote start our Giulia -- until I discovered the following "rhythm" to it.

I basically count slowly to 5, pressing the remote button on 1, releasing on 2, pressing again on 3 -- and holding until 5. Like this:

1 2 3 4 5
_ ____

A couple of seconds later, the car will honk the horn. Then, several seconds later, the engine starts.

Would appreciate knowing if this helps anyone!

·
Registered
343 Posts
My remote start has works fine, but yesterday I used it in a parking garage. When I got to my car, it was running. I opened the driver's door, then decided I wanted to look at something over the wall of the garage. I left the door open and had the key fob in my pocket. As I stepped away from the car, the engine shut off. Does anyone know, is this some sort of safety feature?

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Will give it a try

I basically count slowly to 5, pressing the remote button on 1, releasing on 2, pressing again on 3 -- and holding until 5. Like this:
1 2 3 4 5
_ ____

Would appreciate knowing if this helps anyone!

Just jumping in on an old thread here, because my remote start does not work. The car honks and the lights flash, but it won't start. I've been careful about pushing it slowly, because the dealer cautioned me to do it very deliberately.
Using your illustration, I've been doing this:
1 2 3 4 5 6
___. ___.
I will give your suggestion a try and let you know.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My QV was built in mid May and definitely has an issue with remote start. Frequently will not start or will start run briefly and shut off and error out. I've had to turn on / off several times with the steering wheel button before the car would respond. Can anyone advise on what to expect with regard to the software update required?

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Remote chance but remote start started remotely.

Just jumping in on an old thread here, because my remote start does not work. The car honks and the lights flash, but it won't start. I've been careful about pushing it slowly, because the dealer cautioned me to do it very deliberately.
Using your illustration, I've been doing this:
1 2 3 4 5 6
___. ___.
I will give your suggestion a try and let you know.
@SBD,
I gave your timing suggestion a shot last night, but sadly it did nothing. My car didn't even do its pathetic little beeeep that it typically does when I try the remote start.
But then, for the heck of it, I tried again using my slow count method that I've done half-a-dozen times before with no success (i.e. press (count 1, 2, 3), release and wait (count 1, 2, 3), press (count 1, 2, 3) and voila! The darn thing made a grinding noise and then started. First time it has ever worked. I'll try again today to see if it was a fluke.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts