Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
So I get this from Alfa Cares. Maybe I won't make this months payment.

Good Morning,

As of right now there is no update. I have not heard back from the dealership or my factory resources. Please let me know how you would like to proceed from here so that I may assist as much as I can.

·
Registered
411 Posts
But you really like that CTR huh. Was it the bleacher seat rear spoiler? Isn’t the focus way better power and handling for same money?
Actually, I find the CTR far too ugly for me to want to drive it, despite its performance. But still, I can be objective in seeing that there are better cars out there than the Giulia, instead of the blind fanaticism that is on display here.
The CTR was used as one example to show a car that is a better performance sedan than the Giulia, for less money. The Focus RS is another. The Golf R is another. The S3 is another (albeit a stretch on the MSRP, since a stripper S3 would be just cheaper than a fully loaded Giulia Ti).

Ultimately, as long as people continue to buy sedans or performance minded cars, then I think it's a good thing. It means those people aren't buying terrible SUVs.

Good Morning,

As of right now there is no update. I have not heard back from the dealership or my factory resources. Please let me know how you would like to proceed from here so that I may assist as much as I can.
Tough break, as they are usually pretty good with responding and getting to the bottom of people's issues/concerns. Stick with it, hopefully you can find a resolution soon

·
Registered
292 Posts
But still, I can be objective in seeing that there are better cars out there than the Giulia, instead of the blind fanaticism that is on display here.
The CTR was used as one example to show a car that is a better performance sedan than the Giulia, for less money. The Focus RS is another. The Golf R is another. The S3 is another (albeit a stretch on the MSRP, since a stripper S3 would be just cheaper than a fully loaded Giulia Ti).
"Best / Better" is obviously a highly subjective thing, however what one cannot argue is that unlike those vehicles you listed, only the Giulia was designed holistically for handling first and foremost. The S3 is a terrible, joyless bank vault to drive because it's a barely upgraded joyless A3. The RS is built on the an economy car with the worst interior in the industry, and is far too brittle to live with around town. The Civic's wow factor is that it's supposed to be high performance and communicative while also being Honda reliable and hatch practical. The reality is that a fair amount of the performance is due to the ultra sticky rubber bands that Honda ships the car with, all but requiring salt belt owners to downsize straight from the dealer. Not to mention the rev hang, mediocre steering feel, and intentionally terrible styling really dampen the adult-value of what is now a 40K car. A tuned base GTI with summer rubber and a rear swaybar will give you 95% of the CTR for ten grand less.

For me, there is nowhere else I can get a single package with 4 doors, true RWD+ system, 50/50 weight split, comfortable sport seats, Android Auto, and a heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Setup: I was thinking about this neutrally the other day while watching an older movie.

Disclaimer: I don't like to drive SUVs and I begrudgingly owned one or two as a stop gap during school years for my kids.

Thoughts: I realized watching some movies that cars for a long while were on raised platforms and decently sized. They obviously derived that high riding position from horse/bull drawn carts or for the more affluent, chariots. The lower slung sleeker looking cars started to come in post WW1. I didn't get time to figure out why that trend started. And I'm thankful for it. Because it gives us lovely cars such as the JLR E-type, and the Alfa Romeo Giulia. But to bad mouth SUVs is to bad mouth the very foundation of the car industry, isn't it?

WDTHTDWTT: Nothing. I'm sorry. I am really sorry.

Ultimately, as long as people continue to buy sedans or performance minded cars, then I think it's a good thing. It means those people aren't buying terrible SUVs.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

Good Morning,

at this point I'd be looking at the Lemon law if I were you. check what the criteria is for your state.
no one should have to go through this with ANY BRAND

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Handling, in a subjective manner, hard to argue your opinion.
Handling, in an objective manner, you're wrong. The CTR is a better handling car by all measured performance stats that involve handling.

Again, modified vs showroom stock. If you're replacing tires on the Giulia, then you can replace the tires on the CTR. The CTR will still outrun the Giulia 2.0T on a race track.

Desirability when choosing a basic commuter, absolutely.
But I doubt the fuel economy figures sold anyone on the Giulia over its competitors. And no one will ever claim fuel economy as a performance metric. When reviews come out on top of the line Ferraris and Lambos, fuel economy is rarely, if ever, mentioned unless it's a hybrid. So, yes this is a grasping for straws argument.
Handling is not objective. You are looking at performance measurements done with a professional driver who is able to overcome handling issues. I do not know if anyone has compared the handling of CTR to Giulia, I only know that pretty much everyone says that Giulia has the best handling of 4 door sedans in its price range and that I am very positively impressed with the handling of my car.

Put the same model tires on the CTR versus Giulia and that performance gap will decrease or turn into an advantage to Giulia. There are no magic bullet tires that will fit a CTR but not provide the same magic on a Giulia. I believe that you can get high performance tires on a 4 cylinder Giulia if you order the staggered wheel option, but the reviewers did not order it for some reason.

Obviously you are claiming that I am nobody because I considered the fuel economy of Giulia in making my selection and that I am clearly and flatly stating that fuel economy is a performance parameter. Even in F1 racing, fuel economy is a factor and incorporated indirectly into the rules. You are simply wrong and I am not alone on the fuel economy point. See how many people have posted "gee, look at the great fuel economy I get from my Giulia" on the forums--it is more than a few.

Anyway, enough of the rant. The starting point of this sidetrack is that Giulia is a sport sedan and I do not think that Alfa ever promised "luxury".
Get a Merc, Lexus or Infinity if you want luxury in a similar priced car. You won't get Alfa Giulia level performance though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Update- I have my car back. After a month all they did was an oil change. They were unable to identify the obnoxious smell (smells like cat urine) that comes thru the HVAC system. They were unable to duplicate the muffled sound of the sound system. They did not find anything wrong with the infotainment system (lagging, delays and skipping favorites at random).

Long story short nothing resolved. That being said glad to have my car back and still love it. Maybe I will bring it to another service center in the future if the smell doesn't go away. I will live with the other little things and just consider it is a quirky infotainment/sound system.

On the plus side I put a months worth of miles on their car.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Update- I have my car back. After a month all they did was an oil change. They were unable to identify the obnoxious smell (smells like cat urine) that comes thru the HVAC system. They were unable to duplicate the muffled sound of the sound system. They did not find anything wrong with the infotainment system (lagging, delays and skipping favorites at random).

Long story short nothing resolved. That being said glad to have my car back and still love it. Maybe I will bring it to another service center in the future if the smell doesn't go away. I will live with the other little things and just consider it is a quirky infotainment/sound system.

@Mwags511 if you are willing to bring your car to Greenwich CT, just off the Port Chester Midland Ave exit, I will introduce you to the Miller Service Manager. They have a new Alfa only service facility on West Putnam Ave. Much closer than the original service space in Stamford CT. They have dedicated Alfa Techs who are overseen by one Master Alfa Tech. If you are looking to dumping the car I understand. Let me know
M

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
@Mwags511 if you are willing to bring your car to Greenwich CT, just off the Port Chester Midland Ave exit, I will introduce you to the Miller Service Manager. They have a new Alfa only service facility on West Putnam Ave. Much closer than the original service space in Stamford CT. They have dedicated Alfa Techs who are overseen by one Master Alfa Tech. If you are looking to dumping the car I understand. Let me know
M
Thank you, really appreciate the offer. Thankfully Westbury is opening a dedicated device center in a separate location in the Spring. Hopefully that will help the device issues. Love the car and really hoping they sort this stuff out.

Thank you all for listening to me rant.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Glad you at least got your car back. Do you know what infotainment software version you have? On your screen select Settings> System> Software Update and check the version number. This thread has the info on the latest software versions and download links to get them if you don't have them.

The instructions for updating are simple and easy; get a 16g USB flashdrive, format it in NTSF which is a windows format (I tried the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) but it didn't work on my car), put ONLY the update files on it at the root level; not in a folder. ( If it's a current update, it'll probably be two files; a .xml and a .bin file). Start your car and keep it running the whole time, disable auto start/stop, access your infotainment screen, go to Settings>System>Software Update>Update Software, then insert the USB drive into the USB port above the cup holders in the center console. It's supposed to work in either that port or the one inside the center console, but it's easier to use the one above the cup holders. Make sure NO OTHER DEVICES are plugged into any other USB port (phone chargers, etc.). On mine a Magneti Marelli screen comes up and starts to validate the USB drive. Let it do it's thing (the screen may shut off one or two times) until the update status bar goes all the way across. This will take about 15 minutes. When the status bar reaches 99%, it'll sit there for a bit, then go green and say to remove the USB drive. Do so and wait while the infotainment system resets and restarts. That's it. You can go back to the Settings>System>Software Update and check to make sure it shows the updated version if you like, but that's all there is to it.

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts

The smell will occur on all Giulias. It's the transmission fluid that is used. It takes a solid 5k miles before it goes away.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I wish when I dropped it off they would have told me about the the trans fluid and giving it to 5k miles.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Having read on this forum about the odor from something in our Alfas, perhaps the trans fluid, it is something I haven't noted in my Quad. But then I tend to drive as much as possible with the windows down, and my arm on the sill. It takes me back to my early days of driving, no radio, no AC, just driving my TR4 and my MGB. Same thing with some comments about unpleasant sounds and noises; with my hearing loss, I just don't notice them. I don't often listen to my music system either. I have always just liked to drive, to be behind the wheel of my cars, and what features important to others just detract from my own enjoyment of connection with whatever I am driving. In a few minutes, I am firing up my 1952 army truck, and picking up a friend and we are heading out into the country for a morning of shooting. Will have to pull the lever to engage the front axles to get there. Cold out, but enough engine heat will come thru the firewall to make it tolerable.

Just going to be a really good day. NV

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I gotta say that as one of the 1st QVs to come to the US, I have had 1 legit issue & 1 silly BS issue. Other than only periodic software updates/TSB, which btw I have had with EVERY BMW M i've owed over the past 30 years, I have never experienced the smells, sights, sounds and other things that have manifested themselves on the forum
Color me lucky;) (knocking wood and grabbing onto the come li chiami!)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
C&d is already comparing the fake handling eats up tires civic r to the original max, which utilized stickier but wear out faster than the "competitions" tires to come up with great "handling" numbers, which arent handling at all, just friction measurements on a smooth surface.
Any putz who confuses handling with a tire dependent skid pad or stopping distance # deserves to be driving a fwd vehicle, preferably with too stiff springs and no clearance

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
"Fake handling"? :unsure:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I wish when I dropped it off they would have told me about the the trans fluid and giving it to 5k miles.
Im not sure where this info came from but speaking as someone who has literally been up to thier elbows in ZF trans fluid,I have no idea what smell anyone is talking about.....the ZF fluid has a unique smell but I doubt very much that's what anyone is smelling...its not a strong enough smell that would make it into the cabin unless the whole underside of the vehicle was coated in it.....

101 - 120 of 146 Posts