Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
The real world price of Giulas, what people actually pay, puts them in the same league as Camrys and Accords. Hardly luxury vehicles. Toyota and Honda of course do a great job in customer service because they have solid consistently good cars, and maybe Alfa should aspire to that level of reliability.
The Alfa Giulia needs to aspire to nothing compared to Toyota and Honda. Dealerships are another story, but you will find great reviews and horrible reviews across the board without exception. The Giulia is far superior to any Camry or Accord. My neighbor has a 2018 Toyota Avalon and his radio was shutting off every few minutes. The local dealer said it needed a software update to fix the problem. Took a half day to do that (no loaner car) but it did not fix the issue. They could not fix the problem without swapping the entire head unit. This is no different than some of the Alfa problems reported here on this forum. Bottom line. Car's break, others do not, for one reason or another and a good dealership (with a good tech) will be able to fix it, or not. Somehow, the perception is that Alfa has a bad unreliable product and bad service team. That is no more true (or false) than someone saying that Toyota or Honda has a bullet proof product. The Alfa Giulia went from a blank piece of paper (napkin) in 2014 to a full production masterpiece in just 2 1/2 years. Think of all the little things that could have and should have gone wrong, but didn't. It has only had a few minor issues in the early 2016-17 years. And gee wiz, the brakes actually worked without Alfa having to do a major recall (least we not forget the Toyota fiasco). The fit and finish of the Giulia compared to the others is equal to or greater than. How many folks actually look forward to washing their Camry or Accord and admiring the body lines and overall fit and finish. I look at my Giulia the same way I would look at a painting on an art museum wall. Belissimo !

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Civic Type R.
306hp vs 280hp
3200lbs vs 3500lbs
manual vs auto
99' vs 123' (60-0)
0.99 vs 0.84 (lateral)
24.7 vs 26.8 (MT figure 8)
$34,775 vs. $38,990 (Base price)

Sources:

The Giulia is a great car, but it's not the pinnacle of performance.
I did say handles and performs, not just performs.
Tesla 3 performs pretty good on the track, but reportedly has seriously scary handling. For most people good handling is a really important characteristic for a performance car, lest you end up "losing it" and dead on the side of the road.

Handling is difficult to measure, it is the ease with which the driver can extract performance from the car. For some cars you can watch how hard a professional driver on a track is working the steering to keep the car on the road, but that will not tell the whole story.

And yes, Alfa for some reason puts at best mediocre tires on the 4 cylinder models, causing them to give the car the appearance of worse performance than reality. If you drive somewhat hard they will wear out fast enough and can be replaced with something much better. That will more than close some of the gap against that Civic Type R.

Also, not one hot hatch comes close to the fuel economy of Giulia. I'm not sure why that is, but I need decent highway fuel economy as well as AWD. The only contenders against my Q4 were the Focus RS and Subie WRX; but both fall short on fuel economy and the later is similar in cost (somewhat more, I think) to Giulia Q4.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Like others, I too have had "bad service" from dealers. Years ago, a mechanic did not time the counter-rotating shafts of my Turbo Eclipse, and when I drove it off the lot, it had this terrible out of phase vibration. Pulled right back in, done right then. Half the time in past years, a dealer mechanic has forgotten to reset the oil change monitor. Not to mention how many times friends have had their sump drain plugs mis threaded or stripped. A few months ago, friend had an oil change shop fail to refill his car with oil, needed a $10K replacement, shop denied any wrongdoing. My son shows me pictures of shops putting Lotus Elise's (he had one then) up on lifts, and the cars falling back off because they did not prop the rear of the car up. I had a well known race shop fail to put the secondary fuel pump fuse in my GT3, causing a burnt piston a thousand miles from home, another $7 K repair, they denied any responsibility.

I think there are several parts to service. One, of course, being able to diagnose and fix often elusive problems, the other, keeping in touch with an owner. As for a VIN mis-code or the like, I am not surprised errors and omissions occur. It wasn't long ago the VIN was for information about the paint code, and the transmission and engine installed. Then a number for a state to record for its title registration. Using the VIN to tell which trunk carpet is installed is probably a new and complicated way to keep track of a car's build. And can surely be a hassle for both owner and technician.

NV

·
Registered
414 Posts
Handling is difficult to measure, it is the ease with which the driver can extract performance from the car. For some cars you can watch how hard a professional driver on a track is working the steering to keep the car on the road, but that will not tell the whole story.
I guess you're suggesting the Civic Type R is either an ill-handling car or a difficult car to drive at the limit. It's neither, by virtually every review of the car's handling.

If you drive somewhat hard they will wear out fast enough and can be replaced with something much better. That will more than close some of the gap against that Civic Type R.
So, a modified Giulia will be nearly as competitive as a showroom stock (and cheaper) Civic?

Also, not one hot hatch comes close to the fuel economy of Giulia.
Now we're grasping at straws here. What next, no other sedan comes close to smelling as nice?

I get this is a model specific forum and objectivity is rare, especially considering it's an Alfa brand, but let's be a bit more level headed about it.

Giulia is a gorgeous car, it performs very well within it's price point, but it's not the end-all be-all car, let alone in its segment. I'm glad Alfa made it because it gave us a car that felt, looked, and drove differently than the rest, despite its shortcomings.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Now now... there are a good lot of people here who are objective or within reasonable statistical band of objective.:D
I get this is a model specific forum and objectivity is rare, especially considering it's an Alfa brand, but let's be a bit more level headed about it.
Well said. There is no perfection, but this is reasonably where we want to live at.
Giulia is a gorgeous car, it performs very well within it's price point, but it's not the end-all be-all car, let alone in its segment. I'm glad Alfa made it because it gave us a car that felt, looked, and drove differently than the rest, despite its shortcomings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
it's not the end-all be-all car, let alone in its segment.
I think that's treason in this forum..HANG HIM!

I agree, if I had 250K to spend, I probably wouldn't buy an Alfa..but I do love them. I think of myself as a car person, not an Alfa fan boy though. 😊

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
for me the Giulia comes darn close to being the one car that does it all, and I liked it well enough to repeat repeat.

·
Registered
783 Posts
So many cars to buy in life...

Irrespective of how much I've spare, I'd keep a petrol Alfa in my stable as long as feasible. (factors such as it moves, it's fixable, petrol cars are legal, etc.)
But it's one of a few others I lust.

Does that make me a fan boy or an Alfa-lover?
I agree, if I had 250K to spend, I probably wouldn't buy an Alfa..but I do love them. I think of myself as a car person, not an Alfa fan boy though. 😊

·
Registered
150 Posts
So many cars to buy in life...

Irrespective of how much I've spare, I'd keep a petrol Alfa in my stable as long as feasible. (factors such as it moves, it's fixable, petrol cars are legal, etc.)
But it's one of a few others I lust.

Does that make me a fan boy or an Alfa-lover?
Nah, i'm sure 99% of us our Alfa-lovers. I define fan boys as those who love things but do not accept its down falls. Its like this bizarre self convincing thing. I remember when I first found this forum someone had a post that came off like ''..Giulia is the best car ever made....it has no problems." While I respect opinions it does come off slightly delusional. Occasionally, people get a little annoyed when something hits close to home like an issue or a defect the Giulia has but that's probably a normal reaction to spending 55K on a car :)

The Giulia is a fantastic, beautiful car, but there will be others...and those others might be made by Alfa.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am not brand loyal and would like to experience different makes of cars while I am still on the vertical. That said, I have been looking (wandering eye) and comparing specs of other makes and models with the same attributes, but I cannot find a suitable replacement. This car checks off nearly every box that I am looking for in a car of this price range. Style inside and out, comfort, power to fuel efficiency ratio, and best of all, I don't see one at every street corner. Other than updates and a finicky hood latch that I adjusted myself, I have had zero problems in the two years of ownership. The search goes on. :unsure:

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I guess you're suggesting the Civic Type R is either an ill-handling car or a difficult car to drive at the limit. It's neither, by virtually every review of the car's handling.

So, a modified Giulia will be nearly as competitive as a showroom stock (and cheaper) Civic?

Now we're grasping at straws here. What next, no other sedan comes close to smelling as nice?

No, I am suggesting that a Civic Type R does not handle as well as a Giulia. I haven't driven a lot of Honda automobiles, but I did not like the way that any of them that I have driven handled. I only said that Tesla 3 reportedly is an ill handling car.

Tires are a wear item, so replacing them is simply part of driving the car. Both reviewers and many forum members have been dismayed by the inadequate performance tires that come of the 4 cylinder Giulia models. I don't make excuses for this non-sense, I only point it out because the 4 cylinder GIulia falls way short of its potential due to the tires. Upgrading the tires is a lot easier and cheaper than improving handling. Street price for a Giulia is likely lower than the Civic Type R; MSRP does not tell the whole story.

Giulia does not smell particularly nice, especially when new while the transmission fluid is outgassing. Fuel economy is a factor in the desirability of the car and a relevant measure of performance.

·
Registered
414 Posts
No, I am suggesting that a Civic Type R does not handle as well as a Giulia.
Handling, in a subjective manner, hard to argue your opinion.
Handling, in an objective manner, you're wrong. The CTR is a better handling car by all measured performance stats that involve handling.

Tires are a wear item, so replacing them is simply part of driving the car.
Again, modified vs showroom stock. If you're replacing tires on the Giulia, then you can replace the tires on the CTR. The CTR will still outrun the Giulia 2.0T on a race track.

Fuel economy is a factor in the desirability of the car and a relevant measure of performance.
Desirability when choosing a basic commuter, absolutely.
But I doubt the fuel economy figures sold anyone on the Giulia over its competitors. And no one will ever claim fuel economy as a performance metric. When reviews come out on top of the line Ferraris and Lambos, fuel economy is rarely, if ever, mentioned unless it's a hybrid. So, yes this is a grasping for straws argument.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Handling, in a subjective manner, hard to argue your opinion.
Handling, in an objective manner, you're wrong. The CTR is a better handling car by all measured performance stats that involve handling.

Again, modified vs showroom stock. If you're replacing tires on the Giulia, then you can replace the tires on the CTR. The CTR will still outrun the Giulia 2.0T on a race track.

Desirability when choosing a basic commuter, absolutely.
But I doubt the fuel economy figures sold anyone on the Giulia over its competitors. And no one will ever claim fuel economy as a performance metric. When reviews come out on top of the line Ferraris and Lambos, fuel economy is rarely, if ever, mentioned unless it's a hybrid. So, yes this is a grasping for straws argument.
I agree fuel economy is not associated with any performance metric. But you really like that CTR huh. Was it the bleacher seat rear spoiler? Isn’t the focus way better power and handling for same money?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can we get a super moderator to chime in here (@JeFizz ?) this discussion is way off topic now and starting to get into your car sucks mine doesn't territory... Isn't there a "cars that are better than Giulia 2.0T" thread somewhere we can move this conversation to? Jeez....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
This is awesome, not only have I not heard from the dealer but Alfa Cares is useless also.

·
Registered
629 Posts
What are you talking about @Alfa-Male ?
Giulia is the best car ever made! It has no problems!!

;) :ROFLMAO:
@Alfa-Male, @kshitishsoman, I am one inside of those 99%. Great definition of "car fan boys" BTW. Giulia is probably not the best car ever made but, it is 99% right there. It is a Dream Car. I plan to own my 2019 QV (need to buy an extended warranty next year, though) until legally required to move to an electrical Alfa Romeo car.

81 - 100 of 146 Posts