Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 3000 miles on my Giulia Ti and had some minor things i wanted checked out and an oil change. First, the dreaded stink of gear oil or cat pee coming through the vents, a delay in the infotainment system and an oil change. Easy peasy, quick job.

I schedule my appointment and bring the car in last Wednesday and I'm told we'll need the car for about a week, WHAT? Well some techs had the flu and were backed up. Okay just give me a loaner and send me on my way. Today is a week and i have heard nothing so I give the service writer a call and leave message. No return call after a few hours, so I call again, direct to voicemail. I hit every other writers extension and all go to voicemail, great. So I reach out to the salesman who said he is there for any of my needs which he has been. He helps and gets through to someone and tells me oh, there is a catalytic converter problem and not anyone can do that. Are you kidding me. I've been working on cars for 30 years, pretty much any tech can swap a bolt in cat. Even so do they only have one "A" tech there. Mind you nobody has called me to tell me jack. My whole experience with this dealers service department has been aweful truly making second guess my choice to move to Alfa from Mercedes. The Mazda service for my wife's vehicle 100 times better than this.

In the meantime all I can think about is how many dings, dents and scratches will be on my pristine car when I do finally get it back.

Very frustrated and venting.

·
Vendor
1,795 Posts
Just like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, there are good dealers and bad ones.

gear oil or cat pee? Which one is it? Both or one or the other?

What dealer? Could be ordering parts and waiting but I have had some bad dealers with almost every brand like this.
Can't you go down there?

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
I wouldn't say that. I've never had an experience like this.
Ok, well, that logic makes no sense as I have had wonderful service, both from my dealer and Alfa Romeo. How does Alfa Romeo have anything to do with how your shitty dealership runs their business?

Get a Mercedes then, and be happy with your rolling potato.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, well, that logic makes no sense as I have had wonderful service, both from my dealer and Alfa Romeo. How does Alfa Romeo have anything to do with how your shitty dealership runs their business?

Makes perfect sense if i've never had crappy service before, especially from lesser brands. FWIW, they should be looking at the Lexus Service Department operation if they want to stay and grow in this country. While yes, it is individually the dealers service department, Alfa does have to ensure they meet some standards, no?

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
Makes perfect sense if i've never had crappy service before, especially from lesser brands. FWIW, they should be looking at the Lexus Service Department operation if they want to stay and grow in this country. While yes, it is individually the dealers service department, Alfa does have to ensure they meet some standards, no?
Oh I get it, but tell me how these other comparable or even lesser brands did in their first few years in a new market? Contact AR and complain, they are listening.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
So I have 3000 miles on my Giulia Ti and had some minor things i wanted checked out and an oil change. First, the dreaded stink of gear oil or cat pee coming through the vents, a delay in the infotainment system and an oil change. Easy peasy, quick job.

I schedule my appointment and bring the car in last Wednesday and I'm told we'll need the car for about a week, WHAT? Well some techs had the flu and were backed up. Okay just give me a loaner and send me on my way. Today is a week and i have heard nothing so I give the service writer a call and leave message. No return call after a few hours, so I call again, direct to voicemail. I hit every other writers extension and all go to voicemail, great. So I reach out to the salesman who said he is there for any of my needs which he has been. He helps and gets through to someone and tells me oh, there is a catalytic converter problem and not anyone can do that. Are you kidding me. I've been working on cars for 30 years, pretty much any tech can swap a bolt in cat. Even so do they only have one "A" tech there. Mind you nobody has called me to tell me jack. My whole experience with this dealers service department has been aweful truly making second guess my choice to move to Alfa from Mercedes. The Mazda service for my wife's vehicle 100 times better than this.

In the meantime all I can think about is how many dings, dents and scratches will be on my pristine car when I do finally get it back.

Very frustrated and venting.
Can you give me the name of the dealer? I can forward it to someone who can look into it and see what's going on.

·
Registered
127 Posts

JeFizz I’m with you on most stuff but not here. OP is venting which I can completely understand. Like it or not it is an Alfa issue. When the dealership has Alfa’s name on it they are Alfa’s agent. It is true there are crappy dealers everywhere but this guy/gal just needs to vent. Completely legitimate and if I’m in their boat I’m pissed. Already pissed I bought a brand new 80k car with undisclosed damage. Alfa’s fault? Partially, it either happened by a shipper contracted with Alfa or an Alfa dealer. Either way Alfa shoulders part of blame. If you hire a builder to build a house and are unhappy with the quality of the work, the builder’s name justifiably is crap even though he Sub’d out the work to a different contractor. Sometimes folks gotta vent. We all know Alfa has some good dealers as well as some bad ones. OP, same is true for every brand. Ok, done venting. I feel better and still love my Italian girl. 😁

·
Registered
273 Posts
The issue is, there are not too many Alfa Dealers around. Yeah, if I experience shitty service from Mercedes, BMW, Ford, Chevy and so on, I can always mossy down the street to another Mercedes, BMW, Ford, Chevy dealer. Ain't happening with Alfa.

Too many Alfa Romeo does everything right and nothing wrong fan bois on this forum. It's laughable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you go to McDonalds and have a terrible experience, do you call the local franchisee, or do you call McDonalds?

Alfa’s success depends on their ability to hold their dealer network to a prescribed standard and to provide consistent service across the board. They’ve not done a good job of this in the US, and it’s not because they’re new. It’s because they’re doing a bad job. They have all the weight of the established brands from FCA and aren’t leveraging it properly.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have said this from day one, and I think that some people buying Alfa's think that they are buying a BMW/MERC/AUDI etc. by that I mean, they expect a certain level of service, which they should, and they expect a certain amount of uniformity in the service they get from dealer to another which in reality you don't get. I say this to everyone who asks me about the car and says they are thinking of getting one. your buying the dealer, not so much the car, and if you don;t get the warm & fuzzies from a sales end, the service end may suck as well. and in the end you don't have the ability of shopping around for Alfa dealers like you would the other brands I mentioned.
I get the OP is venting, and yeah I'd be pissed as well, more for the lack of communication and what he went through to get a response than the actual response itself. My questions is to all here, IF you received the same service from any of the other brands I mentioned as the OP got here, how would you react? would you blame BMW?MERC?AUDI?...probably not in the least, you would just go down the block and try another dealer. Now to the absolute BS about how MERC/BMW/AUDI service is always top flight....LOL I say either you have been lucky to never run into a bad dealer on the service end, or your full of shit. I've had BMWs for over 30 years and I have 6 dealers with 45 minute-1hr of me, and the service varies from exceptional to barely marginal. I've learned this through trial & error. I have 4 Alfa dealers with 45minute-1hr from me (Alfa of White Plains, Larchmont Alfa, Danbury Alfa, Miller Motors) I would trust my QV to only 1 (MIller) and wouldn't by an air-freshner much less service my car from Larchmont.
@Mwags511 do you have any other Alfa service options? from what I read you bought your car where you had this poor service experience?.....if you do, walk in, let em know why your there, see if they care about your business.
if not then vote with your wallet and ditch the car when you can.
Oh yeah I've been called a fan boy on occasion.:p;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I can't be happier with both the 2018 Ti Q4 I owned for 14 months and 14K miles (including the services and assistance of the dealerships) and the 2019 QV that I currently own for 2 months and 1.8K miles (including assistance of the dealership). It has been a tremendous and great experience and the cars are simply state-of-the-art. Two more small things: 1) Alfa Romeo cars are not perfect. 2) There are plenty of bad dealers and even more quantity of great dealers. So, good luck with your future BMW or Mercedes. I am sure that you will be super happy with one of them. I have no problems at all with people venting. I understand. I just hate waste my time reading that stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
WOW. I'm in Canada and this is also the case. No one wants to give me a courtesy car. I own a Stelvio and I was offered a $15 cab voucher once. How do they expect to compete with BMW? Mercedes? Heck, even the lesser brands?

Honestly, I like their cars but it's pretty embarrassing for Alfa when these dealers don't supply a courtesy car. Customers are left to beg for a car..EVEN on warranty work! WARRANTY work.

BMW takes my 15 yr old 3-series, gives me a courtesy car for as long as I need it, then has my car sparkling when I pick it up!

I won't get into the lack of knowledge or unprofessional behavior.

Poor Alfa, such a shame for the brand..

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have said this from day one, and I think that some people buying Alfa's think that they are buying a BMW/MERC/AUDI etc. by that I mean, they expect a certain level of service, which they should, and they expect a certain amount of uniformity in the service they get from dealer to another which in reality you don't get. I say this to everyone who asks me about the car and says they are thinking of getting one. your buying the dealer, not so much the car, and if you don;t get the warm & fuzzies from a sales end, the service end may suck as well. and in the end you don't have the ability of shopping around for Alfa dealers like you would the other brands I mentioned.
I get the OP is venting, and yeah I'd be pissed as well, more for the lack of communication and what he went through to get a response than the actual response itself. My questions is to all here, IF you received the same service from any of the other brands I mentioned as the OP got here, how would you react? would you blame BMW?MERC?AUDI?...probably not in the least, you would just go down the block and try another dealer. Now to the absolute BS about how MERC/BMW/AUDI service is always top flight....LOL I say either you have been lucky to never run into a bad dealer on the service end, or your full of shit. I've had BMWs for over 30 years and I have 6 dealers with 45 minute-1hr of me, and the service varies from exceptional to barely marginal. I've learned this through trial & error. I have 4 Alfa dealers with 45minute-1hr from me (Alfa of White Plains, Larchmont Alfa, Danbury Alfa, Miller Motors) I would trust my QV to only 1 (MIller) and wouldn't by an air-freshner much less service my car from Larchmont.
@Mwags511 do you have any other Alfa service options? from what I read you bought your car where you had this poor service experience?.....if you do, walk in, let em know why your there, see if they care about your business.
if not then vote with your wallet and ditch the car when you can.
Oh yeah I've been called a fan boy on occasion.:p;)
Well said. I would still blame merc/bmw/audi as well as dealer but wouldn’t leave the brand over one, just as you said. I like to think most of the folks here are fanboys, I certainly consider myself one as I’m looking to get my wife a Stelvio so we’ll be a 2 Alfa household. Also like to think someone at Alfa sees or hears us as we are their biggest fans and have a vested interest in them. I for one bought my car for how it makes me feel, something missing from the other brands. Don’t need fancy coffee or stuff like that. If I have to have it serviced in a barn that’s ok as long as the folks touching my girl know what their doing and are pleasant and considerate to me as a customer. Cheers everyone. 🍻

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have my share of bad dealers. Especially BMW. UGH.

Never Merc. Mixed on Audi. Never Honda. Mixed on Mazda. Mixed on Porsche. Mixed on a few others.

But, it appears that there are more pieces of coal than diamonds in the FCA family.

Just like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, there are good dealers and bad ones.

gear oil or cat pee? Which one is it? Both or one or the other?

What dealer? Could be ordering parts and waiting but I have had some bad dealers with almost every brand like this.
Can't you go down there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you give me the name of the dealer? I can forward it to someone who can look into it and see what's going on.
It is Westbury Alfa in New York. Didn't get the warm and fuzzies when the service writer made me feel the smell was in my mind because they supposedly fixed it 2018. BS
, that damn smell is awful.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts