Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh yeah… It’s a mess statewide, but also a blessing as we have choice on where we live and work. No state income tax for me so I likely am coming out ahead. 💁‍♂️

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,003 Posts
State: NY,
2018 Giulia ti Lusso
Annual reg: $29.50
Reg fee is the same every year and is based on weight of the vehicle.
Only pay tax once when purchased and only on the actual cash paid, the value of any trade is deducted from total price when figuring the sales tax. 8% tax in my county.
I'm in NYC. I pay about 150 every 2 years and I pay 37 a year for inspection. But as has been said previously, it averages out because I pay (metaphorically) with every flat tire lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Around 40.000 USD in tax (one time fee) for a base 2019 Giulia and around 400 USD/year in additional taxes - welcome to Denmark lol :p. You guys all have it cheap

·
Registered
201 Posts
State: NY,
2018 Giulia ti Lusso
Annual reg: $29.50
Reg fee is the same every year and is based on weight of the vehicle.
Only pay tax once when purchased and only on the actual cash paid, the value of any trade is deducted from total price when figuring the sales tax. 8% tax in my county.
I got transferred from CA to NY (upstate) in '84. When I registered my vehicles, the lady actually apologized to me because the fee was "so high". I had to stifle a laugh because it was so much less than what I had been paying in CA. That was the good news. The bad news was that, in addition to property tax, sales tax and state income tax, there were also yearly town and village taxes. CA taxes actually didn't look so bad when I got back there a couple of years later.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have my renewal sitting on my desk right now. My 2021 tags in Michigan for a 19' Ti Sport Giulia is $225.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Colorado
Sticker is I think $83K on my QV
Registration = $1,655 and some change

The vast majority of this (~$1,240) is for "Specific ownership tax" which is separate from the $6,500+ sales tax I was charged since I bought the QV from Ohio and they don't charge sales tax. According to the Colorado DMV, "Specific ownership tax" is:
  • These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
  • The specific ownership taxes you paid for a registration year are on the back of your registration receipt.
  • Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.
  • The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Colorado
Sticker is I think $83K on my QV
Registration = $1,655 and some change

The vast majority of this (~$1,240) is for "Specific ownership tax" which is separate from the $6,500+ sales tax I was charged since I bought the QV from Ohio and they don't charge sales tax. According to the Colorado DMV, "Specific ownership tax" is:
  • These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
  • The specific ownership taxes you paid for a registration year are on the back of your registration receipt.
  • Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.
  • The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service
Is that yearly or one time?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Around 40.000 USD in tax (one time fee) for a base 2019 Giulia and around 400 USD/year in additional taxes - welcome to Denmark lol :p. You guys all have it cheap

That is good perspective. Ouch indeed! Hope all of Denmark's roads are race-track smooth, and you never get any stone chips or road debris in exchange for that steep tax contribution.

California
2018 QV: around ~55k sticker price purchased new in 2019 <- that was a good year for discounts!

This year's registration: around $700. But I have one of California's save-the-coast special interest group license plates, for which we must pay annual fees of around $80. So it's a consolidated bill between registration + annual license plate special interest 'donation'.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It goes down a bit over time, but it will remain ridiculously high.
At least they specified that you do not need to operate the vehicle to be assessed that tax yearly. Must have had too many people filling out non-op forms.

I was told after the fact I could have filled out "non-op declaration" and saved myself the $200 I paid in penalties. Personally though, I like to avoid perjuring myself. Even though I feel that I was failed by "the system," I'd rather fix the system than be shady. I get a feeling that people took advantage of that in CO which is why you will eat that tax even if you legitimately do park the car for a year.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,927 Posts
But you have Rødgrød Med Fløde.

Reactions: Meldhede

·
Registered
451 Posts
It has always been baffling to me that owners in the US need to register a new car themselves. Where I am, that's the car dealership's responsibility and is done just prior to the new owner picks up the car.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
It has always been baffling to me that owners in the US need to register a new car themselves. Where I am, that's the car dealership's responsibility and is done just prior to the new owner picks up the car.
Most dealers in the US do this as well, not sure why it didn’t happen for the OP. Maybe purchased in one state and registered in another?

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Purchased and registered in Nevada. It is hit or miss on what dealerships can register your vehicle for you. For some reason I could not do mine online either… DMV lady couldn’t tell me why some dealerships could do it and some couldn’t. 🤷‍♂️

We do have people here who buy counter time at the DMV. You can pay a private individual anywhere from $150-$500 (varies greatly) to deal with the DMV for you on virtually everything but your drivers license.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Michigan bases it off your original list price
My 10 year old lincoln was $240
my 14 year old corvette was $260

21 - 35 of 35 Posts