Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got my Giulia registered yesterday. I made the soonest available appointment with the DMV after getting the necessary paperwork from the dealership back in April. Took me an extra day to make the appointment as they were booked out completely and I had to check back the following day to get an appointment.

Showed up on time with all the proper paperwork and ended up leaving with a $950 registration payment. Normal registration fee was $700-something and then I got hit with almost $200 in penalties for being 2 months outside of the one month grace period.

Didn't matter I took the first available appointment. The gal told me they had been open for walk ins, but I told her they had already shut that down 5 hours before their scheduled closing time and I had to show I had an appointment to be allowed in... Not to mention last time I walked in I ended up waiting 6 hours to get to the window... I understand I have an obligation to pay my registration and do it on time, but the state has an obligation to make it reasonably easy for me to do so. I don't expect two months of free registration, but no penalty and backdating it to the transaction date would have been completely acceptable and common sense considering how difficult it is to get into the DMV in southern Nevada. I'm not one of the idiots driving around with a temp tag that expired in November of last year, and I don't like being treated like one. Anyways... Rant aside...

What does everyone pay for registration? Where I used to live (WA state), I was in an area that was a flat fee and did not take your vehicles retail value into consideration. Here in Nevada, getting slapped with $700+ (penalties excluded) on a $42,000 car hurts.

Out of curiosity, who is willing to share what they paid for registration, the MSRP of the vehicle they are driving, and where they reside?

EDIT:

Going to follow the format @bluzman used and encourage it to be included in your posts moving forward for ease of reading.

State: Nevada (Clark County)
Sticker: $42,000
Smog: $20ish (Waived first two years of brand new vehicle registration)
Yearly Registration: $710.50 (goes down every year as vehicle depreciates)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I live in WI, got mine used at an in-state dealer so I didn't have to deal with any of the hassle you went through, the dealer did everything

Title application, transfer, and registration was $194
Yearly registration is $85 (I think it's $150 if you have an electric vehicle)

2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4, at the time of purchase was ~$32k

·
Registered
201 Posts
Finally got my Giulia registered yesterday. I made the soonest available appointment with the DMV after getting the necessary paperwork from the dealership back in April. Took me an extra day to make the appointment as they were booked out completely and I had to check back the following day to get an appointment.

Showed up on time with all the proper paperwork and ended up leaving with a $950 registration payment. Normal registration fee was $700-something and then I got hit with almost $200 in penalties for being 2 months outside of the one month grace period.

Didn't matter I took the first available appointment. The gal told me they had been open for walk ins, but I told her they had already shut that down 5 hours before their scheduled closing time and I had to show I had an appointment to be allowed in... Not to mention last time I walked in I ended up waiting 6 hours to get to the window... I understand I have an obligation to pay my registration and do it on time, but the state has an obligation to make it reasonably easy for me to do so. I don't expect two months of free registration, but no penalty and backdating it to the transaction date would have been completely acceptable and common sense considering how difficult it is to get into the DMV in southern Nevada. I'm not one of the idiots driving around with a temp tag that expired in November of last year, and I don't like being treated like one. Anyways... Rant aside...

What does everyone pay for registration? Where I used to live (WA state), I was in an area that was a flat fee and did not take your vehicles retail value into consideration. Here in Nevada, getting slapped with $700+ (penalties excluded) on a $42,000 car hurts.

Out of curiosity, who is willing to share what they paid for registration, the MSRP of the vehicle they are driving, and where they reside?
State: Texas
Sticker: $50,390
Yearly Safety Inspection: $25.50
Yearly Registration: $76.25

FWIW, fees are not based on sticker/book values. I pay exactly the same amounts yearly for my 2019 Giulia and my 2021 Miata.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,049 Posts
Texas here too. As @bluzman mentioned it comes to about ~$100. (I dont think MSRP is a factor).

Is this this first registration of a new car? And did you get it from out-of-state? Or is this what you’d expect every year?

Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
I hear ya. Different states have different ways to assess annual registration fee. Here in TN, I pay a fairly flat renewal fee of $57.50 on all my cars irrespective of its current book value. This number goes slightly up if you've special issue plates or personalized plates.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Texas here too. As @bluzman mentioned it comes to about ~$100. (I dont think MSRP is a factor).

Is this this first registration of a new car? And did you get it from out-of-state? Or is this what you’d expect every year?

Cheers
It will go down every year based on a depreciation schedule until it hits a minimum fee of around $120 per vehicle. For example, I bought a 2015 BMW in 2018. It had a sticker of around $66,000 and I think I paid $700 for the registration on that as it had already depreciated quite a bit.

Where I moved from in Washington I think I paid a flat fee of around $70 per vehicle regardless. Depending on where you are though the state has introduced a "transit tax" which works similar to Nevada's registration schedule.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
21 Posts
After looking into it, it seems like Nevada charges a supplemental government services tax to help fund schools and highways. It comes out to a total of either 4 or 5% of 35% of the MSRP depending upon county. It then goes down for the first two years in the age of the car, likely because the math wasn't convoluted enough already.

If you live in a county that pays the extra 1% highway tax, it would be $735 on a new $42,000 car.

I guess other states may do something similar, but I can only speak for PA where it is a flat $39 per year regardless of MSRP.

Nevada Vehicle Registration Fees

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,413 Posts
It will go down every year based on a depreciation schedule until it hits a minimum fee of around $120 per vehicle. For example, I bought a 2015 BMW in 2018. It had a sticker of around $66,000 and I think I paid $700 for the registration on that as it had already depreciated quite a bit.

Where I moved from in Washington I think I paid a flat fee of around $70 per vehicle regardless. Depending on where you are though the state has introduced a "transit tax" which works similar to Nevada's registration schedule.
California does something similar. Annual fee is similar to the sales tax rate based on some or other depreciation schedule relative to purchase price + several fixed fees.

The penalty for late registration transfer in California is high, justified by the stricter smog laws here. However, the DMV really does not know when you moved, so most people just lie.

I got burned big time when I transferred the title of my salvage E-type. It needed to pass a safety inspection within a time limit or penalties accumulate, so lots of repairs required (they don't tell you this until they start a clock ticking), AND unpaid outstanding parking tickets (SF-how do you NOT get a parking ticket there?) accumulating penalties with no information available on that before you start the clock ticking on the safety inspection penalties.

To make things worse, the car had changed hands 4 or 5 times without a title transfer. The person named on the title could not be located, so I had to pay buy a bond to cover the case if that person showed up and claimed the car was stolen.

Never buy a car in SF.
Never buy a salvage car in California unless the title has already been cleaned up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow NV has some high yearly registration costs... IL its 150$

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
In NC on a new vehicle purchase the actual new car registration, tag & title fee is ~ $100 but you also pay a “highway use tax” = 3% of the purchase price reduced by the amount of your trade-in (if any). All paperwork handled by the dealer.

Annually, you pay a registration renewal + personal property tax on the value of the vehicle. On a one year old Giulia 2.0 figure about $275 total.

·
Registered
189 Posts
California does something similar. Annual fee is similar to the sales tax rate based on some or other depreciation schedule relative to purchase price + several fixed fees.

The penalty for late registration transfer in California is high, justified by the stricter smog laws here. However, the DMV really does not know when you moved, so most people just lie.

I got burned big time when I transferred the title of my salvage E-type. It needed to pass a safety inspection within a time limit or penalties accumulate, so lots of repairs required (they don't tell you this until they start a clock ticking), AND unpaid outstanding parking tickets (SF-how do you NOT get a parking ticket there?) accumulating penalties with no information available on that before you start the clock ticking on the safety inspection penalties.

To make things worse, the car had changed hands 4 or 5 times without a title transfer. The person named on the title could not be located, so I had to pay buy a bond to cover the case if that person showed up and claimed the car was stolen.

Never buy a car in SF.
Never buy a salvage car in California unless the title has already been cleaned up.
I feel your pain there Lockem,

I am on my third salvage titled repair here in CA. First one was fairly easy. No body damage or airbag deployment/replacement. Once you start changing parts that are safety related, the CHP inspection becomes a pain in the A$$. Have to provide donor car information/VIN along with a receipt for those parts during the inspection. The officer literally pulls up online photos of donor VIN provided and confirms the vehicle had good airbags that can be reused. Becomes very time consuming after a while. I just finished a recent project for my son, a 2019 TI Sport which came from North Carolina. We were able to complete the inspection and get the car registered successfully. Next one is my QV which I actually started the registration process already and paid all the fees. So the car basically registered but it's not complete yet until I get the inspection done. I hope they won't bust my balls when I show up for inspection a few months later. We will see.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I feel your pain there Lockem,

I am on my third salvage titled repair here in CA. First one was fairly easy. No body damage or airbag deployment/replacement. Once you start changing parts that are safety related, the CHP inspection becomes a pain in the A$$. Have to provide donor car information/VIN along with a receipt for those parts during the inspection. The officer literally pulls up online photos of donor VIN provided and confirms the vehicle had good airbags that can be reused. Becomes very time consuming after a while. I just finished a recent project for my son, a 2019 TI Sport which came from North Carolina. We were able to complete the inspection and get the car registered successfully. Next one is my QV which I actually started the registration process already and paid all the fees. So the car basically registered but it's not complete yet until I get the inspection done. I hope they won't bust my balls when I show up for inspection a few months later. We will see.
Well, a series 1 E-type literally has no safety equipment to inspect. However my car had:

Seized brake calipers.
Brakes covered with grease (blown differential seals).
Cracked oil pan, spraying oil almost as fast as you can pour it in.
Broken tail lights and tail light mounting points.

Besides needing to fix all of the above on a tight schedule, I had to produce evidence that the headlights were aimed correctly. At the time virtually nobody could aim covered headlights. Since then and even before then aiming screens have become common equipment. In the 1980s essentially (actually?) all cars had sealed beam glass headlights with measurement points on the front to which a level could be attached for aiming. I eventually found a shop in a greasy old warehouse with a long enough piece of level floor to directly measure the headlight aim.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't realize other states were so high. I'm in Pa so 39$, I also have a car in Maine which is 35$.
Pa hammers you on trucks, my F350 should be 228$ for 10,000lb . I register it at 7000 for 92$.

·
Registered
123 Posts
State: NY,
2018 Giulia ti Lusso
Annual reg: $29.50
Reg fee is the same every year and is based on weight of the vehicle.
Only pay tax once when purchased and only on the actual cash paid, the value of any trade is deducted from total price when figuring the sales tax. 8% tax in my county.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
State: NY,
2018 Giulia ti Lusso
Annual reg: $29.50
Reg fee is the same every year and is based on weight of the vehicle.
Only pay tax once when purchased and only on the actual cash paid, the value of any trade is deducted from total price when figuring the sales tax. 8% tax in my county.
Don't worry, it typically averages out. There is no school tax in California and the property tax rate and increase is highly restricted, for example.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes… it’s really a game of “hide the ball” when it comes to taxes. They will get you somewhere. We have something like top 10 sales tax rate in NV too. One thing we do not have though is a school levy. I remember in WA the property tax rate itself wasn’t terrible, but the stupid levies would always be voted in by renters who didn’t realize their rent would increase when the property owner was getting hit with an extra $1,000+ year in property based fees.

It’s a cliche, but truly the only two certain things in life are death and taxes…

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Yes… it’s really a game of “hide the ball” when it comes to taxes. They will get you somewhere. We have something like top 10 sales tax rate in NV too. One thing we do not have though is a school levy. I remember in WA the property tax rate itself wasn’t terrible, but the stupid levies would always be voted in by renters who didn’t realize their rent would increase when the property owner was getting hit with an extra $1,000+ year in property based fees.

It’s a cliche, but truly the only two certain things in life are death and taxes…
A few states have lower individual taxes because they tax corporations or vice-versa, and/or they do a terrible job of their job (infrastructure, safety). Of course the cost of the government doing the same quality job varies by state as well. All that western fire fighting is not cheap even though the pay for fire fighters is terrible. Hurricane and flood cleanup is also very expensive.

Also, good luck finding actual data on this subject. Each state does its accounting differently, making comparisons extremely difficult.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts