1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
where did you get the button?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks great! If you had your dealer install it, do you mind sharing how much they charged? Thank you.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking good. Did you install it yourself?
Yes! It took about 1.5 hours and some aggravation. Its not hard but the two tiny screws holding down the button are terrible. The hole to access them isn't completely open. Loosening them was a pain. Once that was done they wouldn't come out. Then later one fell into the wheel internals and I had to hunt. ALSO, the steering trim is stiff and you have to be careful to not fray the leather.

Looks great! If you had your dealer install it, do you mind sharing how much they charged? Thank you.
I didn't but a few others have on here. It's generally one hour for the labor plus the cost of the button. I'd save the trouble and have them do it...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just ordered my red button today. Dealer install scheduled for Thursday. Dealer charging $75 for install.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
$75 seems reasonable from the dealer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks great!!! That's how it should've been from the factory. I bought the button a month ago, but got frustrated with trying to remove the 2 screws, couldn't see them at all, had to work by feel. The access holes are in a difficult location, I got a screw driver in there but couldn't turn them, I think I almost stripped the head of one. Called the local dealer, they wanted $275!!! Forget that. I'm waiting for my work schedule to clear up a bit and drive to the dealer where I got the car from, 100 miles away. They should be more reasonable.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks great!!! That's how it should've been from the factory. I bought the button a month ago, but got frustrated with trying to remove the 2 screws, couldn't see them at all, had to work by feel. The access holes are in a difficult location, I got a screw driver in there but couldn't turn them, I think I almost stripped the head of one. Called the local dealer, they wanted $275!!! Forget that. I'm waiting for my work schedule to clear up a bit and drive to the dealer where I got the car from, 100 miles away. They should be more reasonable.
Yes! Those screws required some finesse. I used these precision screw drivers and had success with Phillips size 1 and 0. The 1 did a majority of the work but 0 was helpful too since the scew hole is really a half moon shape opening. Definitely use the 1 to tighten.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes! Those screws required some finesse. I used these precision screw drivers and had success with Phillips size 1 and 0. The 1 did a majority of the work but 0 was helpful too since the scew hole is really a half moon shape opening. Definitely use the 1 to tighten.
Thanks for that photo! Maybe I need to get some "real" screwdrivers and try again. You're right about the access opening opening, it's partially covered. :mad:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am completely on board with folks doing the work themselves but for me sometimes the frustration isnt worth the cost savings. Replaced a dishwasher some time back, i did myself but took twice as long as professional, needed couple trips to hardware store, and caused me a bunch of aggravation. Talked to acquaintance some time later and learned he was a plumper and charges $75 bucks for install. Next time he is getting called.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Patience is key with the install and it can be a bit intimidating, especially when you are staring at the airbag. Good to know your limits and sometimes its worth having someone give you hand.

IE: 3rd Time around and I couldn't fix my HVAC system, replaced all the electronics myself and had successfully repaired it twice before. Couldn't figure it out the final time, glad I called someone to sort it out. Saved two weeks of summertime heat and frustration.

https://youtu.be/QSHrtP4FUoI :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
The install is more a pain in the rear than intimidating. Took me an hour.

Also on my car (6/17 build) the wire connection leading from the button is glued into steering wheel, and i did not want to pry it out. Once I had the steering wheel all opened up, instead of removing and swapping the whole button assembly, i just unscrewed the faceplate part, and then took the new red faceplate part and screwed it all back together, never disconnecting the wire.

Now that I know how to do it, it’d probably take me a half hour, namely because I learned exactly how to angle the screwdrivers to get at the screws which you have to do by feel only. That’s really the part that is not fun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had the red start/stop button installed today. Took the dealer an hour. First one they did and had to figure a few things out. They quoted me only 30 minutes for job. They stuck to their word and only charged for the 30 minutes. Love the red button.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I am thinking of doing this also.

Why is it that the red button is that much nicer?

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Why is it that the red button is that much nicer?

Red start buttons are always nicer! I love how it looks. But it also helps with finding the push start quicker when the wheel is turned due to the button not always being in the same location.

I also did the mod to my 370z. I replaced the normal button with the red GTR push start. Picture attached. It made a huge aesthetic improvement. :grin2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts