Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They quoted $75 for the part and $277 for the install. No thank you. I was shocked at the labor for that. They said because there might be some programming to make it work. I kept telling them there isn't. Anyways I will do it myself when the times come.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
They quoted $75 for the part and $277 for the install. No thank you. I was shocked at the labor for that. They said because there might be some programming to make it work. I kept telling them there isn't. Anyways I will do it myself when the times come.
as you said, it's the exact same button, only red, so 1-to-1 swap ...

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
My dealer charged me for the part and installed it for free. Couldn’t have taken too much shop time.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
497 Posts
That's crazy. When I bought my 2020 I asked for a red button after the deal was made; service dept installed N/C. Depends on the dealer.

Reactions: brentkhack

·
Registered
522 Posts
I did this. Self and it wasn’t too difficult. One choice I opted was to not disconnect the airbag. This was a little challenging since the wire has about an inch of excess. Also of help, is to disconnect the screws on the left and bottom wing of the silver trim and carefully pry them loose. This helps accessing things.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hey that $277 looks like a great deal! Twenty bucks less than what AR charges for a simple oil change. LOL

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
there's some howto's here, see also
ignition switch replacement
Don't try to do it without removing the steering as I have tried and it is a right frickin pain to remove the screws at the back with the steering in-situ. It is very easy to pop the airbag, remove the large holding nut (24mm socket I think) and do it off the car.

See this guide.

Here is a guide I also made on the UK forum. It is easier than it sounds.

I was careful enough so did not disconnect the battery the second time around I removed the steering for some other work.

Reactions: GottWhat and JeFizz

·
Registered
515 Posts
Even $100 to have a red button, instead of a black one, seems excessive. So, nearly $400 to change the color on a button seems absolutely insane.

Next up, $300 to change exhaust muffler hangers from black rubber to blue rubber. People like to waste money on the weirdest things.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I paid $120 for my AR dealership to do it just because I read horror stories on here about DIYs gone wrong. Seems silly as I usually DIY everything (like the lowering springs) but I didn't want to chance it with the airbag. to each their own!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I recently did this and learned all the lessons the hard way. I found the info on Madness' site as well as the forums to be super variable and a bit contradictory. On my vehicle, the small fasteners behind the ignition switch were completely welded in place and bent my high quality Wera drivers. I struggled with this for a good while before realizing you don't even need to remove them to get to the button. My recommended install:

1) Pull battery negative terminal just to be overly safe and to not have to honk horn when reseating airbag
2) Remove larger fasteners behind steering wheel at 3, 6 (not even mentioned on Madness), and 9 o clock positions
3) Release airbag circlip but do not fully remove airbag
4) Pry plastic fascia away using a trim tool at the 3, 6, and 9 positions. Protect the leather by wedging fabric between it and the trim tool. This is the worst part of the install and felt like I was going to break it.
5) Once it pops free, carefully disconnect left, right, ignition harnesses and remove from vehicle
6) Remove 2 small fasteners holding button to fascia and swap buttons (only came free for me out of the vehicle when I had better leverage)
7) Carefully route new ignition cable so as not to be pinched and reconnect all harnesses.
8) I had to seriously deform the textile elements of my steering wheel to reseat this thing back in, though it was a very hot and humid day, so may have made it worse. Not fun and similar to removal, felt like I was going to break it.
8) Reinstall 3,6,9 fasteners and reseat airbag.
9) Reconnect battery and reinitialize steering upon startup.

I politely disagree with anyone framing this as a 20 minute install.

Hood Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Carbon

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering part

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
@Engi_Nerd the issue is my surround was all leather and doing by your method in-situ was marking the leather so it was significantly easier to pull the airbag off and remove the steering. It took me about 2 minutes to do this once I knew how. The rest was done slowly and carefully at leisure on the kitchen worktop to my wife's dismay. :LOL:

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport 2020 Stelvio Sport
14 Posts
Found this one online ($12) and changed it myself in 5 minutes. It’s just replacing the actual button. The button lights up, looks good and I avoided all the ridiculous charges and installation issues.
Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts