Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, as the title alludes, I'm looking for a good OBDII Reader/Scanner. I'd like a blend of good price and reliablity as don't want to risk spending $5 on a Chinese special but conversely don't really want to spend $99USD on one either. I've looked at some reviews but prefer to hear it from the hive-mind here!

This one get's pretty solid reviews and price is good:

Then you come down to this one for $11.95... lots have been sold but again, concerned about quality:

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Reactions: jnsd

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Are you unaware that both of the scanners you listed are for Android devices, and incompatible with iPhone?

I'd recommend that you just bite the bullet, drop the 85USD on a PLX Kiwi3, and have a great OBD scanner which runs perfectly with iPhone. It's supposed to be the fastest, most accurate scanner on the market right now, is discreet and out of sight, sleeps, and seamlessly connects every time.

Mine works perfectly.

https://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-3-OBD-Car-to-Smartphone-Connection-p/897346002832.htm

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pardon my n00b form not searching the forum. Mental lapse...

Thanks for the heads up on the scanner, will check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I backed the Kiwi4 on kickstarter a while back. If you're planning to get the kiwi3, I'd hold back for a bit. The Kiwi4 should be out on Nov, and the 3s 'may' drop in price then.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Are you unaware that both of the scanners you listed are for Android devices, and incompatible with iPhone?

I'd recommend that you just bite the bullet, drop the 85USD on a PLX Kiwi3, and have a great OBD scanner which runs perfectly with iPhone. It's supposed to be the fastest, most accurate scanner on the market right now, is discreet and out of sight, sleeps, and seamlessly connects every time.

Mine works perfectly.

https://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-3-OBD-Car-to-Smartphone-Connection-p/897346002832.htm
I have also been looking for an OBD reader but don't know if this will provide the detailed information specifically for our Alfas. Whats the verdict?

I know on the one for my Audi I can change all sorts of things, even fine tune the speedometer. Anyone know if this'll do that? How about changing the alarm sensitivity, etc.?

Or are we talking about 2 different animals?

·
Registered
630 Posts
PLX Devices Kiwi3 and OCTech OBD Fusion user here. You can certainly go cheaper but it's hard to go wrong with these choices.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have also been looking for an OBD reader but don't know if this will provide the detailed information specifically for our Alfas. Whats the verdict?

I know on the one for my Audi I can change all sorts of things, even fine tune the speedometer. Anyone know if this'll do that? How about changing the alarm sensitivity, etc.?

These OBDII scan tools are not meant for encoding individual electronic control module parameters like a full-featured, professional diagnostic tools that utilize proprietary protocols. Instead, they're used for reading DTCs, readiness monitors, limited self-tests, etc. Basically OBDII Mode $01 through $09.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/what-is-mode-06-and-the-other-obd-ii-modes/

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

you need something like multiecuscan (MES) for that, see:
https://www.multiecuscan.net/Default.aspx
and
https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/466-engines-technical-discussion/40044-new-obd-software-version-mes.html

This is assuming you don't have the security gateway (SGW) on your OBD port yet (introduced feb 2018)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ll definitely look up the kiwi3 & 4 today.

I’m just looking for an awesome app that shows Hp, torque and 0-100 times etc.

Would have LOVED one prior to the Remus exhaust upgrade yesterday so thought that I would love to have some more data at my fingertips as more mods happen!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I’m just looking for an awesome app that shows Hp, torque and 0-100 times etc.

Well that’s super simple so most apps these days should be able to handle that. If all you want is 0-60mph or 0-100kmh you don’t even need an OBD2 device as the built-in accelerometer and GPS on your iPhone is probably sufficient. But if you want to estimate torque and HP then you will need the OBD2 device for the RPM signal as HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah was wanting something more accurate than the phone GPS with a bit more data but st the same time didn’t want to plug something into the car that was cheap and potentially nasty!

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
The problem with using the iPhone for performance metrics is that you need to find a place to mount it securely. With an OBD, you can just pop it in the cup holder or the door handle cups. You did get the cheap-o door handle cups off eBay, didn't you? :) They're actually really awesome to have!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem with using the iPhone for performance metrics is that you need to find a place to mount it securely. With an OBD, you can just pop it in the cup holder or the door handle cups. You did get the cheap-o door handle cups off eBay, didn't you? :) They're actually really awesome to have!

Hahaha agree. Nope haven’t gotten those door handle cups off eBay yet. I noticed that in my Stelio they’re built in!

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
The dash is so beautifully and simply designed, I just can't bring myself to spoil it with a tacked on phone mount. Thank goodness for CarPlay (though it doesn't do anything for performance meters).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dash is so beautifully and simply designed, I just can't bring myself to spoil it with a tacked on phone mount. Thank goodness for CarPlay (though it doesn't do anything for performance meters).

Yeah I know, but for those of us who don’t have ACP (e.g the majority) if we want maps (which I do, every drive) then there are limited options. TBH even if I had ACP unless I could install Google Maps I wouldn’t be overly happy.

Until then, which may be never with this current vehicle, I have to keep it as clean and classy as I can to meet my needs.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ok, I'll chime in on this. I have an OBDLink LX and it works very well. It clears faults on various vehicles. It also gives me read out info for the Alfa. The limitation was when my car had a fault during a track day. This did not work. Only dealer grade software could clear those codes. So I bought an ELM327 and multiecuscan software. That combination will let me do that. The OBD Link LX was $20 and the elm327 and software was about $80 all in.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Yeah I know, but for those of us who don’t have ACP (e.g the majority) if we want maps (which I do, every drive) then there are limited options. TBH even if I had ACP unless I could install Google Maps I wouldn’t be overly happy.

Until then, which may be never with this current vehicle, I have to keep it as clean and classy as I can to meet my needs.

Alfa has begun retrofitting CarPlay to the MY18 cars, all of which were supposed to have it, so you may want to inquire about that.

But yeah, I hear you; the onboard navi is just pura caca, making dash phone mounting a not unappealing option. And really, even for OBD metric monitoring, you'll probably want the phone visibly located as well. Mine always falls over in the cupholder, and is just a slapdash way of keeping the phone handy. The door pull pocket is better, but still rubbish for viewing.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Ok, I'll chime in on this. I have an OBDLink LX and it works very well. It clears faults on various vehicles. It also gives me read out info for the Alfa. The limitation was when my car had a fault during a track day. This did not work. Only dealer grade software could clear those codes. So I bought an ELM327 and multiecuscan software. That combination will let me do that. The OBD Link LX was $20 and the elm327 and software was about $80 all in.
But OBDLink is not iOS compatible, right, and therefore irrelevant to the OP.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
both are specifically for IOS

Mine works perfectly.

as do both dongles mentioned in my previous post... you are in error, my friend — iPad, iPhone 7 and X IOS tried and true with dozens of hours logging, codes cleared, extended dash instrument sessions. Screenshots are actuals. I do recommend the BT for reasons mentioned.

Like most digital devices, they work or not. speed and accuracy are reliant on negotiated CanBus data rates and data supplied by the car-end of the ODB II transaction. App has more to do with the apparent performance of the scanner than does the dongle.

BTW just started using REGISTERED Multiecuscan 4.2 with an BT Android ELM327 V2.1. () $12 device, not IOS compatible, running on Win10 using Bluetooth pairing. Made a Type 6 cable and experimented with Rolling Dyno Mode for ABS and ESC defeat tonight. Big fun.

Smiling,

Reactions: jwq2
1 - 20 of 29 Posts