Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even after all the adjustments to the HK system people have recommended I'm definitely going the route up upgrading the hardware. I've only settled on the speakers so far. Going with the Focal PS165F3 (x2). I still need recommendations for an amp and dsp ( if needed). In addition wanting to upgrade the sub. This is the trickiest past as no sub fits in the rear deck as a 1:1 replacement. I don't want a huge sub w/box but am willing to go that route if its a slim one.

So overall looking for recommendations on amp, sub and possibly at dsp.

Thanks!
Gus

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
If you are going to maintain the use of the factory infotainment, look into Audison DSP systems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you are going to get front speakers that good it won't sound right without good clean bass. I would suggest going with JL Audio TW1 or TW3 subs. You can build a small box to only use space right behind seat and under deck. Will hardly notice the loss of space if done right. For amplifier try JL HD900/5 It will power everything and very clean powerful amp.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I would only recomend that you carefully select your speakers before upgrading anything else.
you might find it unnecessary.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last part is trying to figure out if i need an LOC like the Audio Control Lc7i or something like the Audison bit ten/one

·
Registered
63 Posts
With the high end speakers you are using I would definitely look at adding some sort of high end sound processor. You want to make sure you are feeding the amps as clean a signal as possible before amplifying the sound. Should be an awesome sounding system with the setup you are looking at. I am looking at doing something very similar to my car soon.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Theirs more than what fits in a hole

Nominal Impedance
Sensitivity
Total Frequency Response
Lower and Upper -3dB Limits
Proper loading (air resistance behind speaker)
The acoustic environment ( interior of car and speaker placement - bass standing waves and nulls, rattles )
Most important it's a Car (for your enjoyment not your neighbors)

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I saw the front speakers to the Harman Kardon "premium" system today and was amazed to find a flimsy no name paper speaker is what is in the two front doors.... Is this normal? They had to replace the speaker because it was causing distortion and I asked to see it. In my Saab 9-3 Aero they advertised a Bose system and every speaker looked premium and were clearly marked with Bose as well as the specs. Did I get ripped or are they really putting no name speakers in the premium HK systems?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im sure they are cheap, generic drivers. The HK system is a huge rip off and I am not happy with it. I drove my BMW 135i with the base radio and it is so clear, crisp, and punchy compared to the HK system. It is a car from 2009.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have HK in my MINI and it sounds like you are in a sound booth. It sounds fantastic. We dove into audiophildom speakers for the house with 802D Bower Wikins and although they are $$$ they also are pretty picky about the quality of the mastered music flowing through the system I am starting to warm up a lot more to the HK in the QV. I use an iPod plugged into the USB and the quality of the music is far better than satellite or HD radio. Those two sound flat as a pancake.

The paper on the tweeter on the Bower Wilkin is about 1600 to replace just one. So not sure all paper is created equal.

I will say I did talk to Alfa Care about upgrading the system and they said they don’t recommend it because it won’t function with the software. I don’t know about that but I would make sure you have some experts not only with the sound system but with the programming to the infotainment. I am leaving as is.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
With the high end speakers you are using I would definitely look at adding some sort of high end sound processor. You want to make sure you are feeding the amps as clean a signal as possible before amplifying the sound. Should be an awesome sounding system with the setup you are looking at. I am looking at doing something very similar to my car soon.
Thought I would bring this post back. Your system is only as good as your cheapest component. You won’t get the full depth and potential. Sounds like you guys know your stuff so this is not new news. We are still trying to complete our home system but Nordost power cords for each component each power cord Nordost speaker wire it is getting nuts. I would think it works similarly in car audio and I am not going there for the QV.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,692 Posts
Page 7 of the Infotainment and Entertainment manual.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts