Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Published today, for incorrect fuel level readings in specific conditions.

The specific conditions include being parked on a grade of more than 10 degrees, staying in that position for a long enough period of time (approx. 30 minutes), and having a tank filled between 50-75%. At this point, the vehicle will think it went through a refuel and add a notch or two to the fuel gauge upon restart. This additional fuel reading will persist until an actual refuel takes place; after which, the fuel reading will be accurate once again.

Fix is a software update. It will be made available sometime in the 3rd quarter.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The Alfa app doesn't show anything. Can someone post the bulletin?

·
Vendor
1,503 Posts
The Alfa app doesn't show anything. Can someone post the bulletin?
3rd QTR so, July, Aug or Sept. So really August or Sept for recall.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just got this for my 18 Ti. Will wait until my oil change next month.

Manufacturer Recall Number V84

NHTSA Recall Number 19V-551

Recall Status Recall Incomplete

Summary The Body Control Module (BCM) may have been built with suspect software that may indicate an incorrect fuel level (higher) on the cluster in specific conditions, which may cause the customer to run out of fuel even though the indicator shows that there is still fuel in the vehicle.

Safety Risk Inaccurate fuel indication may increase the risk of an engine stall due to fuel starvation, and can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.

Remedy Update the BCM software to prevent the incorrect indication of the fuel level.

Manufacturer's Notes For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

·
Super Moderator
1,050 Posts
2018 - 2019 (GA) Alfa Romeo Giulia 2018 - 2019 (GU) Alfa Romeo Stelvio
NOTE: Some vehicles above may have been identified as not involved in this recall and therefore have been excluded from this recall.

The Body Control Module (BCM) on about 21,900 of the above vehicles may have been built with suspect software that may indicate an incorrect fuel level (higher) on the cluster in specific conditions, which may cause the customer to run out of fuel even though the indicator shows that there is still fuel in the vehicle. The specific conditions include being parked on a grade of more than 10 degrees, staying in that position for a long enough period of time (approx. 30 minutes), and having a tank filled between 50-75%. At this point, the vehicle will think it went through a refuel and add a notch or two to the fuel gauge upon restart. This additional fuel reading will persist until an actual refuel takes place; after which, the fuel reading will be accurate once again. Inaccurate fuel indication may increase the risk of an engine stall due to fuel starvation, and can cause vehicle crash without prior warning.
Remedy Available
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
Subject

Safety Recall V84 – Body Control Module Page 2

Update the BCM software to prevent the incorrect indication of the fuel level.

No parts are required to perform this service procedure.

No parts return required for this campaign.

The following special tools are required to perform this repair:
 NPN wiTECH micro pod II
 NPN Laptop Computer
 NPN wiTECH Software

Repair
Parts Information
Parts Return
Special Tools
Safety Recall V84 – Body Control Module Page 3

Reprogram the Body Control Module (BCM)

NOTE: The wiTECH scan tool must be used to perform this recall. This procedure must be performed with the latest software release level. If the reprogramming flash for the BCM is aborted or interrupted, repeat the procedure. The BCM must be at the latest calibration level after completing this recall.

1. Open the hood. Install a battery charger and verify that the charging rate provides 13.2 to 13.5 volts. Do not allow the charger to time out during the flash process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge.

NOTE: Use an accurate stand-alone voltmeter. The battery charger volt meter may not be sufficiently accurate. Voltages outside of the specified range will cause an unsuccessful flash. If voltage reading is too high, apply an electrical load by activating the park or headlamps and/or HVAC blower motor to lower the voltage.

2. Connect the wiTECH micro pod II to the vehicle data link connector.

3. Place the ignition in the “RUN” position.

4. Open the wiTECH 2.0 website.

5. Enter your “User id” and “Password” and your “Dealer Code”, then select “Sign In” at the bottom of the screen. Click “Accept”.

6. From the “Vehicle Selection” screen, select the vehicle to be updated.

7. From the “Action Items” screen, select the “Topology” tab.

8. From the “Topology” screen, click on the “BCM” icon.
Service Procedure
Safety Recall V84 – Body Control Module Page 4

9. From the “BCM” screen, select the “Flash” tab, then compare the “Current Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Part Number” with the “New ECU Part Number” listed.
 If the “Current ECU part Number” is the same as the “New Part Number”, proceed to Step 14.
 If the “Current ECU part Number” is NOT the same as the “New Part Number”, continue with Step 10.

10. From the flash ECU agreement page, agree to terms by checking the box.

11. Select “Flash ECU” then follow the wiTECH screen instructions to complete the flash.

12. Once the flash is complete, select the “View DTCs” tab.

13. Select the “Topology” icon, go to “Action Items” screen then select “All DTCs” tab, “Clear All DTCs” and then select “Close”.

14. Turn the ignition to the “OFF” position and then remove the wiTECH micro pod II device from the vehicle.

15. Remove the battery charger from the vehicle and then close the hood.

16. Return the vehicle to the customer.

Service Procedure (Continued)
Safety Recall V84 – Body Control Module Page 5

Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims paid will be used by FCA to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use one of the following labor operation numbers and time allowances:

Labor Operation Time Number Allowance

Inspect BCM Software Level and Reprogram BCM with New Software 18-V8-41-82 0.2 hours

NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.

To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select “Global Recall System” on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.

All involved vehicle owners known to FCA are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is attached.
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Dealer Notification
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
Safety Recall V84 – Body Control Module Page 6

All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed. GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner’s name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.

To use this system, click on the “Service” tab and then click on “Global Recall System.” Your dealer’s VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.

Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair. Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I received the recall notice last night ... I guess this is what caused my recent issue getting stuck on the road (I had "low" fuel but no empty, and the dealer said there was no fuel) ... my driveway is also definitely around or more than 10 degree, so I always park in that situation ... we'll see! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the recall done two days ago. Today while driving all the warning lights on the dashboard came on. Airbag, ESC, brake system, check engine, etc. The car is now driving in a "safe" mode with no acceleration. Maybe the dealer messed up the computer during the recall.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had the recall done two days ago. Today while driving all the warning lights on the dashboard came on. Airbag, ESC, brake system, check engine, etc. The car is now driving in a "safe" mode with no acceleration. Maybe the dealer messed up the computer during the recall.
I would sooner suspect a low battery charge..... They probably forgot to bring the battery back to full charge after all the updates etc.....

·
Super Moderator
1,582 Posts
Run it, let it charge, turn it off / on a bunch, drive around, it will probably go away.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Run it, let it charge, turn it off / on a bunch, drive around, it will probably go away.
Also... don’t forget the rotate the steering wheels to lock in both directions and then shut the car off. The lights should be gone after starting the car back up...if it’s a similar experience to the one I had.

I had to do this after pulling the battery.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mine was displaying lower than the actual amount once over this past weekend, when I parked it there was one notch below the 1/2 tank mark, or 1 mark above 1/4 tank. Later when I started it there was only one notch left (1/8 tank) and while driving it less than 10 miles the distance till empty went from 64 miles to suddenly my light coming on. It only required 9.5 gallons to fill from that mark and showed full after that. I wonder if that was related to this recall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts