Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2,471 Posts
Use a small amount of high temp RTV to glue the sensor wires in place.

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
Drive review: ooooooo boy howdy do these suckers squeal after an overnight rainstorm. They scrub corrosion quickly but son of a bitch do they squeal. Otherwise they feel pretty good.
have they been completed bedded in yet? That makes a difference.

Reactions: The_Dude

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm throwing a follow-up post on this. I noticed an odd rattle from the front right when going over bumps so pulled the wheel to inspect. It turns out that both of the brake pad retaining pins had backed out of the caliper and were only just holding on to the pads. I checked the other side and only one was still holding on for dear life. I have done plenty of brake replacements with this same style of caliper and never had this happen, and now it was happening on both sides? Feels very weird--like the hardware issued with the brake pads is incompatible with the caliper. I'm going to keep an eye on them for a while and see if they start working themselves out again.

Oh and with the pins back in the rattle went away. Good thing we decided to take my wife's car on today's 4 hour drive to Grand Rapids!

· Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
10,003 Posts
I did. It's only when the rotors are wet overnight and get that little layer of corrosion.
Also sounds like a layer of commotion.

· Registered
252 Posts
I'm throwing a follow-up post on this. I noticed an odd rattle from the front right when going over bumps so pulled the wheel to inspect. It turns out that both of the brake pad retaining pins had backed out of the caliper and were only just holding on to the pads. I checked the other side and only one was still holding on for dear life. I have done plenty of brake replacements with this same style of caliper and never had this happen, and now it was happening on both sides? Feels very weird--like the hardware issued with the brake pads is incompatible with the caliper. I'm going to keep an eye on them for a while and see if they start working themselves out again.

Oh and with the pins back in the rattle went away. Good thing we decided to take my wife's car on today's 4 hour drive to Grand Rapids!
If the powerstops end up being a dead end, check out EBC redstuff. Not the strongest stopping power in the world, but squeal free, and very smooth operation 1 year and 10k miles in. I'm using them on my OEM rotors though, I did pads only @ 36k. Good luck, and thanks for sharing your project.

· Registered
2,471 Posts
@David Inc. in post #18 you state that the hardware kit that came with the pads wasn't an exact match to the OEM, but fits. I hope that you saved the original parts. It might be better to reuse them.

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
@David Inc. in post #18 you state that the hardware kit that came with the pads wasn't an exact match to the OEM, but fits. I hope that you saved the original parts. It might be better to reuse them.
Same thought but they're long gone. The pins were the same but the spring plate was different. I'm thinking the cylindrical spring on the head of the retaining pin doesn't have the right outside diameter--it absolutely should keep the pin in place but it seems it doesn't.

· Vendor
216 Posts
If anyone wants to try EBC Brakes remember you can get 10% off with the discount code FORUM10USER through the links in our signature below!

Quick pad breakdown;

Ultimax - OEM replacement, low dust, eco-friendly non metallic pad. Easy on rotors.

Greenstuff - entry level upgrade from OEM, not track capable. Medium/Low dust. Eco-friendly material

Redstuff – Organic blend, lowest dust & kind on rotors, better friction than Green. For higher HP &/or heavier cars. Ceramic particle enhanced, NOT ceramic fibres. Long lasting, not track capable

Yellowstuff - Street performance, great friction for spirited driving, works good from cold, works best when hot. Takes longer to bed. Not low dust.

Bluestuff - Hybrid Street & track pad. High friction street pad capable of track days. Works great from cold. Quicker bedding. Not low dust. 0.52mu coefficient & 0.42mu coefficient available for some rear applications (lighter cars)

RP1/X series – all-out track pad, high performance, RPX high 0.55mu torque for under servo'd cars RP1 medium 0.45mu torque for over servo'd cars. Not for street use.

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Do your hardware retaining pins routinely escape Giulia calipers? Suddenly this has become a much bigger selling point than I would have expected!

Are ultimax or greenstuff a better match for the stock Giulia pad material?

· Vendor
216 Posts
Do your hardware retaining pins routinely escape Giulia calipers? Suddenly this has become a much bigger selling point than I would have expected!

Are ultimax or greenstuff a better match for the stock Giulia pad material?
It is not something i have ever heard of but i will raise the query to our team and see if they have had any feedback on the matter

· Registered
949 Posts
I am a complete OEM man on my brake pads! True, I don’t track my car, but my pads are lasting a hell of a lot longer than any of the five Infiniti’s I owned... and three of those were the sport calibers.

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I am a complete OEM man on my brake pads! True, I don’t track my car, but my pads are lasting a hell of a lot longer than any of the five Infiniti’s I owned... and three of those were the sport calibers.
The OEM pads are good quality for sure, but the cost for them is simply outrageous. $350 for a set of regular ass brake pads is stupid.

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
The OEM pads are good quality for sure, but the cost for them is simply outrageous. $350 for a set of regular ass brake pads is stupid.
Eh, they're ok pads, I wouldn't say good. Powerstop Z23 if you want a bit better feel, better braking performance, and MUCH cheaper price.

· Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Eh, they're ok pads, I wouldn't say good. Powerstop Z23 if you want a bit better feel, better braking performance, and MUCH cheaper price.
That's what I have, and 3/4 of the supplied retaining pins escaped the front caliper. Similar to the issue here: Brake pad pin sticking out

Revised pin design? Who knows, but dangerous AF.

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts

· Vendor
216 Posts
@David Inc. to follow up, with our pads we supply them with wear leads but not any caliper hardware and we recommend sticking with OEM parts for such.

In USA stock is unfortunately short at the moment with Bluestuff F+R out of stock and Yellow fronts out, We have green and red available F+R and yellow rears at the moment. Hoping to have some come on a container from the UK soon.

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
@David Inc. to follow up, with our pads we supply them with wear leads but not any caliper hardware and we recommend sticking with OEM parts for such.

In USA stock is unfortunately short at the moment with Bluestuff F+R out of stock and Yellow fronts out, We have green and red available F+R and yellow rears at the moment. Hoping to have some come on a container from the UK soon.
BTW, the leads on the rear pads break off after some heat gets into the pads (yellows). Not that I care, I just cut them off now as I don't need my car to tell me my pad life is up.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts