Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I need to replace my brake pads, probably rotors too, but the OEM pricing is plain stupid and I feel like I should be able to find some better replacements for stock, maybe OEM replacements direct from Brembo without the Alfa pricing?

Any suggestions?

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
Hey so I need to replace my brake pads, probably rotors too, but the OEM pricing is plain stupid and I feel like I should be able to find some better replacements for stock, maybe OEM replacements direct from Brembo without the Alfa pricing?

Any suggestions?
QV or non-QV? Track time? Road Only?

The Power Stop Z23 pads are dirt cheap and do really well on the street and even on brake light tracks.

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QV or non-QV? Track time? Road Only?

The Power Stop Z23 pads are dirt cheap and do really well on the street and even on brake light tracks.
Oh wow, totally blew that huh.

It's a '17 Ti Sport w/ Performance Package (don't think the PP matters). I have another track toy so these brakes would be for enthusdiastic daily driving only.

Can I actually expect the hardware kits for those brakes to match the calipers on the Alfa?

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
Oh wow, totally blew that huh.

It's a '17 Ti Sport w/ Performance Package (don't think the PP matters). I have another track toy so these brakes would be for enthusdiastic daily driving only.

Can I actually expect the hardware kits for those brakes to match the calipers on the Alfa?
Yes, perfectly.

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, ordered!

Now to just drill down into the search function for rotors. I'd be happy to find Zimmerman, but having a hard time finding them US-side. Kind of odd because I'm used to easily picking them up on pelican parts for my old Porsche.

· Registered
2,471 Posts
Rockauto has a few listed.

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
Great, got 'em. Thanks everyone.

I'd never actually used Rockauto before. What an absolutely bizarre webpage, but I kind of enjoy its simplicity.
Full Brake Job Reading Material (Giulia/Stelvio 2.0T):

1. Enter Brake Service Mode via Infotainment system. This retracts the Parking brake.
2. Pull negative battery cable (quick disconnect), place towel over trunk latch to prevent accidental closing.
3. Do brake job.
4. PUMP BRAKES! This is important. If you don't do this prior to connecting the battery, the system will see a fluid loss the first time you push the brake pedal and will throw codes and be difficult.
5. Reconnect battery.
6. Turn on car, do not start. Brake Service mode should exit, if it doesn't just toggle the Parking brake a couple of times.
7. Start car.
8. Turn steering wheel all the way from lock to lock (all the way right, pause a second, then all the way left and pause again.) Set the wheel back to center.
9. Turn off car and wait for it to completely shut down (~30 seconds), start up again.
10. Warning lights should go away, if not repeat previous step.
11. Follow proper brake pad/rotor bedding procedure for your brake pads. (Standard ceramic daily driving pads are usually good to go with normal driving, but check first)

Bleeding, for 2.0T, goes like this.

Motive Power bleeder is the best, the BEST!!
Bleed brakes in this order: FL-inner, FL-outer, FR-inner, FR-outer, RR, RL

Reactions: Joshinator99

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
That Power Bleeder looks compelling. Do you have to use any MES magic or code clearing after using it?
If only bleeding, not at all.

Suck out as much old fluid as you can from the master cylinder with a turkey baster. Dump new fluid into the Motive. Connect it to the MC. Pump like you are a maniac until you get over 30psi. I use the Motive catch cans; they are very handy. Crack the bleeder and watch it slowly trickle out. It's not a fast process. Pay attention to color, and volume of fluid. I wish the catch can had some measurement marks, so you know how much you have bled out. Keep pumping to maintain above 30psi. Just remember the order... FL-inner, FL-outer, FR-inner, FR-outer, RR, RL

Reactions: Theo

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Full Brake Job Reading Material (Giulia/Stelvio 2.0T):

1. Enter Brake Service Mode via Infotainment system. This retracts the Parking brake.
2. Pull negative battery cable (quick disconnect), place towel over trunk latch to prevent accidental closing.
3. Do brake job.
4. PUMP BRAKES! This is important. If you don't do this prior to connecting the battery, the system will see a fluid loss the first time you push the brake pedal and will throw codes and be difficult.
5. Reconnect battery.
6. Turn on car, do not start. Brake Service mode should exit, if it doesn't just toggle the Parking brake a couple of times.
7. Start car.
8. Turn steering wheel all the way from lock to lock (all the way right, pause a second, then all the way left and pause again.) Set the wheel back to center.
9. Turn off car and wait for it to completely shut down (~30 seconds), start up again.
10. Warning lights should go away, if not repeat previous step.
11. Follow proper brake pad/rotor bedding procedure for your brake pads. (Standard ceramic daily driving pads are usually good to go with normal driving, but check first)

Bleeding, for 2.0T, goes like this.

Motive Power bleeder is the best, the BEST!!
Bleed brakes in this order: FL-inner, FL-outer, FR-inner, FR-outer, RR, RL
Hey thanks for the Alfa specifics. I've done a ton of brake jobs but almost always on older, dumber vehicles. I'm not a fan of the power bleeders, mixing brake fluid and pressure in a place where I don't want brake fluid isn't something I'm comfortable with. I've always pulled vacuum from the bleeder for flushing then a helper for final pump and bleed.

· Registered
949 Posts
Hey thanks for the Alfa specifics. I've done a ton of brake jobs but almost always on older, dumber vehicles. I'm not a fan of the power bleeders, mixing brake fluid and pressure in a place where I don't want brake fluid isn't something I'm comfortable with. I've always pulled vacuum from the bleeder for flushing then a helper for final pump and bleed.
This has been my normal... especially on those dumber cars. Remove as much from the MC and replace with fresh. Then pump it through each caliber till it’s clean, but I had seen a procedure for bleeding this car, and it was like diffusing a bomb.

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
This has been my normal... especially on those dumber cars. Remove as much from the MC and replace with fresh. Then pump it through each caliber till it’s clean, but I had seen a procedure for bleeding this car, and it was like diffusing a bomb.
Ha, no it's not that bad. My short procedure for bleeding the brakes is based on the factory procedures (attached). Really, it's only brake service mode, disconnect battery, bleed in proper order, pump brakes, reconnect battery, exit brake service mode by turning on car and toggling e-brake.

Attachments

· Registered
2,471 Posts
Not to hijack the thread,,, I have new, original, factory packed Petronas Tutela brake fluid for sale.

· Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for the input, all. New rotors and pads are in and everything feels good. I really like the lined DFC Geospec rotors for their no-prep installation. The hardware that came with the Powerstop Z23 pads isn't an exact match to OEM but fits. The downside is that the wear sensors for my front pads don't seem to have been cast into the pad properly so are just "stuck" in there, I can pull them out of the pad material easy peasy and am just hoping and wishing they stay in place by the zip-tie.

· Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,359 Posts
Thanks again for the input, all. New rotors and pads are in and everything feels good. I really like the lined DFC Geospec rotors for their no-prep installation. The hardware that came with the Powerstop Z23 pads isn't an exact match to OEM but fits. The downside is that the wear sensors for my front pads don't seem to have been cast into the pad properly so are just "stuck" in there, I can pull them out of the pad material easy peasy and am just hoping and wishing they stay in place by the zip-tie.
You don't need the wires. I cut mine off and have the harness zip tied out of the way.

Reactions: The_Dude
1 - 20 of 40 Posts