Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my TI came in (may 22) it had a water leak in back window (rain leak during shipping stated), during PDI it came up with the amp error. Bad amp and tuner(under dash shorted out by amp?), waiting for parts. Dealer said there is a Alfa write up on how to remove window do some sealing and reinstall window.
Question- Is this bad quality control and all might have the problem ( some amps blown might have not be from rear window tinting)?
My choice is take the repaired Red or a higher priced Silverstone (due in next week- the red was almost 3 wks late) for same price or I can walk away from Alfa. Also a repaired might be better than one that might leak in the future.

PS The options are sunroof (didn't want), Leather pkg (don't care if dash or upper doors are leather), Hi-performance Bi-Xenon Headlights (this would be nice)

·
Registered
103 Posts
When my TI came in (may 22) it had a water leak in back window (rain leak during shipping stated), during PDI it came up with the amp error. Bad amp and tuner(under dash shorted out by amp?), waiting for parts. Dealer said there is a Alfa write up on how to remove window do some sealing and reinstall window.
Question- Is this bad quality control and all might have the problem ( some amps blown might have not be from rear window tinting)?
My choice is take the repaired Red or a higher priced Silverstone (due in next week- the red was almost 3 wks late) for same price or I can walk away from Alfa. Also a repaired might be better than one that might leak in the future.

PS The options are sunroof (didn't want), Leather pkg (don't care if dash or upper doors are leather), Hi-performance Bi-Xenon Headlights (this would be nice)
seems like its a common quality matter now. bit worried for my qv on the shipping boat:|

·
Registered
658 Posts
My 2 cents, there are no cars where every example is 100% defect free so walking away from the Giulia if you love the car doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The key is how the dealer responds and your one seems to have given you a couple of good options. If the red one is your preferred spec I think I would take it once repaired because as you say you can be pretty sure that is one issue that Giulia won't have.

However if you believe your dealer can't actually fix the cars they are selling then you need to find a different dealer. Because at some point every car needs issues fixed.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts

The Amp problem when the rear deck gets wet is a known issue. Water follows a non-obvious route from a vent in the deck to end up in the amp. AR Giulia is not the only car that has such a problem (IIRC the other is an Audi). There is a thread on the subject in the forums.

I would only call the window leak a quality issue if it happens on a significant portion of shipped cars. Maybe you are the "lucky" one that got the only car with such a defect? The window and the amp are fixable. I would be more concerned about other water damage to things like metal and upholstery.

You have no idea of what they had to fix on the cars on the lot, or any other dealer's lot; I think it is better to get what you ordered and make certain that the dealer does a proper job of the repairs.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The other car is not in yet (next week) and I spoke to service manager who says will do a 20 min water hose test.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Water in the trunk

If the car has a rear window based water leak, is there evidence of water in the trunk after routine washing ???

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
The other car is not in yet (next week) and I spoke to service manager who says will do a 20 min water hose test.
Make sure that the deck lid, rear seat, and trunk lining have been inspected for dampness and either dried or replaced as necessary.
Make sure that what is usually bare metal under the deck lid and above the trunk was checked for water issues (rust), cleaned and dried. Hopefully the cars are only subjected to rain water while in transit.

You don't want anything rusting or molding months from now. The dealer should know to do all of this.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for you guys info, I'm leaning towards the Silverstone if it passes the water test.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

I would suggest you hold out for the car you think you really want. If you settle for something less, you'll be kicking yourself later.

I know it doesn't seem like it, but AR is trying to sort out all these issues. We haven't had our Ti long enough for an issue to arise, but I've owned my 4C for two and a half years now. I've had my share of problems. They did eventually fix everything, some more than once, lol. I'm glad I held out for the fix because she's a wonderful driver, and my daily.

Keep in mind that we're still in the first run of a new car design. We, the early adopters are the long term test drivers. We will find the things that the professionals missed.

Also, your new car warranty includes a free loaner car while your Giulia is in for warranty repairs. I've never had a 4C as a loaner when my 4C was in the shop, but a Fiat 500 beats walking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts