Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a bracket for the rear/trunk license plate? There are two screws but they don't make the plate sit right, it rests against the trunk - not right. There are 3 other additional mounting holes that are on the trunk - it seems there should be a bracket that screws to those holes and then the plate screws to that with 4 screws.

I know there are rubber pads but they don't do much for holding the plate away from the paint on the trunk lid -

Has to be a better way -

·
Registered
20 Posts
I placed the paper tag with the dealer name behind the tag to protect the paint. I didn't like the lower metal edge of the tag against my new paint. Door edge molding around the tag may be a more permanent solution.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There should be two spacers in the lower area in addition to the two upper square threaded spacers, so the edge should not be touching the trunk.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Is there a bracket for the rear/trunk license plate? There are two screws but they don't make the plate sit right, it rests against the trunk - not right. There are 3 other additional mounting holes that are on the trunk - it seems there should be a bracket that screws to those holes and then the plate screws to that with 4 screws.

I know there are rubber pads but they don't do much for holding the plate away from the paint on the trunk lid -

Has to be a better way -
I got a bracket from Autozone for couple of bucks, attaches with 4 screws and plate attaches into bracket with 4, solid as **** and quiet when closing the trunk

·
Registered
658 Posts
I got a bracket from Autozone for couple of bucks, attaches with 4 screws and plate attaches into bracket with 4, solid as **** and quiet when closing the trunk
Please post any details you have, part numbers anything because that sounds exactly like what I want.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Any pictures of that?
I posted picture months ago in some other thread, will make another one of finished result but here is the bracket pic from autozone

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Weathertech also does some nice heavy duty covers in various colors. I got one for the rear on my 4C in red, car is red. Not cheap but quality stuff.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Was away for a couple of weeks so this was my first chance. Found port number 79150 at Advance Auto, my price was 5.72 inc tax and it turns the two hole always going to rattle mount into a four screw mount. I would recommend not using the screws that come with it for anything. I got a kit of multiple license plate screws and ended up using a bunch of them. What found is using machine thread screws of a couple different sizes were ideal for attaching the adaptors. If you try to use coarse thread pointed tip sheet metal screws the lower screw receptacles on the Giulia will just spin. But it works great with the fine thread machine screws. BTW if the mounts start to spin you can take the trunk lid lining out to grip the back of them but its a bit of a pain :)

Thanks Lowflyer I have tried padding the bottom of other mounts, basically all the stop rattle tips without success. Now just a satisfying clunk, fixed.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
There should be two spacers in the lower area in addition to the two upper square threaded spacers, so the edge should not be touching the trunk.
Not on USA delivered Giulias....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just go to the hardware store or Home Depot and buy some adhesive backed weather stripping. It comes in a variety of widths and thicknesses. I think I used some that was 1/4 inch thick, and I adhered a strip of it on the back side of the plate. I used some that was made from a high quality foam rubber that stands up to weather better than the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
^ exactly, that is how I attached the bracket with 4 screws....maybe some US delivered Giulias were missing the lower 2 inserts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I was talking specifically about US Giulias.

(AM40 = USA; AM47 = Mexico; AM58 = Canada)

European Giulias have a large black plastic plate carrier.

One of these days Marchionne's brother you will be wrong !!!! But NOT THIS TIME !!! >:)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I do see the spacers on the 2 top screws but no spacers in the bottom. Do you know what they look like / where I could get them?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I do see the spacers on the 2 top screws but no spacers in the bottom. Do you know what they look like / where I could get them?
I think they look like thick black plastic washers, at least that's what I have but I can no longer remember whether they came with the Giulia or the kit of lose she plate screws I bought. If you go that route let me know how it works because I can definitely see that it will hold the bottom of the plate clear of the paint. But I think the lower screws will do little or nothing to quiet the closing because the back of the plate will bounce on the metal crew heads. You can pad the back of the pate with something to reduce the noise. But fundamentally it's still a mounting scheme the only holds the thin aluminum plate from two screws on one edge. I prefer the backing adaptor that allows all four plate mounting screw to be used.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
But I think the lower screws will do little or nothing to quiet the closing because the back of the plate will bounce on the metal crew heads.
True. Noise is not a concern for me though, I would just like the plate not to hit the paint every time the trunk closes. Right now I'm missing the washers that would take care of that...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts