Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been looking around for a new car recently, (considering C63, M4, S5 if you're curious and my previous car was a Mercedes Benz C300), and I stumbled into an Alfa Romeo dealership out of seer curiosity. After seeing and test driving the beautiful Giulia, I feel in LOVE instantly. I've been doing some research for a couple weeks now and renting one off Turo (2019 TI Sport) and absolutely loving it ,i've basically decided to get a giulia. I did have some questions regarding some experiences you guys have had with it RELIABILITY ( I've heard good and bad things from some articles online but still kinda skeptical about its reliability compared to German cars), options that are a MUST and is the Quadrafoglio COMFORTABLE enough to be a DAILY DRIVER. Also, is it worth the extra amount of money to get a new 2020 updated version compared to a used (maybe around 2017-18) version?

Thanks,
Eddy

·
Registered
422 Posts
I heard somebody say today that you know you are getting old when you find yourself liking Mercedes more. Alfas are for those who are a bit independent and don't follow the mob. Eddy go through this forum and you will see that the vast majority of us love our Giulias. As with any car there are the occasional problems (BTW I have seen more than a few Benzes being towed back to dealers) but with Alfas you need somebody who really knows their stuff to look after them for you (and some dealers are better than others). Used/new is always about the $$, but I would suggest you never buy the first ones in a new model of any car until the minor bugs have been sorted.

·
Registered
966 Posts
2018 Car Of The Year (the 2019 and 2020 are 99% the same thing). As reliable as any other sedan sport performance car in the world but, much more better design. As comfortable as any other sedan sport performance car in the world but much more stylish. Beautiful design, sophisticated mechanical's and competitive performance. Alfa Romeo is a way of living which cannot be explained in logical terms. It’s sensations, passions, things that have much more to do with man’s heart than with his brain. Remember, there are truly bad dealerships out there, with low capability, lack of trouble-shooting and lack of spare parts. And, there are also many great dealerships, with the right capability, service and support. Go for it !!!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I don't have a QV (Quadrifoglio Verde), I have a 2017 Ti Lusso Q4 (AWD) that I bought new at the dealership in September of 2017 with the 8 year warranty, and it's been my daily driver ever since. It's been and is a fantastic car. No issues. I've taken it on several trips of 1,000 miles. It's been a real gem. Reliable, great around town on daily commute or long trips. I've had any of the software updates and TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) done but only because they were issued, not because I was having any problems with the car. I've even done a few mods; intake, tune, cat-back exhaust, lighter brake rotors and wheels. It is single-handedly the best and most enjoyable car I've ever owned or driven in 50 years of driving.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’ve had my Giulia six months, and though I have gripes about my car, it’s been very reliable. Also, I read the forums daily, very few issues are reported on these cars, which has been a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
2018 QV Trofeo White
99 Posts
I’ve had my QV for over a year now and love it. It’s my daily driver definitely comfortable enough. Every time I go somewhere I get a compliment. Definitely would recommend getting one

Hi,
I've been looking around for a new car recently, (considering C63, M4, S5 if you're curious and my previous car was a Mercedes Benz C300), and I stumbled into an Alfa Romeo dealership out of seer curiosity. After seeing and test driving the beautiful Giulia, I feel in LOVE instantly. I've been doing some research for a couple weeks now and renting one off Turo (2019 TI Sport) and absolutely loving it ,i've basically decided to get a giulia. I did have some questions regarding some experiences you guys have had with it RELIABILITY ( I've heard good and bad things from some articles online but still kinda skeptical about its reliability compared to German cars), options that are a MUST and is the Quadrafoglio COMFORTABLE enough to be a DAILY DRIVER. Also, is it worth the extra amount of money to get a new 2020 updated version compared to a used (maybe around 2017-18) version?

Thanks,
Eddy

·
Registered
267 Posts
I daily drive a 2017 QV and have had zero issues. I find excuses to drive the car. I find excuses to take back roads whenever possible. Personally, unless you have your heart set on CarPlay/AndroidAuto, I'd strongly consider a low mile used 2017/2018 with an extended warranty. Like all higher end cars, they take a big depreciation hit the first 2 years (yes, all cars do, but the same percentage hit on an expensive car is that much larger) and you can find some amazingly low mileage cars. I bought my 2017 in summer of 2018 with 2200 miles on it. If you love the handling most, you'll be plenty happy with a Ti. If you love the power just as much, the QV is totally worth it. If you're in between, get a Ti and tune it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an '18 QV and even though I only drive it 2-3 times a week right now, I would have no reservations about using it as a daily. I plan on doing so in the summer months.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had my Ti since June of 2017. Now have 47000+ miles on it and no problems except for the cluster having to be replaced ( warranty ). Daily driver and love it!

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Quadrifoglio
54 Posts
Hi,
I've been looking around for a new car recently, (considering C63, M4, S5 if you're curious and my previous car was a Mercedes Benz C300), and I stumbled into an Alfa Romeo dealership out of seer curiosity. After seeing and test driving the beautiful Giulia, I feel in LOVE instantly. I've been doing some research for a couple weeks now and renting one off Turo (2019 TI Sport) and absolutely loving it ,i've basically decided to get a giulia.
If you are looking at those higher powered cars above, I'd definitely steer you towards a Quadrifoglio (note the I in the spelling, got me too the first time) over the base 4 cylinder.

I did have some questions regarding some experiences you guys have had with it RELIABILITY ( I've heard good and bad things from some articles online but still kinda skeptical about its reliability compared to German cars)
Only have had mine for a week, so I can't answer that. I had heard that the 2017's had some electrical issues. I'd say that those are likely sorted out by now. 2019 marks the entrance of the fold-down rear seat, and also a center armrest if that's important.

options that are a MUST
I think every Quadrifoglio that I looked at had the driver assistance package. The adaptive cruise control is something you simply must have. It's my favorite option. Adjusts to traffic, will bring you smoothly to a full stop in stop-and-go traffic, and will take off again (within 2 seconds) if traffic starts moving. If longer than 2 seconds, just tap the gas to take off. Makes driving in traffic so nice. I can't recommend it enough.

and is the Quadrafoglio COMFORTABLE enough to be a DAILY DRIVER.
You bet your boots. I have a 60 mile round trip commute to work. Previously was driving a SLK 55 AMG. I set the Giulia in "A" (advanced economy) which sets everything up for a nice smooth ride and I get around 27 MPG on the ride in. I didn't really appreciate being able to set the damper to soft, I just got used to the rough ride of the AMG. It's darn nice to smoothly roll along in the morning. If you want a firm ride, you just switch the DNA(r) selector. My departed father-in-law would be very happy to know that I've finally got a car with an "R for race!" selection.

Also, is it worth the extra amount of money to get a new 2020 updated version compared to a used (maybe around 2017-18) version?
Well, IMO that depends on how much remaining factory warranty you want. I opted to go for a 2019 because I'd get close to 3 years of warranty left. Getting an older car means less warranty, and that warranty may be valuable to you if you have concerns about reliability. FYI, these cars come with a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. Personally, I don't buy new anymore because I'd rather someone else take the depreciation hit. I got mine for $55k, 1 year old and 7,200 miles on the clock with 3 years warranty remaining.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't have a QV, but I do have a 2018 Ti and I couldn't be happier. Two years of ownership and not one iota of problems to speak of other than an update and a sticking hood latch that I adjusted myself. This is the first car that I buy that my wife was ever really excited about. I have been thinking of replacing it, as I am kind of fickle and I would like to experience different makes while still on the vertical, but I can't find another one that checks off all the boxes that I am looking for in a car. This is one fantastic and sexy machine, QV or otherwise. Quit sitting on your laurels and go make that deal on a QV, you won't regret it. ;)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I think every Quadrifoglio that I looked at had the driver assistance package. The adaptive cruise control is something you simply must have. It's my favorite option. Adjusts to traffic, will bring you smoothly to a full stop in stop-and-go traffic, and will take off again (within 2 seconds) if traffic starts moving. If longer than 2 seconds, just tap the gas to take off. Makes driving in traffic so nice. I can't recommend it enough.

You bet your boots. I have a 60 mile round trip commute to work. Previously was driving a SLK 55 AMG. I set the Giulia in "A" (advanced economy) which sets everything up for a nice smooth ride and I get around 27 MPG on the ride in. I didn't really appreciate being able to set the damper to soft, I just got used to the rough ride of the AMG. It's darn nice to smoothly roll along in the morning. If you want a firm ride, you just switch the DNA(r) selector. My departed father-in-law would be very happy to know that I've finally got a car with an "R for race!" selection.

Well, IMO that depends on how much remaining factory warranty you want. I opted to go for a 2019 because I'd get close to 3 years of warranty left. Getting an older car means less warranty, and that warranty may be valuable to you if you have concerns about reliability. FYI, these cars come with a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty. Personally, I don't buy new anymore because I'd rather someone else take the depreciation hit. I got mine for $55k, 1 year old and 7,200 miles on the clock with 3 years warranty remaining.
Mine didn't come with the driver assistance and I'm glad bc I didn't want the infrared screen.

27mpg! That's lucky. I too have a 60 mile commute but I'm lucky to get 17mpg. Then again I do drive like I'm late to work, even though I'm not ?

You can always get an extended warranty. That's what I'm in the process of now

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
I've had two QVs first one sold 39k miles and my current one is pushing 30k miles, zero issues. I feel daily driving is the key since those cars are very sensitive to low battery.
Hello Alfamonkey,
We certainly appreciate hearing your feedback. If you have any questions in the future, please know our team is available.
Laura
AlfaRomeoCares

1 - 20 of 54 Posts