Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Q4 T1 Lusso with Sport Package. At purchase I decided I had to have the paddles even though I was not sure how much I would use them. I find the automatic to be very good, but have learned to use the shifters and enjoy the higher revs you can get with them. But, at the end of the day, I think I use Automatic mode 95% of the time.

I am curious what others are finding as the "preferred mode" of driving, whatever Alfa you have.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Originally I was very keen on getting the paddles, but at the end of the day the perfect car showed up on the lot and the only thing it didn't have was paddles. I was saving money at the same time, so I didn't feel like I was really missing out

I have been driving it in manual mode a little more frequently, but only on the twisty portion of my 12 mi commute (very brief) when the weather conditions are perfect and nobody is around, which doesn't happen too often. I probably leave it in automatic, natural 98% of the time.

Once the winter tires are off and the roads are clean, I plan on driving it a little harder and hunting around for more fun roads

·
Registered
448 Posts
Prior to getting the exhaust on my car I probably used the paddles 20% of the time. You know weekends, and the occasional spirited drive.

After getting the exhaust, I use the paddles 80% of the time. Pretty much every excuse I get.

·
Registered
332 Posts
About 50-70% honestly. I have phases where I use auto a lot and then manual a lot. It just depends on the mood. But the car handles manual shifts so nicely!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Had the car less than a month and have put 1500 miles on so far. I was out tonight going to the store, just an excuse to drive her, and shifted into manual on the way home for the first time. I will have to say I love being able to control the RPMs. Going to take some more practice but I will enjoy every moment of it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have five mile commute in city traffic and still use manual ~80% of the time. If traffic is really heavy I'll put it in normal w/auto, but it's rare. Even in dynamic w/auto I find it's a little too fuel conscious and has a bit of a lag before downshifting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
99.5% automatic, and mostly use the paddles to shift down to pass and up to get speed. Maybe there is an option to just use the paddles without the trans going back to D mode after 10 seconds.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Maybe there is an option to just use the paddles without the trans going back to D mode after 10 seconds.
Assuming it's a left hand drive car, tip the gear selector to the left (towards the driver's seat) to put it in Manual mode, and it will remain in manual (i.e. not shift back to D after 10 secs).

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I'm probably a 90/10 auto/manual ratio, and manual gets that high even only because I'll shift into M at times during an auto drive when I want to have fun. I very rarely start a drive in manual just to drive in manual.

I've only had the car in winter, though, so that ratio may change when it's windows-open season. I can definitely imagine using the paddles more if it produced a sweet exhaust note; I would like that very much, but $1.8k for Centerline Lusso install is a little rich for me right now, and it's only a two-year lease as well.

Reactions: mtb.ck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can you downshift while in auto?

Since this car has a Manual instead of S mode I am curious. I never tried to do it on my test drives. This is really all I'd care about for going into a round about.

EDIT: Just realized this was answered above basically:
99.5% automatic, and mostly use the paddles to shift down to pass and up to get speed. Maybe there is an option to just use the paddles without the trans going back to D mode after 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Assuming it's a left hand drive car, tip the gear selector to the left (towards the driver's seat) to put it in Manual mode, and it will remain in manual (i.e. not shift back to D after 10 secs).
Yes, but what I have not tried yet is to put it in manual mode and see if you can use the paddles.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Manual a fair amount to keep the rpm higher . In auto it shifts around 2500 rpm which is nit taking advantage of the turbo. Shifting at 3500-4000 makes the car more fun to drive.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Yes, but what I have not tried yet is to put it in manual mode and see if you can use the paddles.
Oh, wow, yeah, you’re in for a treat, then! The paddles feel so much more solid and nicer than the flimsy, chintzy plastic, gear selector stick!

If you’re accustomed to going to the center console to shift, doing so at the wheel may take some time to get used to, but the ease and convenience should be satisfying.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ridiculous question here, so bear with me. Can we switch the DNA mode while moving? And if so, is there a speed to which we need to be under before switching I never have just because it feels like it would jack up the car.

Yay? Nay?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ridiculous question here, so bear with me. Can we switch the DNA mode while moving? And if so, is there a speed to which we need to be under before switching I never have just because it feels like it would jack up the car.

Yay? Nay?
yes you can switch it at any time!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts