Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,271 Posts
Dynamometers measure wheel horsepower. Manufacturers state engine horsepower. That looks close enough to right for a stock QV.

The Difference Between BHP And WHP Explained
The chart is unclear to me. It uses the term "power to shaft", but what shaft is that? If that is wheel power, the number is high.

BHP is best measured directly. Some dynos attempt to estimate BHP from WHP by looking at the dynamic behavior of the car, but that involves a fair amount of guess work. As a result I prefer to see WHP numbers.

Also, I know the 2.0T will reduce power dramatically if the oil temperature gets too high. Controlling engine temperature is difficult on a dyno stand.

·
Registered
9,271 Posts

·
Registered
9,271 Posts
In EU the engine is 510hp. ;)
I think in the EU your engine is 510PS, a non-sense unit also known as metric horsepower that is used for some reason in modern car engine ratings. It is the same as 504HP (google says 503HP).
The meaningful unit to use in the metric system is kw (kilo watts). The QV engine has 376kw output. If you use that figure together with metric units for weight you can compute expected performance with no magic numbers for units conversions.

In spite of several attempts to convert the USA to metric it seems all that has happened is Europe has adopted pseudo British units. It makes no sense to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts