Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- not sure how else to describe this, but each of the last few days, when starting after sitting for some time (Ti, sport package, driver static assist), I hear a small but audible "pew pew pew" sound that seems to originate from the mirror control area (or something near by). It's very tonally consistent, and repeats 3-5 times, so I'm wondering if it's something intentional (a warning chime that I hadn't noticed previously?) or...I honestly can't say. I'll try to get a video of it, but curious if any other owners have heard this or know what it might be? Something to worry about?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
On my Ti, when I set the alarm, the mirrors fold in. The mirrors fold out when I start the car. Since you mentioned mirror area, could the 'ray gun' sound be part of the folding/unfolding action?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my Ti, when I set the alarm, the mirrors fold in. The mirrors fold out when I start the car. Since you mentioned mirror area, could the 'ray gun' sound be part of the folding/unfolding action?
I don't think so, since the mirrors are fully extended by the time the sound starts, although maybe it's one of the motors not knowing that the mirror is out, so it's driving but stalled? Guess I'll be calling the dealer...

And, to hijack my own thread, I tried my remote start the other day, but the only thing it did was turn on the radio and extend the mirrors...no engine running. I'm just about at 1/4 tank, and I heard that less than a quarter will inhibit autostart, so maybe that's what that is?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I have not tried the remote start yet. Kind of afraid to. There are known problems with the remote start.

Let us know what the dealer has to say.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Will do! I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who fell for the Guilia despite my own logical reservations re: quality/reliability!
Alfa Romeo is primarily the new and unknown here in America. It's been twenty years or better since they imported a car (8C excluded). Few people have ever heard the name Alfa Romeo. That's the number one question I've heard for the last two and a half years with my 4C. "Who makes Alpha Romero?" (I intentionally misspelled it as that's how they usually mispronounce it)

Being a first run new car design, it's bound to have issues. That normal and common first any first run, regardless of who built the car. We, the early adopters need to exercise patience and understanding with these new car issues. As AR resolves our issues, they add this new knowledge to their tiny, but growing database.

Given enough of the same issues, they will do two things:
1) Issue a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) so that the many remaining Giulias can be easily fixed.
2) Add the 'fix' to the assembly line in Cassino so that all new cars avoid this issue.

I know how frustrating it can be though. I own a first run 4C and now a first run Giulia Ti.

People like you who share their experience in the forum help the rest of us as well. We tend to feel like we have the only car with problems and feel like AR is ignoring us. I can tell you that AR is not ignoring us, but it really does seem that way. They are trying to resolve all these problems, but, their lack of communication with us reinforces these negative feelings.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Use my remote start a lot too, with no issues. Although I have not tried it with less than 1/4 tank of gas. I am below that now, so I will give it a shot when i leave work and see if it does indeed start.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hmm. Maybe those early failures were limited to a specific trim package / build options and nobody mentioned the build thinking it wasn't important.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Just do it! The exhaust sound for those 40sec is worth it...

I took the plunge. The car exploded into a gazillion pieces leaving me with nothing except singed eyebrows, the key in my hand and a story to tell.

The car started just fine. I let her idle a while. That's the loudest I've ever hear the exhaust. Definitely needs more rumble. Got in, no error lights. Turned her off and remote started her from inside. The AC came on, which I don't understand. The weather has been moderate here so we have not been using the heater or AC, four windows down as it should be. Shut her off and started her in the normal fashion. No AC, no error lights.

Specific data is always a good thing.
This is a Ti Q2 with Lusso pack.
Fuel near full.
Parking brake set.
Ground level.
Ambient air temp about 68f.
Humidity our normal low around 15 or 20%
Mileage 325 (US Miles).

edit:
I never heard a ray-gun sound. I looked everwhere for kids playing Space Alien and didn't any. :(

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not to continue hijacking this thread, but in the spirit of ray gun sounds (which I haven't experienced) yesterday morning my steering wheel was making chewbaca sounds every time I turned it in either direction past 90 degrees. Afternoon drive was normal again after the cabin heated up...how bizzare

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Not to continue hijacking this thread, but in the spirit of ray gun sounds (which I haven't experienced) yesterday morning my steering wheel was making chewbaca sounds every time I turned it in either direction past 90 degrees. Afternoon drive was normal again after the cabin heated up...how bizzare
There are a few threads on the steering thing you mentioned. It's normal on the Giulia to scrub at full lock. AR could have tuned that out, but at the cost of having a slugish car in the canyons. It's a compromize. I'll take the better canyon driving any day.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There are a few threads on the steering thing you mentioned. It's normal on the Giulia to scrub at full lock. AR could have tuned that out, but at the cost of having a slugish car in the canyons. It's a compromize. I'll take the better canyon driving any day.

I mean inside the cabin. Like literally the steering wheel was creaking!!!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
I mean inside the cabin. Like literally the steering wheel was creaking!!!
First check for the obvious: steering wheel is rubbing something or adjusted to an extreme position that causes some kind of rubbing.

Other sources of such sounds need attention by your service department: sliding electric contacts not lubricated or loose, top/rear steering column bushing broken, turn signal cancel mechanism not lubricated (this may be electronic and not exist as a mechanical contraption, I dunno), mispositioned wire in the column is rubbing the moving parts. Checking for any of these requires removing the steering wheel at a minimum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alfa Romeo is primarily the new and unknown here in America. It's been twenty years or better since they imported a car (8C excluded). Few people have ever heard the name Alfa Romeo. That's the number one question I've heard for the last two and a half years with my 4C. "Who makes Alpha Romero?" (I intentionally misspelled it as that's how they usually mispronounce it)

Being a first run new car design, it's bound to have issues. That normal and common first any first run, regardless of who built the car. We, the early adopters need to exercise patience and understanding with these new car issues. As AR resolves our issues, they add this new knowledge to their tiny, but growing database.

Given enough of the same issues, they will do two things:
1) Issue a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) so that the many remaining Giulias can be easily fixed.
2) Add the 'fix' to the assembly line in Cassino so that all new cars avoid this issue.

I know how frustrating it can be though. I own a first run 4C and now a first run Giulia Ti.

People like you who share their experience in the forum help the rest of us as well. We tend to feel like we have the only car with problems and feel like AR is ignoring us. I can tell you that AR is not ignoring us, but it really does seem that way. They are trying to resolve all these problems, but, their lack of communication with us reinforces these negative feelings.
Agree 100%- I head the global assay support group for the world's leading cancer diagnostics provider, and we receive the same feedback from our field sales and support teams- "no one listens to us!" "you're not changing things fast enough!"...any regulated industry (we've got FDA, AR has (maybe?) NHTSA, FTC, EPA) has hurdles that are sometimes bureaucratic, but always required.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.