Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car only has 500 miles and it surprises me how loud it idles. It's not a rod knocking sound but more like loud lifters. No check engine lights or low oil it has been doing this since day 1. Has anyone experienced this? I also have rough idle which I know many have experienced. Is it time for a dealer call?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
My car only has 500 miles and it surprises me how loud it idles. It's not a rod knocking sound but more like loud lifters. No check engine lights or low oil it has been doing this since day 1. Has anyone experienced this? I also have rough idle which I know many have experienced. Is it time for a dealer call?

Thanks
I know that there have been some software updates that address certain engine idle issues....is yours a 17 or 18??
but also the direct injection does tick like a bomb, especially on start-up, it quiets down after warm...
my wife's F30 328i used to do as you describe and the whole motor used to shake at idle:surprise:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
DI characteristic. Much quieter inside the cabin, thankfully.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an 18. The only reason I worry a bit about it is because I don't remember the other giulia's I test drove sounding like this.

Louder when cold but still loud while warm.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My QV does this ... louder at cold start, but still there after warm, just much softer. It's the kind of sound that you used to hear just before a motor went away lol. But I've heard other QV owners describe the same thing, so much be a normal sound for this engine.....

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
The reason it sounds sort of like a diesel is that direct injected gasoline engines run extremely high fuel pressures, just like diesel engines.

I believe the sound is the injectors themselves opening.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I can't say that I've noticed any noise as described, but I haven't run the engine with the hood up and my head in the bay either. Nor do I warm up the car and listen to it from outside.

I do get a fairly loud rattle when driving in D mode above 7000' elevation and giving it 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I am guessing that is the turbo relief valve fluttering, but I don't know. Only in D, only at high altitude, only at said throttle range though, I would think the valve flutter could be heard under other conditions. Maybe something about the altitude changes the acoustics enough to make the sound louder?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
I hear the rattle when the car is all warmed up and I get out to retrieve the mail at the end of the driveway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mentioned it to the service writer when I took the car in last week for service. It almost sounds like a heatshield is rattling a bit at idle. They had "their best technician look into it" and they didn't hear anything out of place so...... I guess it's normal. Definitely got louder around 20K miles.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Yeah, these are rather crummy sounding engines. Sometimes they make an awful clacking noise, sometimes they don't. I've driven a few, QV included, and heard even more, and they're just not all that refined sounding.

If the OP is hearing it all the time, regardless of being warm or cold, then it should be checked out. I don't know that I totally trust the oil level indicator on the dash, and have had the experience of adding some oil and having the noise quiet down, just last week, in fact. I wouldn't add if the indicator is saying full, but mine was down in the bottom quarter of the good fill range, so 3/4 quart of 0W/30 to carry me through next week to my oil change appointment really quieted things down.

Reactions: EspressoTech
1 - 12 of 12 Posts