Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this could be, and why its unplugged and just hanging there? I tried to crawl under the car and reach around to feel if there was a place it should be plugged in to but couldn't seem to find one... its a little concerning.

Its on the right side rear of the car. Anyone else have this???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Nothing to worry about. That's connector K002, which is for the rear suspension position sensor, only present on cars equipped with 35W bi-xenons, for the self-leveling system. On cars with halogens or 25W bi-xenons there's no sensor, and the connector is unused.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well then I must have an Issue, because I have the "high performance HID" 35W lighting package on my car, so shouldn't it be plugged in somewhere?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,476 Posts
Even an unused connector should be secured.

Interesting that Alfa Romeo design/sourcing is paying for a lead that won't be used.
Apparently someone made a cost vs. complexity decision that resulted in its presence.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You don't have the sensor either. You can see the mounting holes on the subframe for the sensor body in your pics 2 and 3, and the plain black plug on the suspension, instead of the one with the sensor arm attachment.

Edit: I've just looked at the parts catalogue, apparently NAFTA Giulias don't have self-leveling at all. Nothing missing from your car, then.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I've just looked at the parts catalogue, apparently NAFTA Giulias don't have self-leveling at all. Nothing missing from your car, then.
Apparently the Giulia's wiring isn't NAFTA-specific.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
A wire should not be hanging like that. My car doesn't have it... I assume it's secured as it should. Yours probably moved out of its location after a bump

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Bag the end of it and zip tie it down if you can reach it. Otherwise have the dealer do it on warranty.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Bag the end of it and zip tie it down if you can reach it. Otherwise have the dealer do it on warranty.
And miss the opportunity to do this?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Dude! :D

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nothing to worry about. That's connector K002, which is for the rear suspension position sensor, only present on cars equipped with 35W bi-xenons, for the self-leveling system. On cars with halogens or 25W bi-xenons there's no sensor, and the connector is unused.
Edit: I've just looked at the parts catalogue, apparently NAFTA Giulias don't have self-leveling at all. Nothing missing from your car, then.
So what else is Alfa selling us, that we're paying for, that we actually aren't getting?

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/content/dam/alfausa/pdf/giulia/2017_AR_Giulia_FA.pdf

midway down pg2 of the above PDF: "Bi-xenon projector headlamps (35W), includes AFL and auto-leveling"

(I did order the 35W performance headlamp upgrade on my Ti order, so I'm a bit miffed if it doesn't deliver on everything it was supposed to be)

·
Banned
264 Posts
So what else is Alfa selling us, that we're paying for, that we actually aren't getting?

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/content/dam/alfausa/pdf/giulia/2017_AR_Giulia_FA.pdf

midway down pg2 of the above PDF: "Bi-xenon projector headlamps (35W), includes AFL and auto-leveling"

(I did order the 35W performance headlamp upgrade on my Ti order, so I'm a bit miffed if it doesn't deliver on everything it was supposed to be)
That is auto leveling of the headlights...not the suspension...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
I wonder if installing the sensor would be sufficient to make auto leveling work?

tadslc's 1970 Norton Commando and my 1971 Norton Commando came pre-wired for Interpol service: just plug in lights, siren and radio into the right places and you are good to go. I rewired my bike and eliminated what seemed like 5 pounds of wire.

Anyway, the point is that manufacturers often find it more economical to have a single part with more than the minimum functionality than to have multiple optimized parts. Less design time, less testing, and fewer parts to stock can easily outweigh an increase in the cost of the part. You will likely find mounting bosses with nothing attached here and there as well wires with nothing attached to them on any vehicle. I didn't hear anybody complaining about the convenience of the power outlet that is under the carpet for powering the Mopar illuminated door sills that aren't even an order-able option.

And yes, the plug should not be dangling. There may be a plastic pin on the plug that is supposed to be pushed through a hole somewhere to hold it in place; or maybe there is another cable clip like the one seen in your pictures farther from the plug. Otherwise I would get the dealer to constrain it as a warranty repair. Plastic bags and zip ties on vehicle exteriors tend to not hold up over time and should only be used as a temporary measure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts