Last night, I was stuck in traffic in LA for over an hour and half. I had a low fuel warning, but thought that I had enough gas to make it to the fuel station. Ran out of gas about 100 feet or so from the gas station. I was able to get a small container of gas and fill up to make it to the gas station after that. Here are the lessons that I learned about the QV last night:
- The gas tank is very small. 15.3 gallons is tiny, especially when I'm averaging about 16 miles a gallon. I feel like I am always filling up the tank. In comparison, my GT-R was getting about 14 miles a gallon but the tank was 19.5 gallons, so I went to the gas station a lot less.
- The warning light comes on with about 2 gallons left in the tank. There is no "reserve" tank to speak of, so when the last fuel light blip disappears, you have less than 1 gallon of gas to get to a gas station.
- I was so close to the gas station that I wanted to push it to the pump (thank goodness for the lightness of carbon fiber). However, there is no appreciable way to take the car out of PARK when this happens. I tried what was suggested in the manual by holding the Start/Stop button for 3 seconds and that didn't seem to work. This is one of the downsides of an electrically gated transmission--you can't get into neutral if you need to. Super frustrating.
- When you do restart your engine after getting gas, every "Check Engine" light in the world will come on. The car goes into limp mode and it tells you to "Service Engine". The OBD II codes that popped up for me were P0003 and P008a, both of which have to do with the fuel system. I cleared both of them with my Waylens Horizon camera's OBD II connection, but the "Service Engine" display and limp mode persisted for about 20 miles and numerous restarts over the next 24 hours. I actually set up a service appointment with the Alfa dealer, but cancelled after everything magically returned back to normal this afternoon.
- Limp mode sucks. I was getting passed by Priuses on the freeway left and right. I think the 0-60 in limp mode is around 15 seconds or so.