Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else received the letter from the COLUMBUS CITIZENS FOUNDATION "Chairman of Italian Affairs" Lawrence Auriana, announcing the sale of raffle tickets to win a new Giulia?
500 tickets available, at the cost of $500.00 each.
"Through these raffles, the Foundation has been able to fund scholarships......for children......"
The drawing to be held on October 7, 2017 at 11:00 pm at the New York Hilton
***Will this be the first MY2018 Giulia delivered?***
For more information, visit: www.ColumbusCitizens.org/Raffle
PS
I have not visited the web site or investigated this "Foundation".
While helping "academically qualified (children) in need of financial assistance secure their education" is a worthy goal, celebrating Christopher Columbus (or those that may celebrate him) is not.
As we were taught in grade school, he "discovered the New World and the Americas"
Then we learned about Amerigo Vespucci, but I digress.
CC may have sailed a few big boats, but he is also credited with spearheading the transatlantic slave trade, the genocide of the Hispaniola people, and being a vile anti-Semite.
Read more at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Yep, got one yesterday. Looks like my car.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Has anyone else received the letter from the COLUMBUS CITIZENS FOUNDATION "Chairman of Italian Affairs" Lawrence Auriana, announcing the sale of raffle tickets to win a new Giulia?
500 tickets available, at the cost of $500.00 each.
"Through these raffles, the Foundation has been able to fund scholarships......for children......"
The drawing to be held on October 7, 2017 at 11:00 pm at the New York Hilton
***Will this be the first MY2018 Giulia delivered?***
For more information, visit: www.ColumbusCitizens.org/Raffle
PS
I have not visited the web site or investigated this "Foundation".
While helping "academically qualified (children) in need of financial assistance secure their education" is a worthy goal, celebrating Christopher Columbus (or those that may celebrate him) is not.
As we were taught in grade school, he "discovered the New World and the Americas"
Then we learned about Amerigo Vespucci, but I digress.
CC may have sailed a few big boats, but he is also credited with spearheading the transatlantic slave trade, the genocide of the Hispaniola people, and being a vile anti-Semite.
Read more at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Columbus
History is often convoluted in its interpretation and recollection of the stories that are perhaps manufactured and ultimately heralded as "facts". Columbus' roots have long been a topic of great debate.
This source http://www.ascension-research.org/A_New_Identity_for_Christopher_Columbus.html
promotes yet another explanation.

Chios, Greece at the time was a colony of Genoa (The main Genoese commercial bases were Chios and Mytilene in the Aegean Sea), and was and continues to be a hub for Naval Captains and due to its island specific resource (the Mastic tree, which cannot be grown anywhere else in the world), it was an important port for commerce ( the aromatic, ivory-colored resin, also known as mastic, is harvested as a spice from the cultivated mastic trees grown in the south of the Greek island of Chios in the Aegean Sea, where it is also known by the name "Chios tears").

As to Columbus's transgressions, the nature of a conqueror is to conquer. It is well documented that Greeks provided safe haven to Jews during WW II in escaping Nazis that had invaded various islands in search of Jews. Obviously well after Columbus's existance but if indeed he was a Roman speaking Greek, he may not be the anti Semite some have reported...

The Foundation for the Advancement of Sephardic Studies and Culture writes "One cannot forget the repeated initiatives of the head of the Greek Christian Orthodox Metropolitan See of Thessaloniki, Gennadios, against the deportations, and most of all, the official letter of protest signed in Athens on March 23, 1943, by Archbishop Damaskinos of the Greek Orthodox Church, along with 27 prominent leaders of cultural, academic and professional organizations. The document, written in a very sharp language, refers to unbreakable bonds between Christian Orthodox and Jews, identifying them jointly as Greeks, without differentiation. It is noteworthy that such a document is unique in the whole of occupied Europe, in character, content and purpose".
The 275 Jews of the island of Zakynthos, however, survived the Holocaust. When the island's mayor, Lucas Κarrer (Λουκάς Καρρέρ), was presented with the German order to hand over a list of Jews, Bishop Chrysostomos returned to the amazed Germans with a list of two names; his and the mayor's. Moreover, the Bishop wrote a letter to Hitler himself stating that the Jews of the island were under his supervision. In the meantime the island's population hid every member of the Jewish community. When the island was almost levelled by the great earthquake of 1953, the first relief came from the state of Israel, with a message that read "The Jews of Zakynthos have never forgotten their Mayor or their beloved Bishop and what they did for us."
The Jewish community of Volos, one of the most ancient in Greece, has had fewer losses than any other Jewish community in Greece thanks to the timely and dynamic intervention and mobilization of the massive communist-leftist partizan movement of EAM-ELAS (National Liberation Front (Greece) – Greek People's Liberation Army) and the successful cooperation of the head of the Greek Christian Orthodox Metropolitan See of Demetrias Joachim and the chief rabbi of Volos Moses Pesach for the evacuation of Volos from the Jewish people, after the events in Thessaloniki (displacement of the city's Jews to concentration camps).
Princess Alice of Battenberg and Greece, who was the wife of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and the mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and mother-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom stayed in occupied Athens during the Second World War, sheltering Jewish refugees, for which she is recognised as "Righteous Among the Nations" at Yad Vashem. Although the Germans and Bulgarians deported a great number of Greek Jews, others were successfully hidden by their Greek neighbours.
A touching testimony of 82-year-old Simon Danieli, who traveled from Israel to his birthplace in Veria to thank the descendants of the people who helped him and his family escape Nazi persecution during World War II.
Danieli was 13 in 1942 when his family—father Joseph, a grain merchant, mother Buena, and nine siblings—fled Veria to escape the increasingly frequent atrocities committed by Nazi forces against the city’s Jews. They ended up in a small nearby village in Sykies, where the family was taken in by Giorgos and Panayiota Lanara, who offered them shelter, food and a hiding place in the woods, helped also by a priest, Nestoras Karamitsopoulos.

So all I'm saying is that history is up to "interpretation"......:wink2:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I received the letter, and will not be purchasing a ticket. I occasionally enter the BMW club raffles. The BMW odds are much lower, however the cost of entry is only $10. $500 for a one in 500 chance Is simply too rich for my blood. I would probably consider entering at $100 a ticket at those odds.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"11. Prior to delivery, the Columbus Citizens Foundation will collect from the winner withholding tax and forward it to the I.R.S., in the amount of 28%, based upon the value of the car."

No grazie.
Quickly create a 501 (c) ....maybe..."the Giulia Foundation".....0:)

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
History is often convoluted in its interpretation and recollection of the stories that are perhaps manufactured and ultimately heralded as "facts". Columbus' roots have long been a topic of great debate.
This source http://www.ascension-research.org/A_New_Identity_for_Christopher_Columbus.html
promotes yet another explanation.

Chios, Greece at the time was a colony of Genoa (The main Genoese commercial bases were Chios and Mytilene in the Aegean Sea), and was and continues to be a hub for Naval Captains and due to its island specific resource (the Mastic tree, which cannot be grown anywhere else in the world), it was an important port for commerce ( the aromatic, ivory-colored resin, also known as mastic, is harvested as a spice from the cultivated mastic trees grown in the south of the Greek island of Chios in the Aegean Sea, where it is also known by the name "Chios tears").

As to Columbus's transgressions, the nature of a conqueror is to conquer. It is well documented that Greeks provided safe haven to Jews during WW II in escaping Nazis that had invaded various islands in search of Jews. Obviously well after Columbus's existance but if indeed he was a Roman speaking Greek, he may not be the anti Semite some have reported...

The Foundation for the Advancement of Sephardic Studies and Culture writes "One cannot forget the repeated initiatives of the head of the Greek Christian Orthodox Metropolitan See of Thessaloniki, Gennadios, against the deportations, and most of all, the official letter of protest signed in Athens on March 23, 1943, by Archbishop Damaskinos of the Greek Orthodox Church, along with 27 prominent leaders of cultural, academic and professional organizations. The document, written in a very sharp language, refers to unbreakable bonds between Christian Orthodox and Jews, identifying them jointly as Greeks, without differentiation. It is noteworthy that such a document is unique in the whole of occupied Europe, in character, content and purpose".
The 275 Jews of the island of Zakynthos, however, survived the Holocaust. When the island's mayor, Lucas Κarrer (Λουκάς Καρρέρ), was presented with the German order to hand over a list of Jews, Bishop Chrysostomos returned to the amazed Germans with a list of two names; his and the mayor's. Moreover, the Bishop wrote a letter to Hitler himself stating that the Jews of the island were under his supervision. In the meantime the island's population hid every member of the Jewish community. When the island was almost levelled by the great earthquake of 1953, the first relief came from the state of Israel, with a message that read "The Jews of Zakynthos have never forgotten their Mayor or their beloved Bishop and what they did for us."
The Jewish community of Volos, one of the most ancient in Greece, has had fewer losses than any other Jewish community in Greece thanks to the timely and dynamic intervention and mobilization of the massive communist-leftist partizan movement of EAM-ELAS (National Liberation Front (Greece) – Greek People's Liberation Army) and the successful cooperation of the head of the Greek Christian Orthodox Metropolitan See of Demetrias Joachim and the chief rabbi of Volos Moses Pesach for the evacuation of Volos from the Jewish people, after the events in Thessaloniki (displacement of the city's Jews to concentration camps).
Princess Alice of Battenberg and Greece, who was the wife of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and the mother of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and mother-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom stayed in occupied Athens during the Second World War, sheltering Jewish refugees, for which she is recognised as "Righteous Among the Nations" at Yad Vashem. Although the Germans and Bulgarians deported a great number of Greek Jews, others were successfully hidden by their Greek neighbours.
A touching testimony of 82-year-old Simon Danieli, who traveled from Israel to his birthplace in Veria to thank the descendants of the people who helped him and his family escape Nazi persecution during World War II.
Danieli was 13 in 1942 when his family—father Joseph, a grain merchant, mother Buena, and nine siblings—fled Veria to escape the increasingly frequent atrocities committed by Nazi forces against the city’s Jews. They ended up in a small nearby village in Sykies, where the family was taken in by Giorgos and Panayiota Lanara, who offered them shelter, food and a hiding place in the woods, helped also by a priest, Nestoras Karamitsopoulos.

So all I'm saying is that history is up to "interpretation"......:wink2:
Dino,
Thank you for passing along some interesting historical facts, some of which I was not aware of.
There is one bit that I must challenge. To state that because "if indeed he (Christopher Columbus) was a Roman speaking Greek, he may not be the anti Semite some have reported..."
Certainly I can't speak to the beliefs of all Romans, or those that speak Greek, but several years ago the Romans were not so kind the Jews. I remember seeing the Arch of Titus in Rome, with it's depictions of the Roman victory over the Jews in Jerusalem. The (second) Temple was destroyed and the spoils brought back to Rome. They also brought back 20,000 Jewish slaves to build the Coliseum.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Dino,
Thank you for passing along some interesting historical facts, some of which I was not aware of.
There is one bit that I must challenge. To state that because "if indeed he (Christopher Columbus) was a Roman speaking Greek, he may not be the anti Semite some have reported..."
Certainly I can't speak to the beliefs of all Romans, or those that speak Greek, but several years ago the Romans were not so kind the Jews. I remember seeing the Arch of Titus in Rome, with it's depictions of the Roman victory over the Jews in Jerusalem. The (second) Temple was destroyed and the spoils brought back to Rome. They also brought back 20,000 Jewish slaves to build the Coliseum.
I am CERTAIN...that if one wants to delve into ANY nationality, race, creed, religion etc...they will find instances of cruelty/racism and outright inhuman treatment.....Columbus was no worse nor any better than ANY of the explorers of his time, society in general has not grown up from those times, beyond & to the present....
and everyone feels they are on the "right" side of the discussion....
in in the immortal words of Forrest Gump~~"and that's all I've got to say about that":grin2:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Conqueror

As I stated....Conquerors tend to conquer....Conquering tends to be messy business.....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
And Columbus was first and foremost a sailor. Sure he went on to become a governor and all of that rot. Yes he was a product of his time, but when the presiding view was that he was crazy for trying to sail off the edge of the earth, regardless of the illusive facts about the Vikings, Amerigo, and maybe even the Knights Templar. We can even get into "Dan Brown" conspiracy theories and look at the fact that Columbus signed his name or wrote with a "hooked x" the sign of a knight templar. Henry Sinclair and other remaining templars may have sailed to Canada and beyond in the late 1300s early 1400s, ahead of him. And templars were knights of Solomon's temple, a synagogue, not a pantheist temple. The last seat of the ark of the covenant, the holiest of holiest and "the word." Most good Christians, conquerors or not, know it is a theological impossibility for a Christian to be anti-semitic. I would guess that most knights templar understood the same, despite the slander and liable spread about them by a debtor king Philip the Fair (who supressed them), and other jealous "intellectuals" and power hungry men who lusted after their wealth, influence, and prestige. They were the first bankers, so maybe Columbus was at least guilty of that? But the money came from Spain ;) Lets get back to the raffle.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Further perspective

"..... We can even get into "Dan Brown" conspiracy theories and look at the fact that Columbus signed his name or wrote with a "hooked x" the sign of a knight templar. "

The "hooked X" is the Greek letter "Xi" (pronounced He) which is the first letter of his first name Christopher (Xristoforos in Greek).....There are many families in the village of Pirgi Chios with the last name Columbus (Kolumbus).... bringing us full circle to the Chios / Genoa connection and the sailing history of that island.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts