Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is a setting to turn that off. However, you turn that setting off at the risk of other issues. When I turned it off I experienced an issued with the Nav screen not coming on when I started the car and none of the Infortainment controls were responsive until I connected my phone by USB. Once I connected the phone then the media on my phone would automatically play (also another setting on the system) and the Infotainment controls would work again. Seems like a bug in the software.

Reactions: AR_Pete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Old thread, but the bug is still there in MY18 models. I have infotainment version 56.
With that said, I found a way to fix it, hopefully works for others too. I document the whole issue below, in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Problem description: when you turn on the car, radio/MP3 player always starts, even if it was off when you turned off the car.

There are 2 related settings:
1) Settings\System\Auto-on Radio: this fixes the problem, but in an undesireable way: it disables the entire infotainment screen, you'll have a blacked out infotainment display, no radio/media, no nav, no settings, nothing is accessible, except for the hard-wired heating controls. For this reason, the name is totally misleading, as it's not just the Radio.
And you can't even turn on the display with the Menu or Option button. In order to turn on the screen, you have to push the volume knob and keep it down for 2-3 seconds. Took me a while to figure it out.

2) Under Settings\Infotainment\Media there's an Autoplay = On/Off option. This option apparently doesn't do anything. It's not even mentioned in the manual, but I have it in my version of the infotainment software No matter what I chose here, my MP3 music always started.

Now the solution: I was always turning the music on/off with the knob on the center console. IIRC, it worked correctly initially (i.e. remembered on/off state), but at some point the bug appeared (maybe after SW update in the service? i don't know), and the radio/MP3 player always turned on, no matter what.
The solution was to turn off the MP3 player with the little volume button on the steering wheel. If you push on the volume button, it turns off the radio/MP3 player. Once I did that, the bug disappeared and now it functions as it should be, even if I use the volume knob on the center console now.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Old thread, but the bug is still there in MY18 models. I have infotainment version 56.
With that said, I found a way to fix it, hopefully works for others too. I document the whole issue below, in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Problem description: when you turn on the car, radio/MP3 player always starts, even if it was off when you turned off the car.

1) Settings\System\Auto-on Radio: this fixes the problem, but in an undesireable way: it disables the entire infotainment screen, you'll have a blacked out infotainment display, no radio/media, no nav, no settings, nothing is accessible, except for the hard-wired heating controls. For this reason, the name is totally misleading, as it's not just the Radio.
And you can't even turn on the display with the Menu or Option button. In order to turn on the screen, you have to push the volume knob and keep it down for 2-3 seconds. Took me a while to figure it out.

2) Under Settings\Infotainment\Media there's an Autoplay = On/Off option. This option apparently doesn't do anything. It's not even mentioned in the manual, but I have it in my version of the infotainment software No matter what I chose here, my MP3 music always started.

Now the solution: I was always turning the music on/off with the knob on the center console. IIRC, it worked correctly initially (i.e. remembered on/off state), but at some point the bug appeared (maybe after SW update in the service? i don't know), and the radio/MP3 player always turned on, no matter what.
The solution was to turn off the MP3 player with the little volume button on the steering wheel. If you push on the volume button, it turns off the radio/MP3 player. Once I did that, the bug disappeared and now it functions as it should be, even if I use the volume knob on the center console now.
When you push the volume button on the steering wheel it just mutes the sound. But I guess this is what you wanted, right?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
I really don't mind. I'm rarely in the car without news, music, or some other form of entertainment playing. It's not as if the sound is blasting when the car is started.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When you push the volume button on the steering wheel it just mutes the sound. But I guess this is what you wanted, right?
Muting the sound is "radio off" -- same in my BMW. This happens if you use the steering wheel button, or the central console on/off. The entertainment screen continues to show station selection, etc. Truly "OFF" turns off the whole screen and everything else.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,507 Posts
No, that's what I would call muted. If you hold the center console button it turns it off completely, screen off, everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts

So it looks like I didn't test every scenario.... my suggestion actually doesn't fix the problem for good. It worked while I was sitting in the car playing with it. But once I left the car there for several minutes and returned later, it forgot again what state it was in, and radio/MP3 would start automatically again. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not really just a mute, as it also pauses MP3 playback. So functionally, it's equivalent to MP3 player OFF.
The system should have 3 state:
  • everything off, no screen.
  • screen on, radio/media off, e.g. if you want map/navigation or like showing off the nice Alfa logo :) without listening to music
  • screen on, radio/media on.

It looks like the 2nd configuation can be achieved only by manually turning the media off, every time. It can be annoying for people who don't listen to music in the car, but otherwise want to use the display for its other functions.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Not really just a mute, as it also pauses MP3 playback. So functionally, it's equivalent to MP3 player OFF.
  • screen on, radio/media off, e.g. if you want map/navigation or like showing off the nice Alfa logo :) without listening to music
It looks like the 2nd configuation can be achieved only by manually turning the media off, every time. It can be annoying for people who don't listen to music in the car, but otherwise want to use the display for its other functions.
Turn the media volume down to 0? I think volume "sticks".

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you don't want the radio/media to play on start up you can select a media source that you don't use. I have my music on a USB drive. If I select BlueTooth for my media source, when I turn on the Infotainment system, no music/noise... as there is no source to get the data from. I can still use Maps etc. just no sound until I select the radio or USB for a media source.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Turn the media volume down to 0? I think volume "sticks".
I don't know about the volume level, but the mute does not "stick". When I enter the garage at work, I mute the radio because the satellite radio is looses signal. Then when I start the car it is on, but still no signal until I get out of the garage. Then boom, back to whatever volume I had it on before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Radio autoplay is one of the worst "features" ever. At least the Giulia allows you to turn it off. Not all of them do. And why does the amplitude of the stupid radio always have to be about twice what it is from any other source on every recent car I've been in? It doesn't help that I despise the radio, I guess!

·
Registered
1 Posts

This is exactly the solution feature that I am looking for, but they still don't have it implemented yet on my 2021 Giulia... Sad AF

1 - 17 of 17 Posts