Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, AR Gang...

Taking my Quad for the WannaGoFast Dallas 1/2 mile racing event on Saturday. They put two cars side-by-side and let them run 1/2 mile straight against each other and the clock.

I'm looking for last best tips to get every possible MPH from my 1/2 mile run. Worried about a good start. If I get in there against any AWD cars, I know the start is critical.

My plan is to start the race in Dynamic mode, then as soon as I get clear of any suspected tire spin (2 seconds in?) then switch immediately to Race Mode.

Transmission - should I keep in in Manual Shift mode and risk getting to the "red line fuel shutdown" problem, or just let the auto shifter do the deal in Race mode?

Going to have tires at factory PSI - any suggestions there? Should I try to warm them up with some burn out right before the run? Temps will be in the 50F-62F range for my runs and dry.

I'm going to remove everything possible from the car to keep the weight as low as possible.

Gas tank full? I have seen that as a suggestion, but do I want the extra weight? I'll only get 3 runs probably in 8 hours, but will probably be idling a LOT.

Anything critical I forgot? Or need to bring?

Thanks in advance for the awesome advice I'm about to receive!!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Race gas then...

I'd run in Race mode. What are the temperatures where you are located? Will they let you warm the tires with a small burnout?

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
My plan is to start the race in Dynamic mode, then as soon as I get clear of any suspected tire spin (2 seconds in?) then switch immediately to Race Mode.
Honestly I would just start in RACE mode and manage the throttle to avoid wheelspin. Changing modes during a run seems like an un-needed distraction.

Have fun and stay safe!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
-Race Mode
-Let the Car do the shifting
-Remove everything from the car that could be a distraction
-Bring Mirrors in as well (seems silly but give it a try). Also manage tire pressures. Start at 5 under normal pressure (cold) and then see what they are after a few burnouts and a run. You will find your self hitting a wall and once you do just let the car rest and call it a day.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Race gas then...
I'd run in Race mode. What are the temperatures where you are located? Will they let you warm the tires with a small burnout?
I asked about "race gas" a few months ago, and was told that since the car is not tuned to utilize the higher octane, it would be a waste of money. Research on my own seemed to confirm that, so, cash remaining in the wallet!! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good look with your race! Sounds great fun, would love to see some pictures or videos

Yeah i think anything above 98 Octane would be a waste unless it's tuned.

1 more suggestion which i'm not certain on would be to put the shocks in there softest setting at launch. I'm sure someone else can chime in on this one.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Is there a similar surface available on which you can practice launching?

·
Registered
617 Posts
i agree w/ all that has been said thus far. I like dropping the tire pressure by 5psi over cold recommended as it will help create more compliance during launch. it is not so much to affect the car as you look to close in on vmax. I am curios how close to vmax you will get?

I agree that race gas is not needed but clearly the highest octane oxygenated pump gas is a no brainer...you do this already.

yes race mode from the start.

yes soften the suspension setting.

try the first run w/ manual shifting..the second run w/ auto...the last w/ manual again. let's hear your impressions.

I would have no more than a half tank of fuel...split the baby between the weight advantage vs. the traction advantage.

regarding engine temp, get the car warmed up and lubed in advance of your run and then try to keep it shut down for as long as you are able pre-run. if you could gain access to the intercoolers you would have ice bags sitting atop of them but alas...you cannot so keep the car quiet and cool before the run.

I am pretty sure there will be members to chime in on how to launch the qv in the ambients you cite. the launch is the most important element as it will weigh in heavily down the road. those tires will need some heat in them certainly and then I'm not sure I would be too concerned w/ throttle modulation...let her eat and enjoy the hair fully on fire:)

keep your records so that after you get the eurocompulsion tune, you can compare your real world performance increases:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Might reconsider burn-outs on street tires. All indication is that they don't heat up like drag tires.

I've always heard that for street tires to not do much burn-out; just a quickie to clean them off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might reconsider burn-outs on street tires. All indication is that they don't heat up like drag tires. I've always heard that for street tires to not do much burn-out; just a quickie to clean them off.
I'm running Michelin PS4S, so I should be OK with grip. Thanks for the tip...>:)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Whatever you do, make sure you catch it all on video!

Enjoy and good luck!

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Have Fun!

Probably don't need to say that -- But, just in case: Be safe and have fun!!

Can't wait to hear all about it.

Oh, yeah, put this on your dashboard for luck:

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Story of Race Day:

Lots of fun. Far more runs that I expected. There are 150 drivers per day, but not all of them lined up to race at the same time, which is what I had expected. At the end, in the afternoon, there were only about 15 die-hards still going. I actually left 2 hours before it ended - I will elaborate.

Here were my times, in order:

145.0677 (lost to a heavily modified yellow Mustang GT who was clobbering almost everyone, by about 10-15 lengths)
144.4159 (beat a 1000+ HP Corvette which had some kind of engine problem shortly after the start)
143.1753 (lost to another 1000+ HP Corvette by about 20 lengths)
143.4949 (lost to a stock Corvette by about 5 lengths - he ran a 153)
144.7876 (clobbered a 2010 CTS-V (580 HP stock) who had a problem with his manual shifting - he let the red-line fuel shutoff get him)
145.2081 (raced the same 2010 CTS-V again, and he got a great start and had me for the 1/4, but I caught him and won by about 10 lengths)
145.3019 (raced the same CTS-V a 3rd time, and I got a great start and beat him by about 12 lengths)
142.1801 (beat a BMW i8 pretty convincingly - I got a good start and he never challenged)
148.0263 (BEST TIME OF THE DAY! Raced a 200x era Corvette, looked stock, and he never challenged me)
144.9742 (bought 5 gallons of gas before this race, weighted myself down :( Beat an Audi S8)
140.0560 (lost my closest race of the day!! Camaro SS with some mods, butI got a great start and had him the WHOLE RACE except for the last 30 yards, where he nipped me at the end!! I saw him coming, with his Big Ole V-8 chugging away!! Couldn't hold him off!!)
139.8384 (lost to a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Track Hawk! That beast with AWD gets off the line like a mutha and I never challenged him. In fact, he jumped the green light by about 1/4 second - lost by about 10-12 lengths)

So My average run was a win, running at 143.8772 That was right in the range I expected to be. I left early because my times were getting slower and I did not know why, so I wanted to give the engine a rest after all the WOT all day long!!

The fastest time I saw personally on the results board was one of the sponsor cars that ran a 215.83, but I did not see which car because I was in the back of the line and could only see the results display. There was a 1500+HP GT-R there and I know he ran a 211.xx There were McLaren 720s/650s, many Lambos, a 2000 era Ford GT, Vipers from all eras, TONS of Corvettes, TONS of Camaros and HellCats, Lots of Porsches, Lots of CTS-Vs, and a sprinkling of BMWs. There was one M3 that was heavily modified and won a lot of races against some big boys - I talked to him and he was running 167-169. There was a 2019 BMW M5 and at least one MB AMG 63s. There was a Viper which went airborne in the front and rolled a couple of times into the grass at the end of the run, car was pretty mangled, but the driver walked away.

So my strategy most of the day was to start in D mode, then switch to Race mode about 2-3 seconds in to avoid spinning at start. That worked well - I was only behind at the quarter mile mark for 3 of the 12 races.

Toward the end, I started doing the "launch mode" trick to good effect - holding the brake and revving RPMs up to about 2K before the green light. I was worried about doing TOO much of that and getting a check engine light, so I used that only sparingly!!

All in all, a hugely fun day of racing, and I want to do another one! #Hooked

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@larrysing Well Done!
did you notice any power loss due to heat soak?? or did she run strong all day??
I bet that was the problem at the end!! I let the engine sit with the hood up between my last and second-last race, and I bet that's why my final run was so slow!! I did not even consider that before but I bet I did suffer from that effect!

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
So are these "times" miles per hour at the finish line? I'm not familiar with 1/2 mile runs. Sounds like it was a lot of fun, I'll have to keep an eye out for a similar event near me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So are these "times" miles per hour at the finish line? I'm not familiar with 1/2 mile runs. Sounds like it was a lot of fun, I'll have to keep an eye out for a similar event near me.
Yes, MPH at the end of the 1/2 mile, correct.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts