Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all

Now we are finally approved for our garage I can start thinking of what i'm putting in it. I will have a 24x26 with full floor plan (the rear will give access to the upper floor to maximize space). I'll be putting a lift in too but at this point not planning on a drain.

Looking at Racedeck for the flooring as I love the look. Wondering what peoples experience is with it? Looking in particular at the 'freeflow'. The garage will be used for light wrenching inc. oil changes and storage of a jet ski, tires etc.

With all of that in mind a few questions:

1. As mine will 100% used in winter and I live in a snowy place is it worth epoxying the floor before Racedeck as thinking wet/salt/crap might be easier to clean when it seeps through? Not sure if it's good for the base to be exposed to that?
2. Does anyone have a lift and freeflow? Any lessons learned?
3. Would an mobile oil drum to catch used oil have any problem scooting over it?

Would like to hear your experiences good and bad

cheers!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've had Racedeck Diamond installed in my garage for a few years to cover a 40-year old concrete floor in terrible condition from oil and paint spills, etc. So bad that I was quoted over $5000 to mill and epoxy coat. Racedeck is a great product; easy to install and clean. Since you're starting with a new floor epoxy would be a good idea to protect from the salt. Sorry i can't provide any insight on the lift and rolling property of the Freeflow. Will try to attach pic of my floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wouldn't use the freeflow indoors. You have to put an fabric underlayment down first, otherwise when you walk on the tiles, they make a "clackety-clack" sound with every step if installed directly atop the slab. If that fabric underlayment absorbs water and oil drippings, its going to be a smelly moldy mess after a while with no way to clean it. Put in solid tiles, and keep a swiffer wet in the garage for quick floor cleanups. That's how I have mine installed.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I liked it. Expensive.

Easy to install. Be sure to draw up your design first. Limit the colors on cut edges if you can.

If you do anything with hot work, welding, grinding, move on. It melts...trust me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks all that's really useful info!

I think I will go diamond as in retrospect Megadeth's look is exactly what I'm going for (even with the curb). I thought at least the parking area would be good with Freeflow and sides with diamond so any snow/water could go through but I think i'm causing more problems than solving. I think with the diamond too like qs suggested... I won't have to epoxy.. could save that for later if at all.

New question.. with the diamond how slippy does it get when wet? Am I going to have to be on it with a mop?

Megad - would you mind sharing how much all that was? I've been on their website a few times but yet to submit a quote.

·
Registered
93 Posts
how does it address uneven concrete floors? does it buckle in those areas or are their adjustments for low and high spots?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I haven't found the diamond to be slippery when wet. That was my main concern before I installed it. My floor had several wavy sections, but the Racedeck has covered them and hasn't buckled, but you can feel it flex as you walk. One thing to note is that it takes a little getting used to the sound when walking; it's just different than walking on hard concrete. My 22x25 garage cost $2100 in delivered material, but that was in 2012. I'm guessing tile cost has gone up since then.

·
Super Moderator
1,024 Posts
Glad the approvals went through! More space = more toys! Let the fun begin!

You breaking ground shortly?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I never found it slippery when wet...oil is another subject. Since the concrete will absorb oil no issues but on the Racedeck you'll bust your ass.

I got some overflow from my father (maybe 40 squares) but including spares (you want spares) and excess (just for installation issues) probably $1300-$1700 (did it a few years ago).

As far as bucking over uneven ground I never had any.

In Texas or anywhere it's hot BE SURE TO LEAVE A GAP (half an inch at least) on the cut edges that abut the wall! The stuff expands a lot due to the Sun and it will pop-up! If your walls are uneven the cuts get hard - so if you limit the colors on the cuts you need less excess.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't found the diamond to be slippery when wet. That was my main concern before I installed it. My floor had several wavy sections, but the Racedeck has covered them and hasn't buckled, but you can feel it flex as you walk. One thing to note is that it takes a little getting used to the sound when walking; it's just different than walking on hard concrete. My 22x25 garage cost $2100 in delivered material, but that was in 2012. I'm guessing tile cost has gone up since then.
Excellent info! Thanks. Yeah I figure i'll be paying around 2.5 ish for a 24x26. That's great it's not slippery, that was my main concern with Diamond.. cool now I just have to plan it out :)

Glad the approvals went through! More space = more toys! Let the fun begin!

You breaking ground shortly?
**** right.. way too long to wait. First was a waste of time builder who couldn't be bothered to deal with the town and kept going silent on us so we ditched him and went out to another after an extensive interview process and after dealing with the town for months (we are on a non-conforming lot) we were shocked when we got approved! We are now going through the surveyor process and getting the permit but hope to be done by summer if all goes well.

As for more toys.. 100% Hopefully i'll have some budget left over so can start planning for said toy as Limerock is calling again :)

I never found it slippery when wet...oil is another subject. Since the concrete will absorb oil no issues but on the Racedeck you'll bust your ass. In Texas or anywhere it's hot BE SURE TO LEAVE A GAP (half an inch at least) on the cut edges that abut the wall! The stuff expands a lot due to the Sun and it will pop-up! If your walls are uneven the cuts get hard - so if you limit the colors on the cuts you need less excess.
Oil is understandable. I'd clean that up right away regardless so sounds that's the way to go. We don't get Texas heat but can be pretty toasty in summer so i'll aim to install and trim if needed.. read it's pretty easy to size down

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yeah it'll cut with a miter saw pretty easy. The plastic will mess up your blade though after a while (plastic melts and gets everywhere!). I cannot remember what type of blade I used but I remember it mattering....In the end I think I used a fiber/abrasive blade. Hmmm.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thx i'll do some reading on best ways to cut, got an array of blades I use for metal cutting etc for my brewing (important) ;) Gotta get the **** thing built, openers ordered, insulated, select a lift.. i'll be busy :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would call them, the installation instructions on the website have changed - they no longer mention using the fabric underlayment, you should speak to a tech there and ask them why. I used it on mine, installed it 10 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks I 100% will... Really just trying to get the steps in my head at this point like once garage is built.. what's next? Plenty of time but always like to have a plan. I would have thought you'd need something like fabric/rubber mats to stop it moving but the videos I've watched on youtube are consistent with having nothing...People usually just drag out out and clean but not seeing anyone with anything under it at this point.

Guess it butts up so doesn't move. Last thing I want.. is to be pulling out the garage and have the momentum to cause it to slide about :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
I didn't have the porous stuff but I had no underlayment. Just floating. If the area is too small it'll move. But in a normal 2 car garage I never had issues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts