Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at stop light and bmw 335i pulled up. I new he wanted to run from his look. I got maxpowe ECM, V2 intake, axle back exhaust and go pedal. From launch it was pretty even 2nd gear I got maybe fender on him 3rd gear I was about half car a head 4th he couldn't gain and backed off. I believe he had muffler delete since it was louder than stock not sure what other mods he was running if any. He backed off and never caught up so I wasn't able to ask him. I think he was embarrassed lol. I had also raced 340 before and they are faster from launch for sure. I just can't seem to keep up with 340 from launch but 2nd and 3rd gear we are pretty even. I noticed 1st gear lags and I have to apply the brakes and bring my revs to about 2k then let go of the brakes and shift really fast to 2nd and that gives me the fastest launch and gets rid of the 1st gear lag. I figured I'm running the quarter mile around the mid 13 seconds with my mods. It's been really hot here in L.A so that's not helping. Overall I'm very satisfied and can't wait to get p2 tune, downpipe and whatever else it will include.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
I was at stop light and bmw 335i pulled up. I new he wanted to run from his look. I got maxpowe ECM, V2 intake, axle back exhaust and go pedal. From launch it was pretty even 2nd gear I got maybe fender on him 3rd gear I was about half car a head 4th he couldn't gain and backed off. I believe he had muffler delete since it was louder than stock not sure what other mods he was running if any. He backed off and never caught up so I wasn't able to ask him. I think he was embarrassed lol. I had also raced 340 before and they are faster from launch for sure. I just can't seem to keep up with 340 from launch but 2nd and 3rd gear we are pretty even. I noticed 1st gear lags and I have to apply the brakes and bring my revs to about 2k then let go of the brakes and shift really fast to 2nd and that gives me the fastest launch and gets rid of the 1st gear lag. I figured I'm running the quarter mile around the mid 13 seconds with my mods. It's been really hot here in L.A so that's not helping. Overall I'm very satisfied and can't wait to get p2 tune, downpipe and whatever else it will include.

Nice list of mods. If you have the V2 I will go to a full Catback exhaust and remove the axle back. There is a flattened section in the exhaust piping on the stock 2.5 exhaust which hampers the performance and alleviated with an aftermarket exhaust.

If its an older 335i it came with the inline-6 and 300 ponies and the current 330i is a 4 cylinder 248 hp car... The Giulia should take it.

The current model 340 with its inline-6 and 320 hp is a fast sedan that's for sure and if you were able to keep up with it, that's impressive.

Pressing the brake and holding the RPMs to 2 to 2.5k is the right way to launch the Giulia so you're doing it right.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice list of mods. If you have the V2 I will go to a full Catback exhaust and remove the axle back. There is a flattened section in the exhaust piping on the stock 2.5 exhaust which hampers the performance and alleviated with an aftermarket exhaust.

If its an older 335i it came with a V6 and 300 ponies and the current 330i is a 4 cylinder 248 hp car... The Giulia should take it.

The current model 340 with its V6 and 320 hp is a fast sedan that's for sure and if you were able to keep up with it, that's impressive.

Pressing the brake and holding the RPMs to 2 to 2.5k is the right way to launch the Giulia so you're doing it right.

Good hunting!
Yes it was turbo 6. I had custom exhaust and I removed the flattened rear section with 3inch piping instead. Once I get the p2 tune and downpipe I'm going to do custom 3inch exhaust from the downpipe all the way back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Funny, I was going to post the same! My coworker has a 335i with stage 1 tune said it bring his hp and torque to around 350...I have the tdi box and the max ver2 go pedal...according to tdi my car should have about 345hp and 340 torque...we started at 80mph and he pulled about 4 car lengths on me ?. Where he said he hit about 125mph I was at about 107mph...I asked him to go again and if we could start at 60 or 65mph instead...what do you guys think? The car does feel like it's not pulling much after about 95mph I would say. I was surprised because apparently are cars are about the same weight and our upgrades make our cars have similar numbers and I don't mind losing but not by that much! Haha

·
Registered
23 Posts

Have you tried launching in 2nd gear?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Love sticking it to the BMW boys. I even hang with the M2 crowd. Hillarious.

make sure your auto start is off though. That is always a bummer. turn the go pedal to sport plus 3. makes that car quick as you know what off the line.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just had lunch with a cousin of mine who drives a 335i convertible with an inline 6 and we had a fun little jaunt on the way home (he lives on the same side of town). We were next to each other on the freeway cruising around 70mph and as we hit some clear road I did a three-second countdown and we gassed it up to around 100mph. I was in N mode and didn't even totally floor it but once I hit 95mph I started passing him then we slowed down due to some traffic. His 335i is also 4,000lbs so a good 450lbs or so heavier.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just had lunch with a cousin of mine who drives a 335i convertible with an inline 6 and we had a fun little jaunt on the way home (he lives on the same side of town). We were next to each other on the freeway cruising around 70mph and as we hit some clear road I did a three-second countdown and we gassed it up to around 100mph. I was in N mode and didn't even totally floor it but once I hit 95mph I started passing him then we slowed down due to some traffic. His 335i is also 4,000lbs so a good 450lbs or so heavier.[/QUOTE/]

A Quad vs a 335 is Goliath against David....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Just had lunch with a cousin of mine who drives a 335i convertible with an inline 6 and we had a fun little jaunt on the way home (he lives on the same side of town). We were next to each other on the freeway cruising around 70mph and as we hit some clear road I did a three-second countdown and we gassed it up to around 100mph. I was in N mode and didn't even totally floor it but once I hit 95mph I started passing him then we slowed down due to some traffic. His 335i is also 4,000lbs so a good 450lbs or so heavier.[/QUOTE/]

A Quad vs a 335 is Goliath against David....

I agree. But I "merely" have a Ti Sport Q4, not a Quadrifoglio my friend. If I had a Quad I'd laugh at him for challenging me.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Oh....because of your "Moniker" I thought you had a QVerde.... :wink2:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It's too bad the Giulia is not available in "Visconte Verde" ....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good stories in this thread.
My first Alfa was a Giulietta Spider bought in 1965, as a daily driver. In 1968 I bought a new Giula Super, because there were no used ones around.

The last one was a 79 Alfetta Sports Sedan bought in 1980. Then I had it turbocharged and with Euro bumpers it went well. It was a hit and run in a commerical alley that did it in. That was in 1998.
For a decade now my DD has been a 2008 BMW 535 xi Touring Wagon. Dinan Stage 2 moves the HP from 300 to 375 and Torque goes from 300 to 415.
Handling is a good compromise between comfort and performance. But I think it is "stately".
Maybe it is time to buy a new Giulia.
As in every fifty years.
:)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dont get me wrong I love BMW's. Had E36 M3. E90 and few E30s. Having owned Alfa spider and my giulia its just different driving experience with Italian cars.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Cool dude, dont kill anyone. V6? No BMW ever has had a V6. Sorry man.
Beg to differ :) I had 2 BMWs which had V6 engines.
2011 BMW 335d, 3.0 liter diesel engine.
425 ft-lb of torque, would nail you to your seat, and still ger 32+MPG on the freeway, sometimes as high as 36mpg. Was a nice car, but I traded it for a QV :)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Beg to differ :) I had 2 BMWs which had V6 engines.
2011 BMW 335d, 3.0 liter diesel engine.
425 ft-lb of torque, would nail you to your seat, and still ger 32+MPG on the freeway, sometimes as high as 36mpg. Was a nice car, but I traded it for a QV :)
You and @aenima396 are both right, and wrong. BMW has not produced production cars with V6 engines (including the straight 6 in your 335d), but they have developed V6 engines for testing, see link.
https://jalopnik.com/did-you-know-bmw-builds-v6-engines-all-the-time-1633734035

·
Registered
121 Posts
I road tested a new 3 series BMW before getting the Alfa. zzzzzzzzzzzzz....sorry I dozed off. It was like driving a Camry.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You and @aenima396 are both right, and wrong. BMW has not produced production cars with V6 engines (including the straight 6 in your 335d), but they have developed V6 engines for testing, see link.
https://jalopnik.com/did-you-know-bmw-builds-v6-engines-all-the-time-1633734035
Are we REALLY going to get into the semantics of "V6 vs straight six" and if BMW developed it or not? :wink2:

It was in a BMW which they manufactured & sold, so basically there have been BMW-badged & manufactured cars with 6-cylinder engines. :laugh:

It was a good engine too. If not for all the stupid exhaust-scrubbing B.S. required by the stupid EPA, I would still be driving mine. That's the only thing that ever broke on that car.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts