Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Thats why they invented straight level lightly-used roads, stop watches, electronic timers, and drag strips.
I can't wait to get some laps in at Inde Motorsports Ranch. Figure I'll do a day with no modifications, then a day with the Stradale exhaust, then a day with that and the EC tune. It'll be fun to compare lap times...

:grin2:

·
Vendor
619 Posts
We have full support for the 2.0L vehicles thru 2019. Piggyback units will only go so far due to tight software limiters.

2017-2019+ - Alfa Romeo Giulia/Stelvio 2.9L Quadrifoglio Models- DIRECT FLASH TUNING AVAILABLE

2017-2019+ - Alfa Romeo Giulia/Stelvio 2.0L Models- OBD2 TUNING SUPPORTED

As far as discovery, yes and no. It will change the flash count BUT to date we have not had a vehicle denied service or warranty work.

Our calibrations are fairly conservative as far as what these engines/drive-trains can produce. We do not put these cars on the ragged edge.

We can, but it doesn't benefit anyone.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If I were making performance parts, I would rely on real world on-the-road performance tests both in the development process and to communicate the effectiveness of the product to potential buyers. Utilizing a dyno and other tests such as air flow measurements are excellent development tools, but do not measure on the road performance.

The link below is to a YouTube video that demonstrates how to measure the real world performance impact of putting lighter wider wheels and tires on a Tesla Model 3. The new wider wheels and tires are each 9.2 lbs. lighter (!) than stock. The reduced mass and diameter of the wheels (reduced inertia) should make a difference on the 0 to 60 times of the 4 wheel drive Tesla.

https://youtu.be/dpDGINL3kps

There was a consistent measurable improvement and the narrator is pleased with what he calls a "solid result".

Four runs of the stock Tesla produced four identical times of 3.2 seconds, with one additional run of 3.17 seconds.

With the new wheels and tires, he achieved four identical runs of 3.12 seconds.

This apparently reliable improvement of 0.08 seconds would be noticeable on a race track. I leave it to each of you to decide if the cost of the squeeze is worth the juice.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Our calibrations are fairly conservative as far as what these engines/drive-trains can produce. We do not put these cars on the ragged edge.

We can, but it doesn't benefit anyone.
hi, so... um... if someone wanted their car put on "the ragged edge"... would you guys be willing to do custom maps?
...I'm not really an OTS type of guy.

conservative is always too conservative for me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
hi, so... um... if someone wanted their car put on "the ragged edge"... would you guys be willing to do custom maps?
...I'm not really an OTS type of guy.

conservative is always too conservative for me.
Well, that's what Phase 2 will be for >:)

But yes, we can do custom mapping. Many of the OTS maps are already customized depending on modifications, but we can go further.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, that's what Phase 2 will be for >:)

But yes, we can do custom mapping. Many of the OTS maps are already customized depending on modifications, but we can go further.
wow... right when I'm beginning to lose faith, you hit me with a response like that.
good stuff.

please please please just let me live to see it.
anticipation is literally eating me alive.

seriously. can you let us know how you're doing on time?
...it might just convince some of the guys on this thread to go for ec instead :wink2:

Reactions: stocki

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I am probably going all out for the GTS model. I have watched some videos and read reviews on these on other platforms for a while and they seem very common & popular over seas.
Did you ever pick one up?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Seletron has a piggyback chipbox for the qv that is legit. It’s been out over a year and seletron has been piggybacking abarth 500 for years with great results. You can just go to abarth forums and read the good reviews. I have the seletron chipbox for my quad and it works. It def works. My Alfa mechanic who is also a friend tested turbo pressure at 32.2 in race mode. He said normal quad run about 26-28lbs in race mode so it works. I also have the madness BT go pedal. My mechanic recommended both products to me instead of an ecu rewrite or swap. He said don’t waste money on an intake for quad yet since there are no real aftermarket ones that are a big difference than factory unless they customize it. He said that a piggyback and go pedal do basically what an ecu tune will do in a quad. Boost fuel pressure and reduce turbo lag. The BT version go pedal allows you to adjust the settings. Not sure an ecu tune has that Bluetooth feature. These units are Simple and reversible if need be, you won’t have to do anything like re programming or sending ecu units back for any car updates. I would only get full ecu swap in a quad after Alfa works out all updates. 2-3 years minimum. I’m only speaking from quad standpoint and a TI is different story since you can go in OBD2 ports etc. Of course both permanent and piggyback options have their advantages and disadvantages.
I just ordered the Seletron with Remote. AS far a piggyback tune options, i chose them simply because it is made in Italy (same reason i chose the Ragazzon exhaust and Athena spacers).

Given that this car is a lease, this seems to be the best way to hide ECU tune until after the lease is up to ensure i'm 100% covered by warranty for any issues. I know that it has been said that no one with an EC tune has yet been denied coverage, but then again i'm not sure anyone with the tune has had any major problems that FCA would try to get out of covering. If the car holds up, i might just purchase the car at the end of the lease. At that point i will switch to the EC tune.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just ordered the Seletron with Remote. AS far a piggyback tune options, i chose them simply because it is made in Italy (same reason i chose the Ragazzon exhaust and Athena spacers).

Given that this car is a lease, this seems to be the best way to hide ECU tune until after the lease is up to ensure i'm 100% covered by warranty for any issues. I know that it has been said that no one with an EC tune has yet been denied coverage, but then again i'm not sure anyone with the tune has had any major problems that FCA would try to get out of covering. If the car holds up, i might just purchase the car at the end of the lease. At that point i will switch to the EC tune.

I haven't gotten it yet. it is on my wish list for next month. And this is exactly why i want to try this because of lease warranty purposes as well. If i buy the car after the lease i will then get a EC tune as well.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts

I haven't gotten it yet. it is on my wish list for next month. And this is exactly why i want to try this because of lease warranty purposes as well. If i buy the car after the lease i will then get a EC tune as well.
It’s worth it. You will be very happy with the results. The cars power is greatly improved. I would say it’s not an easy install though. You’re gonna need about 1-2 hours to do it properly and zip tie all wires and boxes. You will need the clip tool for engine cover. That’s a must. I’ll post a pic of where I positioned boxes if it ever stops raining. There is not a lot of room inside that engine...I never take it off on dealer trips since my mechanic is the one who recommended it and They have a bypass insert if you need an update so no disconnecting it every dealer trip. Well worth it.

I would also say that EC has lowered the cost for a clone down to $1799. That’s a great deal and worth considering...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It’s worth it. You will be very happy with the results. The cars power is greatly improved. I would say it’s not an easy install though. You’re gonna need about 1-2 hours to do it properly and zip tie all wires and boxes. You will need the clip tool for engine cover. That’s a must. I’ll post a pic of where I positioned boxes if it ever stops raining. There is not a lot of room inside that engine...I never take it off on dealer trips since my mechanic is the one who recommended it and They have a bypass insert if you need an update so no disconnecting it every dealer trip. Well worth it.

I would also say that EC has lowered the cost for a clone down to $1799. That’s a great deal and worth considering...
I don’t have the QV so installation should be much simpler. I am interested in the clip tool that you are referring to though, so please link where I can get one.

One thing I noticed between the Seletron box and others is that aside from the boost and manifold sensors, it has sensors for the coil and turbo as well. Not sure what all of those do, but intuitively more sensor controls seems better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a race chip gts for my 2017 guilia ti and it works good but i like the eurocompulsion euro drive flash better. i would be willing to sell the race chip if anyone wants to try it

·
Registered
6 Posts
i installed the racechip gts in my 2017 guilia ti and used it for a few weeks and it did make an improvement in the performance of the car. The increase in power was obvious to me.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts