Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about this piggyback ECU tune? If what I read on another thread is true that February 2018 builds and newer have a firewall on the OBD2 port that would not allow the EC Tune, then piggyback may be the only option for some. Aside from Madness, wondering what our other options. are.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had been in contact with RaceChip for a while on when they was going to release this for a Giulia. Since they emailed me weeks back and let me know they now have this i am ordering it soon.
I like the Madness idea and all but i need to see actual Numbers and not Guesstimates.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If what I read on another thread is true that February 2018 builds and newer have a firewall on the OBD2 port that would not allow the EC Tune
I don't want to derail your RaceChip discussion, but where did you read this?

That's not true at all.

The only hold up on any tuning for the Giulia in regards to Euro+Drive is when Alfa releases a new software version. I must have a full version of the original file before I can create tune files for customers. But I've not experienced any issues flashing cars with a build date newer than Feb. 2018.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just saw Burger has a JB4 out for our cars now too. I am not sure about Racechip but BMW guys all swear on these.

http://burgertuning.com/alfa_romeo_JB4_bmw_performance_tuner.html
I’m probably going to go with this. Claimed +50hp on a stock car so with bolt ons it should be getting similar numbers as EC (even within 10hp would be close enough - EC claims 73hp on a car with V2 + Catback). For $479 this beats EC’s ridiculous relicensing fee ($549) and beats their $1200 price for a new unit by far. Plus this gives me control with my phone, which I’m not sure if EC does.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want to derail your RaceChip discussion, but where did you read this?

That's not true at all.

The only hold up on any tuning for the Giulia in regards to Euro+Drive is when Alfa releases a new software version. I must have a full version of the original file before I can create tune files for customers. But I've not experienced any issues flashing cars with a build date newer than Feb. 2018.
It was in this thread:

https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/481-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio/41238-obdii.html#post703946

Glad it's NOT true because EC is my first choice!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had been in contact with RaceChip for a while on when they was going to release this for a Giulia. Since they emailed me weeks back and let me know they now have this i am ordering it soon.
I like the Madness idea and all but i need to see actual Numbers and not Guesstimates.
Which model are you gonna get? Very curious to see the results! This was gonna be my second choice next to the EC tune as i was led to believe that my 4/2018 build might have a firewall in the OBDII port preventing a flash. To me, the EC tune just has a simpler installation/stock reversion process. More importantly, I also like the idea that it is thoroughly tested for this specific vehicle. And while controlling different modes via a phone app is cool, it's not as practical as using the DNA selector. Still, I think it's good to have quality options.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks! So far, this does not affect our ability to reprogram the ECU (granted, it must be done with our tools). This blocks standard OBD2 module access (outside of the engine management system).

I believe it may have more to do with certain aftermarket groups developing TCS/ABS defeat dongles that work through the OBD2 port. Alfa does not like people disabling the traction control for any reason.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! So far, this does not affect our ability to reprogram the ECU (granted, it must be done with our tools). This blocks standard OBD2 module access (outside of the engine management system).

I believe it may have more to do with certain aftermarket groups developing TCS/ABS defeat dongles that work through the OBD2 port. Alfa does not like people disabling the traction control for any reason.
Is it true that Dealers can see when an ECU has been flashed

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a JB4 on my MK7 GTI. It was a great product that was very good value for money. Bought for 500, drove for 18 months, sold for 325. It added considerable power to that platform, though it was easy to feel the competing brains in the drivetrain, which notably degraded power linearity. I'm sure the EC tune is a far superior product, for those that can afford it.

Given my leasing situation, I will almost definitely pick one of these up.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Seletron has a piggyback chipbox for the qv that is legit. It’s been out over a year and seletron has been piggybacking abarth 500 for years with great results. You can just go to abarth forums and read the good reviews. I have the seletron chipbox for my quad and it works. It def works. My Alfa mechanic who is also a friend tested turbo pressure at 32.2 in race mode. He said normal quad run about 26-28lbs in race mode so it works. I also have the madness BT go pedal. My mechanic recommended both products to me instead of an ecu rewrite or swap. He said don’t waste money on an intake for quad yet since there are no real aftermarket ones that are a big difference than factory unless they customize it. He said that a piggyback and go pedal do basically what an ecu tune will do in a quad. Boost fuel pressure and reduce turbo lag. The BT version go pedal allows you to adjust the settings. Not sure an ecu tune has that Bluetooth feature. These units are Simple and reversible if need be, you won’t have to do anything like re programming or sending ecu units back for any car updates. I would only get full ecu swap in a quad after Alfa works out all updates. 2-3 years minimum. I’m only speaking from quad standpoint and a TI is different story since you can go in OBD2 ports etc. Of course both permanent and piggyback options have their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
876 Posts
i would never put a JB4 in my car.. ever.. My good friend had a stage 1 JB on his F80 M3, it was messing up the Dash and cluster would just stop working until you restart the car, well then he bought a stage 2 jb4 which ended up blowing up the engine lol (might be just his luck and notorious crank hub bolt Issue) where it gets lose if the car has more than 500tq lol, but yeah... Big No No for JB4

·
Registered
144 Posts
i would never put a JB4 in my car.. ever.. My good friend had a stage 1 JB on his F80 M3, it was messing up the Dash and cluster would just stop working until you restart the car, well then he bought a stage 2 jb4 which ended up blowing up the engine lol (might be just his luck and notorious crank hub bolt Issue) where it gets lose if the car has more than 500tq lol, but yeah... Big No No for JB4
I've had many friends in the E9x world (where I come from) and f-series world with good results and no problems. Also, many of the S55's with reported crank hub failure have other tunes (including dyno tunes) than the JB4. Don't knock it til you try it I guess. I'll report to this forum when I get it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Still i would only trust Eurocompulion or madness, just because they are dedicated alfa tuners.. jb4 isnt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Which model are you gonna get? Very curious to see the results! This was gonna be my second choice next to the EC tune as i was led to believe that my 4/2018 build might have a firewall in the OBDII port preventing a flash. To me, the EC tune just has a simpler installation/stock reversion process. More importantly, I also like the idea that it is thoroughly tested for this specific vehicle. And while controlling different modes via a phone app is cool, it's not as practical as using the DNA selector. Still, I think it's good to have quality options.

I am probably going all out for the GTS model. I have watched some videos and read reviews on these on other platforms for a while and they seem very common & popular over seas.

·
Registered
449 Posts
This part of the comment, “though it was easy to feel the competing brains in the drivetrain, which notably degraded power linearity”, is why I probably will wait until I can spend for the EC tune!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Seletron has a piggyback chipbox for the qv that is legit. It’s been out over a year and seletron has been piggybacking abarth 500 for years with great results. You can just go to abarth forums and read the good reviews. I have the seletron chipbox for my quad and it works. It def works. My Alfa mechanic who is also a friend tested turbo pressure at 32.2 in race mode. He said normal quad run about 26-28lbs in race mode so it works. I also have the madness BT go pedal. My mechanic recommended both products to me instead of an ecu rewrite or swap. He said don’t waste money on an intake for quad yet since there are no real aftermarket ones that are a big difference than factory unless they customize it. He said that a piggyback and go pedal do basically what an ecu tune will do in a quad. Boost fuel pressure and reduce turbo lag. The BT version go pedal allows you to adjust the settings. Not sure an ecu tune has that Bluetooth feature. These units are Simple and reversible if need be, you won’t have to do anything like re programming or sending ecu units back for any car updates. I would only get full ecu swap in a quad after Alfa works out all updates. 2-3 years minimum. I’m only speaking from quad standpoint and a TI is different story since you can go in OBD2 ports etc. Of course both permanent and piggyback options have their advantages and disadvantages.
I've debated going this route, but so far the only evidence of performance increases are seat pant dyno's. I really wish someone would do a before and after with real measurable results. Although, you got close with a measured boost increase. However, more boost, without the accompanying modifications to shift points is sometimes pointless. That's why I always come back to the EU flash. But, I can't go the 4K route while still under warranty. If they ever come out with the hinted at ODBII version, and assuming it's priced accordingly to other ODB tuners, then that would be the ticket. But I'm guessing with the recent ODB firewall change on later model QV's, and the fact they'd be directly competing against their own chip flash, I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I've debated going this route, but so far the only evidence of performance increases are seat pant dyno's. I really wish someone would do a before and after with real measurable results. Although, you got close with a measured boost increase. However, more boost, without the accompanying modifications to shift points is sometimes pointless. That's why I always come back to the EU flash. But, I can't go the 4K route while still under warranty. If they ever come out with the hinted at ODBII version, and assuming it's priced accordingly to other ODB tuners, then that would be the ticket. But I'm guessing with the recent ODB firewall change on later model QV's, and the fact they'd be directly competing against their own chip flash, I'm not holding my breath.
Yea it’s a slippery slope. My mechanic said it boosted turbo psi by 10 but it also added fuel so it was hard to get an accurate reading. But I will say it works. How much it works vs how much it cost is up for debate. I think the seletron chipbox and go pedal would do exactly what an ecu stage 1 tune would do. Problem is no one has an accurate dyno for either one. The qv being hard to dyno is making it difficult to trust either process. Only advantage of a chipbox over ecu is the chipbox is basically untraceable. It will show boost increases but no reason for it. All ecu tunes are detectable no matter what people claim.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Problem is no one has an accurate dyno for either one. The qv being hard to dyno is making it difficult to trust either process. Only advantage of a chipbox over ecu is the chipbox is basically untraceable. It will show boost increases but no reason for it. All ecu tunes are detectable no matter what people claim.
Thats why they invented straight level lightly-used roads, stop watches, electronic timers, and drag strips.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Problem is no one has an accurate dyno for either one. The qv being hard to dyno is making it difficult to trust either process. Only advantage of a chipbox over ecu is the chipbox is basically untraceable. It will show boost increases but no reason for it. All ecu tunes are detectable no matter what people claim.
Thats why they invented straight level lightly-used roads, stop watches, electronic timers, and drag strips.
Agree 100%.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts