Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

901 - 920 of 948 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
@epsonix

Many thanks for your reply. I will get back to my independent Alfa shop to get all modules updated. As you said the only update I have got so far is the infotainment due to bad sound quality when playing via USB cable.

The campaigns they have missed when my car has been in for service should have been done anyway. And hopefully I get my DTCM to 0501.

Also it would be a good the to have everything updated if I'll install ACC as well...

·
Registered
167 Posts
acc should work as is now

·
Registered
11 Posts
@perste
I would try with all optional updates which are visible first (including loading infotainment update yourself), and then recheck for more updates. No guarantee but sometimes other updates show up after updating one of units - like in Windows, you update some, then new pop-up.
I doubt doing failed proxi will change anything - like with adding ACC to car with e.g. version of ABS/BSM 8401 won;t cause update visible to version 8541 will show up (not for you as your VIN does not have ACC (NH3) option - your car shoudl end up at 8401).
My Giulia Veloce Q4 (2.0) had stock DTCM at 501, and no problem of course.
Also, what i can suggest is to try to go with route making sure your ABS lands at version 8401. To do this they need to follow one of service news which talks about updating to special version 8B0B first, then do proxi reset, and then do update to 8401. I attach service news for you where it is described (but you will end up at 8401) - it may though help getting up to DTCM 501 rev?

As far as I can see, your car in mid 2018 before given to you (22 km mileage) passed 3 campagins 8223, 8225, 8228, and only in mid 2020 had updated infotainment firmware, at least no other records they updated anything else. Get it fully updated and then see. I did around 50 Race retrofits to various GIulia/Stelvios 2016-2021 probably most than half were like yours age or older, of course most petrols and half were only Q4, but never had issue with not being able to get Race activated (of course if firmeares were not up to date, I send first customer to dealership for full updates). The only cars where it is not possible to well enable Race are 2.2JTDMs with MT6 gearbox, where ECU does not want to update above version 1074 (on top of my head), and so after Race activation all DNAR modes works the same way (except Race adds no ESC), but no difference in reaction of the car between modes.
So I had my car at the shop today. Did ALL updates. Still it does not want to update DTCM to 0501... "There is no flash for this ECU"

"All ECU is updated"

·
Registered
167 Posts
in that case manual forcing of udpate, but dealers rather won't help. I know some people use these cracked witech2 & cda6 tools from china and some have firmware database from somewhere and so can manualy force specific update file into ECU, but such way is bit risky and it is hard to find guys with the tool and firmware database. I know only one guy who claims has such and he is even not in my country. I never read this thread fully, just a few times glanced, have you went thorugh the posts, were there any other solutions there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
in that case manual forcing of udpate, but dealers rather won't help. I know some people use these cracked witech2 & cda6 tools from china and some have firmware database from somewhere and so can manualy force specific update file into ECU, but such way is bit risky and it is hard to find guys with the tool and firmware database. I know only one guy who claims has such and he is even not in my country. I never read this thread fully, just a few times glanced, have you went thorugh the posts, were there any other solutions there?
I believe that Squadra Tuning can do that (on site). According to their web page they offer update of the DTCM (if needed)..

·
Registered
167 Posts
I believe that Squadra Tuning can do that (on site). According to their web page they offer update of the DTCM (if needed)..

wobder if it is possible/easy enough to remove dtcm send to ST and get ecu updated off tge car - they do it for cdcm but not sure if can do for dtcm. check with them and let us know

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
427 Posts
So I am in the same boat I suppose with my 2017. I just emailed Squadra, wonder if there's anything we can do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
wobder if it is possible/easy enough to remove dtcm send to ST and get ecu updated off tge car - they do it for cdcm but not sure if can do for dtcm. check with them and let us know
So Squadra replied. They do DTCM updates at their shop however regarding sending it: "In theory it should work but in practice it's really not handy."

They option left is that I could consider to buying a used engine ECU. Squadra can prepare them and my dealership should carry out the "ECU replacement procedure" the get the ECU working on your car...

So I guess that's too much hassle... My shop did all software update free of charge. However swapping ECU and sending it on update (and not really be sure it works in the end?..) is just too much work (and cost).

I could buy the squadra Traction controller just for fun and play along (without ABS!) and it might come in handy if i get stuck in snow and might need wheelspin to get momentum.

And for diesels we are not getting any powergate solution, which might be fun if someone offered dynamic traction like Eurocompulsion..

Anyone interested in a DNA-R selector? I've got one I cant use :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the dongle and it is fun and turns off all the traction controls. I also have the euro compulsion tune with the dynamic traction control and find it completely unpredictable. In dynamic mode sometimes in the winter I can spin pretty good and then the next light the car can not allow me to spin at all.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have the dongle and it is fun and turns off all the traction controls. I also have the euro compulsion tune with the dynamic traction control and find it completely unpredictable. In dynamic mode sometimes in the winter I can spin pretty good and then the next light the car can not allow me to spin at all.
Thats good feedback.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So Squadra replied. They do DTCM updates at their shop however regarding sending it: "In theory it should work but in practice it's really not handy."

They option left is that I could consider to buying a used engine ECU. Squadra can prepare them and my dealership should carry out the "ECU replacement procedure" the get the ECU working on your car...

So I guess that's too much hassle... My shop did all software update free of charge. However swapping ECU and sending it on update (and not really be sure it works in the end?..) is just too much work (and cost).

I could buy the squadra Traction controller just for fun and play along (without ABS!) and it might come in handy if i get stuck in snow and might need wheelspin to get momentum.

And for diesels we are not getting any powergate solution, which might be fun if someone offered dynamic traction like Eurocompulsion..

Anyone interested in a DNA-R selector? I've got one I cant use :)
So regarding sending a used ECU to Squadra does not solve the DTCM problem. Thats just an option if I would like to have their tune since diesels dont support powergate via OBD...

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you want race mode just buy the race dna switch from eurocompulsion and install , then enable in body computer with multiecuscan then do proxi alignment. simple!

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
if you want race mode just buy the race dna switch from eurocompulsion and install , then enable in body computer with multiecuscan then do proxi alignment. simple!
Read through this thread and understand that it is only that simple for a relatively small subset of cars and even then you missed a critical step.
DTCM (if you have one) must be up to date.
CDCM (if you have one) must be QV version.
SGW (if you have one) must be bypassed.

MES proxy alignment is not 100% reliable unless you spring the cash for the multiplex adapter.

Don't forget to recalibrate the brakes after the proxi alignment; the car will be bricked until you do so.

Even with all of the above, it does not work for everyone.

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Registered
167 Posts
well i did purchase the multiplex adapter and i had no problems.
I did 100+ Giulia/Stelvios in my garage. With current Multiplexed 4.7R1 version (which I used maybe on 6-10 cars) I had 3 odd cases when proxi passed but one of ECUs disappeared and mileage started blinking, module was reporting removed (e.g. PAM or DSCM) after entering to proxi. then after another run, it was showing like just added, and only after another re-added correctly. I never had such with earlier versions.

In terms of adding Race mode, to supplement what @lockem said, aside of DTCM/CDCM/SGW, in terms of luck on adding, in short car must be updated to firmwares newer than late autumn 2017, as earlier may have no flappy paddles workinging in Race mode (or proxi failed). Also on IPC to support yellow schema needs 2018 firmwares (like e.g. latest 203C for 7") to see yellow schema on IPC, mid 2017 firmwares will show in normal/blue schema in Race mode.

In short I found working with retrofits (which I did only as supplementary business sometimes) too problematic (especially as customers drive to me 200-300 miles so expect job done in 2-6h and drive away - one shot job must be done), on things I have little influence some retrofits may be blocked, and there is too many dependancies on every thing which theoretically can be enabled (including hiddent things which do not exist as ready proxi setting but needs to be enabled by manual edit of hex proxi dump (right Alt+C on proxi setting list)).

So I love when people say it is easy, often it is, sometimes it is problematic or hardly possible (time/money costly and won't finish on single visit/attempt).

Reactions: Drew and JeFizz

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
427 Posts
Does riding around with a flashing ODO cause any major issues? I really want race mode for the stiffer suspension. My DTCM is stuck on 0401 so that is going to fail in proxi.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For stiffer suspension (assuming you have required dumpers option) you need to change CDCM unit to one out of Q or send it (Alfissimo) to reprogram, otherwise with stock standard 2.0 CDCMs your suspension will get setup wrong in Race super hard rear and soft front (or opposite, can't remember).

To be fair, not sure how car will behave in terms of Q4 when proxi failed on this unit. Maybe all is fine, maybe you have now RWD?

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
427 Posts
For stiffer suspension (assuming you have required dumpers option) you need to change CDCM unit to one out of Q or send it (Alfissimo) to reprogram, otherwise with stock standard 2.0 CDCMs your suspension will get setup wrong in Race super hard rear and soft front (or opposite, can't remember).

To be fair, not sure how car will behave in terms of Q4 when proxi failed on this unit. Maybe all is fine, maybe you have now RWD?
I have the CDCM module. I guess I just need to really test things out to see if I can get by with flashing ODO. If the Squadra dongle was able to stiffen the suspension to the race mode I would be peachy and just go that route.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I've just swapped my 2017 Diesel for a new(!) MY19 2.0 200hp Stelvio...

My local tuner will take it to ~300hp. But they don't use SGW bypass... They tap in to the ECU directly. That's of course a way to do it. But it got me thinking; How difficult can it be to install the SGW bridge on the Stelvios??

I would like to have the possibility to add race mode. And the process of tuning would be easier with the SGW bridge in place?

I might order @epsonix SGW bypass and give it try myself since my tuner prefer not to install it.

If I get a set extension cables as well I can use them to get a feel of how the connectors release.

·
Registered
167 Posts
in giulia it is easy to install bypass say 10 minutes job. extensions are helpful if you want quick possibility of installing SGW bypass through slot under steering wheel column. some buy one pair of extensions considering it is enought, other two considering it is even better, depends on preferences. See more info in pdf manual on my webshop

901 - 920 of 948 Posts