Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

881 - 900 of 948 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
427 Posts
I have a 2 dealers not too far away from me. I am hoping one of them will be willing to do the update.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I have a 2 dealers not too far away from me. I am hoping one of them will be willing to do the update.
My experience is that the key is to ask nicely and wave money in the air. If they think you think the update is covered by warranty (i.e. free) they are likely to refuse. The DTCM update should be less than 1 hour labor.

Reactions: Drew

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
My experience is that the key is to ask nicely and wave money in the air. If they think you think the update is covered by warranty (i.e. free) they are likely to refuse. The DTCM update should be less than 1 hour labor.
Lockem,

Is this something you were able to actually do? My dealer told me they are only able to do updates that are specified to a specific VIN. i.e. they would love to do this for me but they just can not. Am I being BS'd? I'm more than happy to pay them but they aren't giving me a way in... The techs are also pretty green where I am so if love to tell them that such and such a dealer was able to do it...

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Lockem,

Is this something you were able to actually do? My dealer told me they are only able to do updates that are specified to a specific VIN. i.e. they would love to do this for me but they just can not. Am I being BS'd? I'm more than happy to pay them but they aren't giving me a way in... The techs are also pretty green where I am so if love to tell them that such and such a dealer was able to do it...
Yes, I got the guys at Walnut Creek Alfa (who are no longer handling Alfa) to update my DTCM.
OTOH, they told me that they could not update the rest of the car to the newest version, stating that the Witech/data base returned that it was already at the newest compatible version. I was hoping to get the improved turbo cool-down code, but no luck.

I have a Sept 2017 built MY2018 Q4 with all options (including AA and ACP) except HK and sunroof. YMMV.

I have no idea regarding HW versions and SW compatibility. I was told that there are 3 HW versions through end of MY2019 (2016/early 2017, MY2017, MY2018-19) but there is plenty of evidence that there are more versions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
first tab in DTCM when you access to it via MES - see software number, all starting at least with GP0702 were good for both proxi run and operation of flappy paddles in Race mode. GK0901 also, but that was not all, I seen also these which had these firmwares not to operate OK flappy paddles (although proxi run and Race came up), and here engine ECU SW G50x at least or ABS 8401 (also some intermediate special revision between 83x1 and 8401 with number 8B0B worked OK) and on BCM I think at least software revision 602. That is not full knowledge, but rather a few notes I made based on cars which came to my workshop. Surelly with stock 2016 up to around mid 2017 production there are some issues/lacks, and autumn 2017 stock were OK
I have a Stelvio Q4 2.2 JTDM 210hp. According to my registration data its manufactured 2017-04, reciveing EU pre-registration april 13 2017. So most likely my DTCM firmware is too old?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a Stelvio Q4 2.2 JTDM 210hp. According to my registration data its manufactured 2017-04, reciveing EU pre-registration april 13 2017. So most likely my DTCM firmware is too old?
most likely. Get it for updates, ask for scan report (or do yourself with MES first) and paste copy here we will try to see if how your firmwares looks like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, new here,

I have a question,
I have bought a DNA-R switch for my 2019 Giulia Veloce, part no:156131347, it will not fit, the new DNA-R switch has an 8 pin plug where my original one has only a 4 pin slim plug, are there two different types of switch as I see there is another part number which is 156121266, anyone with any idea, car is RHD btw.

TIA

Nino

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Hi guys, new here,

I have a question,
I have bought a DNA-R switch for my 2019 Giulia Veloce, part no:156131347, it will not fit, the new DNA-R switch has an 8 pin plug where my original one has only a 4 pin slim plug, are there two different types of switch as I see there is another part number which is 156121266, anyone with any idea, car is RHD btw.

TIA

Nino
Is your original switch "mono-stable" (returns to N when you let go of the knob)? If so, I think you would be the first to try this. I expect but do not know if MY2019 and later Euro-spec RDNA switches are similar.

The mono-stable switches are a CANBUS node, making every related modification more difficult.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi guys, new here,

I have a question,

TIA

Nino
you have monostable CAN version in your car so 4 pin, the other is 10 pin to be correct - electromechanical.

First, you do not need to change at all your DNA knob, Race works on monostable without change, just in Race mode you do not have on the knob any letter red highlighted (you are missing RACE), but all works grand. But you can change to one from MY2019+Q if you want also that RACE, and what is important information, compoenents are not VIN protected so used work - I installed used on Monday, and a few months ago new in other car adding Race, but most of people just leave stock knob (e.g. today MY21 with 1kmiles on clock which came for flappy paddles and Race).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you,

So are you saying that I just need to code in the software? But will not have the race switch but will work on the standard switch?

·
Registered
167 Posts
exactly for monostable switches of MY19+ yes, done that >10 times, only had 2 customers who wanted RACE backlighted on the knob as well, one paid for brand new knob, other got 2nd hand together with carbon decors he bought from crashed car to replace his basic ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brilliant,

Think I should of come on here 1st before buying the switch, guess I'll just put it on ebay!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I guess you will find easy customer in UK mentioning in relevant Giulia or Stelvio subforums of alfaowner.com - 80% people there are your country mates happy for RHD version of the knob.

·
Vendor
2,789 Posts
yesterday i made logs in DYNO mode, and i got the same numbers in DYNO mode on each drive mode as on normal using DNA system.

So i dont think so that in race mode we loose D map on engine.
in ECM there is 1 map for engine as far i know.
only throttle pedal has some limitations in each drive mode.
For cars with Race mode, As you know when Race is activated in PROXI the engine is functioning like it's in Normal. Regardless if the DNA setting is on A, N, D or Race.

However the gearbox still does see the difference between A, N, D and Race.

So that said, the shifting behavior from the gearbox has a very big influence on the driving experience and that is what really makes the big difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, with this DTCM version race mod won't work both on Stelvio and Giulia.
So I went to my FCA shop before installing the switch. He connected the car in order to update the DTCM. However there where no updates for available for my DTCM. So no 0501. 0401 being the latest. (many other modules could be updated)

My theory is that Alfa has not made the update to 0501 available for the 2.2 JDTM Q4 Stevlio? Since there has not been any issues with the DTCM hence no need for this?

OR do I first need to replace the switch - do the proxi alignment (and fail) - end up with flashing odo - then the FCA computer will recognize that the car need the DTCM update to 0501?

·
Registered
560 Posts
So I went to my FCA shop before installing the switch. He connected the car in order to update the DTCM. However there where no updates for available for my DTCM. So no 0501. 0401 being the latest. (many other modules could be updated)

My theory is that Alfa has not made the update to 0501 available for the 2.2 JDTM Q4 Stevlio? Since there has not been any issues with the DTCM hence no need for this?

OR do I first need to replace the switch - do the proxi alignment (and fail) - end up with flashing odo - then the FCA computer will recognize that the car need the DTCM update to 0501?
replacing DNA switch or changing proxi has no effect - dealer sees your car as it came from factory so any modifications in proxi will most likely be defaulted to original state after update.
if they don't see update, you have either to find dealer which will be willing to play with your car to install update or some independent garage who has online access for Alfa Romeo

·
Registered
167 Posts
@perste
I would try with all optional updates which are visible first (including loading infotainment update yourself), and then recheck for more updates. No guarantee but sometimes other updates show up after updating one of units - like in Windows, you update some, then new pop-up.
I doubt doing failed proxi will change anything - like with adding ACC to car with e.g. version of ABS/BSM 8401 won;t cause update visible to version 8541 will show up (not for you as your VIN does not have ACC (NH3) option - your car shoudl end up at 8401).
My Giulia Veloce Q4 (2.0) had stock DTCM at 501, and no problem of course.
Also, what i can suggest is to try to go with route making sure your ABS lands at version 8401. To do this they need to follow one of service news which talks about updating to special version 8B0B first, then do proxi reset, and then do update to 8401. I attach service news for you where it is described (but you will end up at 8401) - it may though help getting up to DTCM 501 rev?

As far as I can see, your car in mid 2018 before given to you (22 km mileage) passed 3 campagins 8223, 8225, 8228, and only in mid 2020 had updated infotainment firmware, at least no other records they updated anything else. Get it fully updated and then see. I did around 50 Race retrofits to various GIulia/Stelvios 2016-2021 probably most than half were like yours age or older, of course most petrols and half were only Q4, but never had issue with not being able to get Race activated (of course if firmeares were not up to date, I send first customer to dealership for full updates). The only cars where it is not possible to well enable Race are 2.2JTDMs with MT6 gearbox, where ECU does not want to update above version 1074 (on top of my head), and so after Race activation all DNAR modes works the same way (except Race adds no ESC), but no difference in reaction of the car between modes.

Attachments

881 - 900 of 948 Posts