Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

761 - 780 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ended up going to a local Chrysler dealership and asked if they would do the DTCM update for me. I took in the number that @Beta Romeo posted and gave it to the service adviser. They were eager to help and about 30 minutes later I drove out of the service bay with no flashing odometer and functioning race mode!
I'm so glad you found a dealership that would help you!

A sad note about my RACE mode conversion though. I actually undid the conversion as I noticed a reduction in launch power from a stop. It felt slower and I suspected some kind of torque reduction from a standing stop. Using a Dragy, I found a .4 second difference between a standing launch in D mode with the race mode proxi and without. My car is also a Q4 and repeated launches don't vary much in time as there is no wheel slip, so a difference is easily detectable with Dragy.

·
Registered
610 Posts
@ttaidapos I was planning on doing a new forum topic to update some of the struggles I have had with this but with the help of several people I am extremely happy to say I have sorted the whole issue out and now have race mode functioning properly in a Q4.

First, I owe a huge thanks to everyone here in the forum! I also owe a huge thanks to Jason from @Alfissimo and @[email protected] for all of their help, after hours replies and constant email contact / product support! I can't recommend either one of their companies enough!

I have a 2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4 with adaptive suspension. I was having issues with the proxi alignment and was ready to give up on the whole ordeal. @Beta Romeo recommended the DTCM update (see post #732). My Alfa dealership would not perform the update because they said it was not needed and did not apply, even after I offered to pay for it.

I ended up going to a local Chrysler dealership and asked if they would do the DTCM update for me. I took in the number that @Beta Romeo posted and gave it to the service adviser. They were eager to help and about 30 minutes later I drove out of the service bay with no flashing odometer and functioning race mode!

I have the CDCM module from @Alfissimo which I would highly recommend! The suspension performs just as it should with this module and it makes a noticeable difference.

I have also been in contact with @[email protected] regarding the tune on the vehicle. Eurocompulsion has been awesome and as soon as I got the proxi alignment issues and everything else sorted out I sent them an email. I also sent Eurocompulsion some money to upgrade the tune and add pops/bangs and auto stop/start off. Less than 4 hours later I had a new tune. I asked them to add to the "d" and "n" positions so that I could use the tune in race mode without any issues.

@ttaidapos as far as the pedal feel, I have a pedal tuner which has maybe made me notice the pedal difference a little less.

If anyone has any questions for me about some of the trials I went through with this please don't hesitate to reach out to me. This has made a huge difference in the vehicle and made it even more enjoyable, I can't recommend it enough!
Really appreciate this. i have the pedal tuner as well and it does help the problem a bit. I think this is fixable through the EC tune but i'm not sure if they have this in the works to 'properly' support RACE mode. Once this is buttoned up, i'll go through the rest of the ordeal to get this on there.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm so glad you found a dealership that would help you!

A sad note about my RACE mode conversion though. I actually undid the conversion as I noticed a reduction in launch power from a stop. It felt slower and I suspected some kind of torque reduction from a standing stop. Using a Dragy, I found a .4 second difference between a standing launch in D mode with the race mode proxi and without. My car is also a Q4 and repeated launches don't vary much in time as there is no wheel slip, so a difference is easily detectable with Dragy.
That is because the race mode hack makes the ECU default to N in all modes. So, the increased boost usually available in D mode is not there anymore.
This can be fixed (I think) with a tune that puts the most aggressive map both in N and in D.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
@Beta Romeo - can this be found in MES?
You need MES 4.6, it is listed under Gearbox -> Magna Q4 Transfer Case. I just checked mine and see:
HW version M0045027.01 SW version M0098681-0401
From this I presume that this issue is specific to Q4s and my SW needs to be updated before the race proxy will work.

-----
D will accelerate faster than N in part because the shifts are faster.
If you have a typical EC P2 tune, D is tuned up more than N.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't find the DNA chart now but I remember more boost in D.
Otherwise how do you explain the .4 difference in 0-60?
I think it's more the way it holds boost in " launch control" with brake held and boost building. I don't think peak boost going down the road is any different, however the ability to build boost at a stop is definitely different. The RPM build at launch seems to be approximately the same but the launch is not as hard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think I noticed the same thing on my Stelvio, but I figured out launching in RACE partially compensates for that, because of faster shifts. There is overboost in normal D mode (if circumstances allow for it). I’ve seen it, it is approx 200 mbar above N. If it is hot though, there is no overboost.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think I noticed the same thing on my Stelvio, but I figured out launching in RACE partially compensates for that, because of faster shifts. There is overboost in normal D mode (if circumstances allow for it). I’ve seen it, it is approx 200 mbar above N. If it is hot though, there is no overboost.

You have to be careful comparing boost values. There is no set boost target. The throttle pedal requests a torque value. The engine control module takes a number of parameters into account and then sets a boost target to meet the torque request.

I have seen 5-7psi difference between hot and cold days.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You need MES 4.6, it is listed under Gearbox -> Magna Q4 Transfer Case. I just checked mine and see:
HW version M0045027.01 SW version M0098681-0401
From this I presume that this issue is specific to Q4s and my SW needs to be updated before the race proxy will work.
just checked mine and we have the same version

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the same issue! This is preventing me from leaving the mod on and also the fact that the linear gas pedal is perm. and not only when on RACE. For instance on QV, it's linear ONLY on RACE mode and D/N/A revert to progressive. Blah, someone fix this, i will pay you!
Can anyone else confirm this is true? The pedal in D is the same as N after doing this mod? Just to confirm I am understanding this, so N, D, and RACE all have the same linear pedal (N Mode) and non moded D progresive pedal no longer exists while using mod Type 2/DNA (RACE) in MultiECUscan. Also does Type 3/DNA/Sport (ESC Off) in MultiECUscan resolve any of this? I did the Race mod and D mode felt just like it did before I did the mod, Then I had the W05 Recall done and now D mode feels like N mode. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this. I have put about 150 miles on since the recall was done and it feels no different. I have a 2019 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport without adaptive suspension and no LSD.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well I can sadly confirm that Type 2/DNA (RACE) byte 88 changed to CC and Type 3/DNA/Sport byte 88 changed to EC Keeps the pedal in N mode permanently. I had to go back to stock settings because I could not stand how sloppy the throttle response was. If anyone has any ideas let me know. I'm going to try a Local Chrysler dealer and talk to a tech to see if theres any Module updates that have not been done by the Alfa dealer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is it after recent update? Maybe FCA in purpose wanted to demotivate people from Race mode activation, or by mistake they changed behaviour in update version? I have EU car, last update for ECU was in summer 2019, and my pedal still differs between N and D, however I felt that car lost a few HP on update. EU and US car ECUs have different firmware streams/numbers, different campagins etc so hard to compare, though just in case, I will try to avoid ECU update in future if non mandatory (unless proven by others OK for Race mode).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Activation of RACE mod, has always rendered the gas pedal linear (in N mode). It was never possible to have RACE mod and dynamic pedal map in different modes. As soon as RACE mod is enabled the gas pedal defaults to N. I am with Stelvio, but it was the same for the last 4 ECM software versions I've been through.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We are not talking about pedal in Race mode, that is true, it is like normal, but we are talking about gas pedal in Dynamic after changing proxi - guys seem to complain that in their cars, after Race activation (or Dynamic without ESC) they loose bumped up pedal in Dynamic mode.

·
Registered
610 Posts
We are not talking about pedal in Race mode, that is true, it is like normal, but we are talking about gas pedal in Dynamic after changing proxi - guys seem to complain that in their cars, after Race activation (or Dynamic without ESC) they loose bumped up pedal in Dynamic mode.
You are exactly correct. If we can get progressive pedal feel (stock) in RACE and D and leave N/A alone, it would be ideal. I'm ok with progressive in all the modes to be honest. In my SQV it does not feel as "bad" as enabling RACE in Giulia 2.0.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think @beta2alfa is talking about the pedal maps after enabling RACE mod (not RACE MODE!!!). If you read his posts carefully you will see. I am talking about the same thing. If you enable RACE mod (by changing proxy) you loose dynamic gas pedal map - it WAS always like that. He is talking about software update being done, that disabled dynamic pedal maps, but this is not true. Since the discovery of RACE mod to enable RACE MODE, you loose dynamic pedal maps, when you enable it. If for some reason after changing byte 88 to stock gas pedal maps do not return to normal, there is an issue that needs to be diagnosed.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I guess a bigger question regarding race mod is if it affects anything other than the pedal map, such as max engine power, max engine RPM, max engine torque, turbo lag, shift times, steering feel and brake feel. I think we already established that it does not alter the adaptive suspension behavior unless race mode is selected.

I think you can get the pedal map you want by installing one of the many pedal map modification boxes. In fact, I would think that said boxes would work best in combination with a linear pedal map in the ECM.

761 - 780 of 790 Posts