Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

741 - 760 of 854 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I need some signal from DNA switch to steering my exhaust flaps.

Does anybody know where can I find signal in D and Race mode?

Led which light D letter on knob is good idea?

Wysłane z mojego SM-G973F przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Vendor
2,118 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
So I was messing with MES today to disable Race mode so I could try some things. Found this

I can change modes without going into the PROXI map. Type 1 is standard DNA, Type 2 is race mode, Type 3 is ESC off.
here is ESC off map for Stelvio

·
Super Moderator
2,732 Posts
All that is doing is altering Byte 88, nothing new, just a bit easier.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I now have race mode working on my RHD Uk Giulia 2.0L Petrol Veloce. As you can see above getting the trim off first time was a bit nail biting for someone not used to using trim tools and removing plastic trim hoping to put it back on. Thanks for advice above very helpful. I have used the 2017 DNAR selector I bought second hand. I also ordered the new DNAR switch from Alfa, but didn't want to risk updated part not working and not being able to find an older so bought both. The new part also worked so to confirm part numbers both (2017) p/n 156121266 and (2019) p/n 156131347 can be activated on a 2.0l RHD Petrol giulia. Here is a quick video while stationary of Race mode being activated Race Mode Video Link.

Here are some tips from a novice to someone trying to do this. The trim is very difficult to release the first time round. I was following the Alfa Service manual and it really doesn't give you much information. I found that taking off the coin holder first (easy). I didn't bother to take off the lid or back facing rear passenger seats. Had a look but could work out how to pry. In the end not necessary in my opinion. I next loosened the storage bin sides using the thinnest trim removal tool. It will clip off a little but not come off all the way. The storage bin has large clips that stop it being lifted up easily without partially taking up the gear shift bezel trim and centre console. Start at the front at the cupholder side. On mine one of the sides had more room and was easier to take up. From there just work around with the trim tool and make enough room to be able to pull up the storage bin free. When putting back both the storage bin and centre console trim go in together pushing down the storage bin first. Once the centre console was out it was easy, just make sure you have some star bits for screwdriver. I took out the trim a second time to check second DNAR switch and it was far simpler. So will make removing for Dealer trips pretty simple. Main word of warning would be to be careful of scratching the upright sides above the centre console I have done some light stratching that I will need to try and polish out somehow. Possible protection with some tape or other would avoid this.

The MES side of it was easy if you knew what to prepare for. After changing bit 88 from AC to CC and run the proxy alignment a whole load of system unavailable messages come up (ESC, FCW, TSC, ABS, Parking brake and hill start). These disappear once the three ABS Calibrations have been executed. These are very sensitive to if done on a level surface first time I tried on what thought was a flat drive, but would not run the steering alignment calibration. Moved to somewhere else and it worked. I did also get a check engine light, which caused me to reinstall original DNA switch. This disappeared after a couple of engine restarts. I then reinstalled the DNAR switch and it didn't reoccur. I think it was probably something todo with a bit of messing about with trying to get the ABS calibration to run.

Have not had time to properly test, over next week or so will give it a go and will take to a track early September so should be able to report back then.
Hey @RomeoBear . I am thinking of doing this on my UK 2.0 as well. I have found this which seems to be part numbers you have posted. Can you confirm is this is the old style twist/click to select DNA switch and not the newer monostable DNA switch fitted to 2018,2019 cars?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tending to do the mod to my Giulia. But I was told if the car was made before 2017 July (which is my case), I don't get paddle shifter in RACE mode. Is that true or if there is some way to go around that...

·
Registered
110 Posts
way around this is to get your firmwares updated for number of ECUs. I do not have full statistics, but mid 2017 production (e.g. I had Giulia Sport Ti for such mod) was not good enough, end of 2017 cars were good. I'm not 100% sure which exactly updates are mandatory and at which revision. Updates are optional (unless there is recall for something), and dealers not necessarily will upgrade for free. I woudl opt for having at least engine ECU, gearbox, shifting module, BCM and maybe ABS updated if possible, so the firmwares understand Race mode setting. If you have active dumpers option, then you need your CDCM replaced to one from Q or get it replaced for reprogrammed unit (Alfissimo offers exchange program for these)

·
Registered
6 Posts
way around this is to get your firmwares updated for number of ECUs. I do not have full statistics, but mid 2017 production (e.g. I had Giulia Sport Ti for such mod) was not good enough, end of 2017 cars were good. I'm not 100% sure which exactly updates are mandatory and at which revision. Updates are optional (unless there is recall for something), and dealers not necessarily will upgrade for free. I woudl opt for having at least engine ECU, gearbox, shifting module, BCM and maybe ABS updated if possible, so the firmwares understand Race mode setting. If you have active dumpers option, then you need your CDCM replaced to one from Q or get it replaced for reprogrammed unit (Alfissimo offers exchange program for these)
Many thanks, wondering if there is a way to check the firmware versions...

·
Registered
110 Posts
of course, using MES, the same you use for Proxi change to activate Race mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to convince the dealer to apply these updates to the DTCM that @Beta Romeo mentioned in post #732.

I have been trying to explore every avenue to get race mode to activate in my 2017 Ti Sport Q4 and I am hoping this will fix the problem for me.

During the Proxi Alignment the only issue I am running into now is the DTCM fails the proxi alignment and I am stuck with a flashing odometer.

I just installed the CDCM from @Alfissimo but determined the blue adapter I have is no good so I have not performed a proxi alignment yet. I will keep everyone updated and let you know if I find a way to get it to work.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and input!

·
Vendor
2,118 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to convince the dealer to apply these updates to the DTCM that @Beta Romeo mentioned in post #732.

I have been trying to explore every avenue to get race mode to activate in my 2017 Ti Sport Q4 and I am hoping this will fix the problem for me.

During the Proxi Alignment the only issue I am running into now is the DTCM fails the proxi alignment and I am stuck with a flashing odometer.

I just installed the CDCM from @Alfissimo but determined the blue adapter I have is no good so I have not performed a proxi alignment yet. I will keep everyone updated and let you know if I find a way to get it to work.

Just wait for my new Adapter sent. I think this will take care of it for you.

·
Registered
611 Posts

I have the same issue! This is preventing me from leaving the mod on and also the fact that the linear gas pedal is perm. and not only when on RACE. For instance on QV, it's linear ONLY on RACE mode and D/N/A revert to progressive. Blah, someone fix this, i will pay you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Eurocompulsion did my Stelvio tune which has race mode installed, he was able to leave my A mode as is, but make N/D mode the same, so when I switched to Race it felt the same as the other modes.. Im very happy with this..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue! This is preventing me from leaving the mod on and also the fact that the linear gas pedal is perm. and not only when on RACE. For instance on QV, it's linear ONLY on RACE mode and D/N/A revert to progressive. Blah, someone fix this, i will pay you!
@ttaidapos I was planning on doing a new forum topic to update some of the struggles I have had with this but with the help of several people I am extremely happy to say I have sorted the whole issue out and now have race mode functioning properly in a Q4.

First, I owe a huge thanks to everyone here in the forum! I also owe a huge thanks to Jason from @Alfissimo and @[email protected] for all of their help, after hours replies and constant email contact / product support! I can't recommend either one of their companies enough!

I have a 2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4 with adaptive suspension. I was having issues with the proxi alignment and was ready to give up on the whole ordeal. @Beta Romeo recommended the DTCM update (see post #732). My Alfa dealership would not perform the update because they said it was not needed and did not apply, even after I offered to pay for it.

I ended up going to a local Chrysler dealership and asked if they would do the DTCM update for me. I took in the number that @Beta Romeo posted and gave it to the service adviser. They were eager to help and about 30 minutes later I drove out of the service bay with no flashing odometer and functioning race mode!

I have the CDCM module from @Alfissimo which I would highly recommend! The suspension performs just as it should with this module and it makes a noticeable difference.

I have also been in contact with @[email protected] regarding the tune on the vehicle. Eurocompulsion has been awesome and as soon as I got the proxi alignment issues and everything else sorted out I sent them an email. I also sent Eurocompulsion some money to upgrade the tune and add pops/bangs and auto stop/start off. Less than 4 hours later I had a new tune. I asked them to add to the "d" and "n" positions so that I could use the tune in race mode without any issues.

@ttaidapos as far as the pedal feel, I have a pedal tuner which has maybe made me notice the pedal difference a little less.

If anyone has any questions for me about some of the trials I went through with this please don't hesitate to reach out to me. This has made a huge difference in the vehicle and made it even more enjoyable, I can't recommend it enough!

741 - 760 of 854 Posts