Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
You bring up a good point which is for adaptive suspension I would have done this mod alone. You contact @Alfissimo and get a reprogrammed chassis control module to that of the qv and it was like getting a set of coilivers. Much improved body control.
I am tempted to do that, but I wonder if the dealer will overwrite it on the next visit if there's an update.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Active Suspension, LSD
1,841 Posts
I am tempted to do that, but I wonder if the dealer will overwrite it on the next visit if there's an update.
I don't go to the dealership ever lol. Keeps those types of things from happening.

That being said this is the chassis control module so i cant think of any reason they would ever have to update that.

But I kept my old one anyways so i can swap it back in when i sell the car. You could do that for dealer visits. Theyre only a couple hundred bucks on eBay

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,776 Posts
The CDCM just needs to be at a high enough version to work with the race mode adaptive schtuff, and I doubt the dealer can downgrade a component, and an upgrade should be fine.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't go to the dealership ever lol. Keeps those types of things from happening.
Yea… don’t go to the dealership if you can. I’m six weeks into trying to get things sorted out after they ignored me telling them not to update any software.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,776 Posts
Reactions: Beta Romeo

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm curious about the warranty police... since aftermarket parts are protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, can a manufacture decline a warranty if you've added factory options/components? It doesn't seem likely. After all, we're not really changing anything Alfa Romeo offers, we're just turning it back on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm curious about the warranty police... since aftermarket parts are protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, can a manufacture decline a warranty if you've added factory options/components? It doesn't seem likely. After all, we're not really changing anything Alfa Romeo offers, we're just turning it back on.
Not really, a dealership would have to prove that the modification itself caused the component failure. If a dealership really has deep-seated anger or seething resentment of a customer, they could flag a restriction on a car... IE, they note with Alfa, that the car has a boost-box or reflash on it, it will appear in the "Vehicle Restrictions". Thus, if in the future you get a rod-knock, they may have a case in saying that the engine operating parameters were modified in the past and you have no coverage of the engine itself. Obviously, this wouldn't cause them not to warranty a glove-box door.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Unless you ARE the dealership, like I am. Now I'm reporting you all to the warranty police. 😅

🤫
They absolutely can. In fact some do it automatically. Read up on Audi TD1 that automatically flags the warranty in the national database anytime the spec/actual scan picks up evidence of tuning. This spec vs actual scan actually runs in the background literally everytime the dealer tool is hooked up to the car. Even just to reset service interval. The dealership has no say in it.

As far as actually denying the claim its as easy as them saying "denied."

They have every right to deny powertrain claims too on vehicles with modified powertrain.

And there's really no reason they wouldn't do this other than pissing off .01 percent of their customers.

The law is actually on their side. Your warranty documents specifically state performance parts are not covered nor any component impacted by them. We're not talking OE substitute REPLACEMENT parts here that the Magnuson Moss Act was written to protect (so auto manufacturers can't create a monopoly and require you to buy replacement parts only from them) we're talking about PERFORMANCE parts that by definition alter the original operating parameters of the vehicle. As soon as you do that good luck proving any part of your drivetrain was not impacted by that. Now your car stereo breaks...they should cover it.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Yea… don’t go to the dealership if you can. I’m six weeks into trying to get things sorted out after they ignored me telling them not to update any software.
I'll stop going once the warranty is out.. one more year.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,776 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
I’m literally weeks away from my warranty ending (June 30), so imagine my surprise when the dealer visit last month left me with CEL’s.

@bhvrdr I hear what your saying (and yea, the VW TD1 flag is a reason I don’t want another one), but wouldn’t the original parameters include using available code? For example, adding paddles doesn’t really alter anything… the option is already there. A better FCA example is adding a trailer hitch to the Jeep’s. You have to do a similar update to the software in order to use the factory tow package after installing. It’s not a modification or change, it’s just changing the factory setting to another one.

Im sure it’s more of a gray area in these cases. The only reason a manufacturer would be against doing stuff like this is that they’d prefer the dealership getting the revenue IMO.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I’m literally weeks away from my warranty ending (June 30), so imagine my surprise when the dealer visit last month left me with CEL’s.

@bhvrdr I hear what your saying (and yea, the VW TD1 flag is a reason I don’t want another one), but wouldn’t the original parameters include using available code? For example, adding paddles doesn’t really alter anything… the option is already there. A better FCA example is adding a trailer hitch to the Jeep’s. You have to do a similar update to the software in order to use the factory tow package after installing. It’s not a modification or change, it’s just changing the factory setting to another one.

Im sure it’s more of a gray area in these cases. The only reason a manufacturer would be against doing stuff like this is that they’d prefer the dealership getting the revenue IMO.
Absolutely and i made a mistake in quoting you. Its really meant for aftermarket parts that alter performance. Race mode doesn't alter the actual power output so hard for anyone to say it could cause an engine failure but does alter the performance of esc/tc so you could reasonably be denied repairs on things like rear diff, transmission, axles, links, driveshaft, etc.

Adding paddles i cant imagine what that could impact other than perhaps electronic modules that were reprogrammed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re fitting the switch and not enabling Race mode via MultiEcuScan, as the OP is proposing, there are certainly no issues with the D, N & A modes as I ran in that state for a few weeks before driving in Type 3. I can't tell you what happens if you try to select R as in my curiosity I wasn't turning the knob far enough.

I don't know enough about the system, but I suspect what you are trying to do won't work as the car will think it is in Dynamic, and I imagine this is what the Alfissimo system is checking, not the switch position, which reverts to D on older cars, or N on newer I believe. Getting the state the switch has selected and retaining that, rather than what mode the car currently recognises are very different programming tasks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re fitting the switch and not enabling Race mode via MultiEcuScan, as the OP is proposing, there are certainly no issues with the D, N & A modes as I ran in that state for a few weeks before driving in Type 3. I can't tell you what happens if you try to select R as in my curiosity I wasn't turning the knob far enough.

I don't know enough about the system, but I suspect what you are trying to do won't work as the car will think it is in Dynamic, and I imagine this is what the Alfissimo system is checking, not the switch position, which reverts to D on older cars, or N on newer I believe. Getting the state the switch has selected and retaining that, rather than what mode the car currently recognises are very different programming tasks.
It does nothing. I still have the Race knob installed in my car even though it's back to stock procsi, putting it in race without the procsi does nothing. Not even a little bit of smoke from the console. It looks cool... I guess. Maybe I should just sell my race mode switch.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts