Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about enabling race mode on my MY18 Q4. Are there any real performance differences? I have not seen any stats on 0-60 times or anything like that. Does anyone have that info?

Also, I am looking at the valved exhaust from Alfissimo and I am wondering if I could wire the remote in so that when I hit race mode i would open the valve? My thought is, that if there are no appreciable performance differences from the race mode mod, I could wire in the remote so that when you select the race mode, it would trigger the exhaust. Crazy I know.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Race mode is best for the track, though I think having the electronic controls on actually help drivers learn what the car likes first. I know the stability controls are safer on the street for most too. I already know of one 2.0 guy that spun out right after installing RDNA.

Personally , I’ve only driven in race mode in the year it’s been installed on mine. I find that most stability controls intervene when I’m not expecting it. Having them off gives you a more consistent driving experience.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,830 Posts
Interesting. So no gains in power though?
No, it disables FCW and lessens ESC/TCS nannies, that's all. Theoreticall it could improve your launch times as the nannies would not intervene as much. Manual shifts are quicker in Race mode.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Active Suspension, LSD
1,862 Posts
Yeah totally depends on your driving needs. If you just daily drive point a to point b dont bother. Especially in a q4 that has great limits. If you perfomance drive or track the ecs/tc can really intervene both aggressively and inconsistently imo. Youll wear through rear brake pads and have shit handling results at the limit.

Put it this way...the 2.0l Giulia had worse figure 8 and skidpad performance than the Toyota Prius when tested by professional drivers. .... Seriously. How is that possible? It was inhibited by the tc/ecs systems. You disable them and you can get handling near or better than the qv (since it weighs 300lbs less). Its a huge difference.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know. Thanks all.

Now to the crazy. What happens in Race Mode, with the QV selector installed if no other changes are made; i.e. proxy alignment and all that? Will it do nothing freeing me to figure out a way to mod it to interact with the exhaust. I think I will need to piss away some money and get the selector and investigate.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,235 Posts
Race mode improves steering, suspension stability (assumes you have PP), and shift times (manual shift mode). Disabling ESC/TC is necessary under some limited traction conditions, such as driving uphill on snow/ice.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You bring up a good point which is for adaptive suspension I would have done this mod alone. You contact @Alfissimo and get a reprogrammed chassis control module to that of the qv and it was like getting a set of coilivers. Much improved body control.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
559 Posts
I would say if you have adaptive suspension, go for it. If not, eh. Last year I autocrossed in Dynamic and did not have any interventions. I do have the Performance package though, so that gives me LSD and having Q4 helps even more. If I didn't have adaptive suspension, I would just use dyno mode or get the Squadra performance logger.

Adding Race mode definitely gives our adaptive suspension even greater stiffness and it is very noticeable. Was worth it for that alone (along with CDCM change).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so I do not need to modify much at all. I will not be installing / modding the race mode. However, I will be installing the R-DNA mod along with the valved exhaust. Alfissimo sells a programmable kit that switches the exhaust valve based on the position of the R-DNA switch. More to come in the coming weeks when I get the parts and get them installed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct. From I have read, if you make no other changes and install the R-DNA switch, it will do nothing. However, with the valved exhaust and exhaust mod kit, it will/should open the valve while the rest of the car remains the same.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
559 Posts
Correct. From I have read, if you make no other changes and install the R-DNA switch, it will do nothing. However, with the valved exhaust and exhaust mod kit, it will/should open the valve while the rest of the car remains the same.
We have no confirmation on that. You'll be the first to try it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I installed race mode on my Q4 and noticed a significant loss in the ability to brake-boost the car off the line. I can get a much harder launch with race mode disabled. I think it is partially to do with the throttle map for D being overwritten with the N map. Using Draggy I noticed a .4 second difference to sixty with and without the race mode installed(faster without race mode). I don't know what the exact cause is, but it's more than just a pedal map causing the issue.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I installed race mode on my Q4 and noticed a significant loss in the ability to brake-boost the car off the line. I can get a much harder launch with race mode disabled. I think it is partially to do with the throttle map for D being overwritten with the N map. Using Draggy I noticed a .4 second difference to sixty with and without the race mode installed(faster without race mode). I don't know what the exact cause is, but it's more than just a pedal map causing the issue.
I have no issues with brake boosting - with or without race mod.

What exactly is the issue? Wheelspin? RPM staying too low?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah odd. I can brake boost fine too?

·
Registered
789 Posts
My answer would be it's probably not worth it unless you are really into tracking the car.... Otherwise you get basically no benefit with the downside of losing the benefits of the DNA knob changes (ie more relaxed cruising in A/N and more spirited in D)

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
559 Posts
Did you flash type 2 or type 3? Do you have the performance package? Did you have a flashing ODO?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was a pretty early adopter of the race mode setup. In fact I was the first one to update the CDCM to get rid of the flashing ODO(if you look at the old race mode thread). I tried both race mode versions(yellow display and no). I've tried it with a Madness box and the JB4(map 2 and 3). I've got the performance package. Without race mode I can easily get into the 4.6 range with no rollout. With race mode It was hard to break 5.0. That was running PS4S tires so there was pretty much zero wheel spin. I think it has something to do with the transmission engagement at launch.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I was a pretty early adopter of the race mode setup. In fact I was the first one to update the CDCM to get rid of the flashing ODO(if you look at the old race mode thread). I tried both race mode versions(yellow display and no). I've tried it with a Madness box and the JB4(map 2 and 3). I've got the performance package. Without race mode I can easily get into the 4.6 range with no rollout. With race mode It was hard to break 5.0. That was running PS4S tires so there was pretty much zero wheel spin. I think it has something to do with the transmission engagement at launch.
Thats interesting. Theres no accounting for how these cars seem to have different programming by year.

I have a 2019 and i brake boost in both D and Race with no issue. I actually have to limit my launch revs to 2200rpm or below or ill just spin the ps4s 255/35 rears like crazy even if i heat them up first. I think i did a 4.4x on rwd without rollout which was just traction limited.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts