Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought and installed the Magnaflow x-pipe from Eurocompulsion. This replaces the center exhaust section from the cats back to the beginning of the diffuser. A cross pipe replaces the center resonator.

overall craftsmanship of the exhaust section is good, it came very well packaged.

installation took about 2.5 hours, but i was taking my time. If i were to do it again, I could probably get it done in an hour. The hardest part is just breaking free the existing unit, you basically are working around the fixed cats coming off the headers, and the rear exhaust section, and you need to pull the existing center section out by compressing the flex section in front of the resonator. To get it out, i pulled the front sections off the cats first, then wiggled the back section out little by little.

On the install, I did it opposite of the instructions, putting the back pipes in, then bending the front pipes into place over the cats. There is no other way to do it, you cant get the section in putting the front section in first.

Overall pretty simple install, if you have a lift.

A side observations is that the little hanger pieces are works of art, very light pieces, someone was paying very careful attention to the weight of this car. (obviously).

The sound is as advertised, its about 15% louder and loses none of the existing exhaust note characteristics. After a few days of driving, my impressions are in normal mode its about 80% as loud as stock racing mode. In race mode its about 15% louder. The biggest change in the note seems to be in the normal mode. It adds just a little more sound, which is what I was looking for, just a bit more pronounced.

The very best part is that, at least on my QV, in race mode while just trying to hold the throttle around 3-4k rpms there was a "leapiness" or wandering, or notchiness, looking for the right word to describe it.....the engine wants to bounce out of that rev range - either happy being at lower rpms or way up in the band, but hard to find good stable useability in that mid range rpms. Its fine when you want to put the hammer down, but gradual movement through that range is tough without bouncing around. Very annoying. I am not sure if its the crossing of the exhaust pulses, the freer flow or both, but that syndrome is gone, and the car is much more fluid through that range when in Race mode.

Overall a good addition for under $800. I may get an exhaust when there are more options.

Attachments

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Thanks for the review. Always appreciated!

I also noticed a small degree of hunting prior but did not want to associate it with certainty in regards to the exhaust since, we had updated the calibration on the car and the exhaust around the same time. It looks like the exhaust did it as you confirmed above.

If some one wants a healthy degree of volume but still wishes to retain the factory tone, this is the way to go. Definitely adds a bit of bark to the bite. :)

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Supporting Vendor
706 Posts
The very best part is that, at least on my QV, in race mode while just trying to hold the throttle around 3-4k rpms there was a "leapiness" or wandering, or notchiness, looking for the right word to describe it.....the engine wants to bounce out of that rev range - either happy being at lower rpms or way up in the band, but hard to find good stable useability in that mid range rpms. Its fine when you want to put the hammer down, but gradual movement through that range is tough without bouncing around. Very annoying. I am not sure if its the crossing of the exhaust pulses, the freer flow or both, but that syndrome is gone, and the car is much more fluid through that range when in Race mode.
Very pleased to hear your review of the system! Everything you noted was basically what we experienced testing the system.

Regarding the 3-4k RPM issues, I can shed some light on that. The stock exhaust does not really merge the exhaust pulses until the rear muffler. There is a some crossover inside the resonator but I don't think it is very effective. There are combinations of RPM and throttle where the exhaust sounds a little flat and "blatty" and I think there are some bad harmonics going on. These may coincide with the jumpiness you experienced.

This was one of the major reasons we used the X-pipe design: to merge the exhaust pulses sooner than the factory system. We knew we would get some additional volume when deleting the resonator but we also wanted to focus on smoother flow and getting a better exhaust tone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that is what I suspected. I drove the QV all day yesterday in the back roads of Marin, and the more I drive it the more I like it. The change in dynamics of engine response are pretty pronounced. You can hold the RPM's anywhere in the band in race mode without the jumpiness. And the note is killer, just the right about of anger. I would be hard pressed to spend the extra $ on a full exhaust, this does the trick.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Chris...is this what you had done to your Grey Quad ?.....D

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
5,012 Posts
Are there installation instructions for this online?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't really need the instructions. Once you get it in the air and look at it, it only goes in one way...(opposite from the way the provided instructions, as noted above). Let me know if you need further instructions.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Nice. I'd like to see some tech instruction on why this happens. I notice a similar effect even on stock exhaust in D mode with Forza valve open. In the common spot between 3 and 5K rpm, I can hear the system bark again on it's own when the boost bypass valve closes, especially on a small grade, constant throttle. Load based in other words. I'd like to get a better understanding what is happening across the whole system, if not just exhaust and how the ECU handles boost. The computer is probably playing with rpm via timing and throttle plate position (not pedal) based on boost pressure and back pressure, manifold pressure, all that. This is what I want to know.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
You don't really need the instructions. Once you get it in the air and look at it, it only goes in one way...(opposite from the way the provided instructions, as noted above). Let me know if you need further instructions.
I wouldn't be able to install this myself so I wanted something to send to a shop

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't be able to install this myself so I wanted something to send to a shop
It comes with instructions, so any moderately capable shop can do this. Unless yours didnt come with instructions. If it didn't let me know and I will send you mine.

Even an ordinary shop wouldn't really need them, its all self explanatory. However, like I posted above, you cant put it in the way the OEM instructions say. You need to first need to seat the rear pipes into the muffler, then "bend" over the front pipes to seat into the headers. That wont make any sense unless you are looking at the system, so just print this out and give it to the shop.

Geno

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
It comes with instructions, so any moderately capable shop can do this. Unless yours didnt come with instructions. If it didn't let me know and I will send you mine.

Even an ordinary shop wouldn't really need them, its all self explanatory. However, like I posted above, you cant put it in the way the OEM instructions say. You need to first need to seat the rear pipes into the muffler, then "bend" over the front pipes to seat into the headers. That wont make any sense unless you are looking at the system, so just print this out and give it to the shop.

Geno
I haven't ordered it yet but I wanted to send them to my shop to get a $ and time estimate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts