Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've recently placed an order for a Giulia Ti Sport.

My brief for the order was "A Quadrifoglio, without the engine (and with a sunroof)", so I've got the Ti sport, with the performance pack, and the staggered wheels, and of course the sunroof.

So the question is, how close is it mechanically?
Yes, the brakes are smaller, the aero is different, the interior trim (seats) are different.

But otherwise? Is the suspension and diff the same for the performance pack? Is the gearbox the same?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Suspensions are the same but slightly higher, differential is LSD instead of Torque Vectoring, gearbox is same but rated for a smaller load (ZF 8HP50 instead of 8HP70, you don't need to handle the V6 torque after all).
Also you get a lot less carbon fiber in the Ti even though the weights of the cars are very similar.
And, as lost1750 said - no race mode

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Quad has a race mode that the Ti does not.
I doubt if they share the same transmission.
Quad has a much stronger LSD. The Ti only gets an LSD if you specifically request one, and it's not as strong.
Brakes, I suspect that the steel sets are different.
The Quad has a non-folding rear seat that acts as a bulkhead. That means it's used to stiffen the chassis to help deal with the extra torque.
The Ti doesn't weight that much less than the Quad. I suspect the extra weight is from the bigger engine, stronger transmission and stronger LSD.

Basically, the body (unit-body) is the same. Suspension points would also be the same. I suspect that everything else (bolt on parts) is different. One car has to support 500 horse power and the other only has to support half that.

Bumping the Ti up to 350 should be easy enough and I suspect it will support the extra torque and power. I would not expect it to deal with 500 hp (practically doubling the 2.0 power) very long.

If you really want a 500 hp Giulia, you're better off buying a Quad. This will include a full warranty. You're suggesting to buy a new car and remove the warranty. Wait and buy one that's been crashed if you really want to go this (modification) route.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quad has a race mode that the Ti does not.

I doubt if they share the same transmission.

Quad has a much stronger LSD. The Ti only gets an LSD if you specifically request one, and it's not as strong.

Brakes, I suspect that the steel sets are different.

The Quad has a non-folding rear seat that acts as a bulkhead. That means it's used to stiffen the chassis to help deal with the extra torque.

The Ti doesn't weight that much less than the Quad. I suspect the extra weight is from the bigger engine, stronger transmission and stronger LSD.

Basically, the body (unit-body) is the same. Suspension points would also be the same. I suspect that everything else (bolt on parts) is different. One car has to support 500 horse power and the other only has to support half that.

Bumping the Ti up to 350 should be easy enough and I suspect it will support the extra torque and power. I would not expect it to deal with 500 hp (practically doubling the 2.0 power) very long.

If you really want a 500 hp Giulia, you're better off buying a Quad. This will include a full warranty. You're suggesting to buy a new car and remove the warranty. Wait and buy one that's been crashed if you really want to go this (modification) route.

Sorry but there are some errors in here

QV doesnt have an LSD but a torque vectoring diff with clutchplates

The non folding rear seats are not to stiffen the chassis, in fact they are only mounted with two bolts and there will be an option for folding seats from easter onwards.

Suspension parts and brakes are far more solid on the quad as well

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
The transmission is definitely different as the QV transmission has a higher torque rating. It is not obvious to me if that means it was made from stronger metal, more metal or a combination there of.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The non folding rear seats are not to stiffen the chassis, in fact they are only mounted with two bolts and there will be an option for folding seats from easter onwards.
Do you have a source for this bit on the rear seats? I've read several times that the seat doesn't fold down to reduce chassis flexibility. And I wasn't aware there would be a folding seat option. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to read your source.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have seen a picture of dismounted rear seats and there are no struts to increase regidity. In the EU Giulia QV even is only a four seater and this is due to insurance reasons. Regarding the folding I always believed because of the polstering it does not work. A friend is in contact with Alfa Romeo germany who got me the information regarding foldable seats. He is holding back his order until it is available. I will tell you when the order is placed

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,287 Posts
Suspensions are the same
i tried to argue this point at the "other" website and copped some pretty rude abusive garbage that when i pushed back got banned over

it is basically the same suspension design ... and i remain defiant ( to the last )

thank you Conte

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
isnt the 280hp version of this 2.0 litre 4 cylinder a tuned up version of the base 200hp?

are you able to ramp up a 280hp any further without inviting turbo or heating or head gasket issues?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Hi all, I've recently placed an order for a Giulia Ti Sport.

My brief for the order was "A Quadrifoglio, without the engine (and with a sunroof)", so I've got the Ti sport, with the performance pack, and the staggered wheels, and of course the sunroof.

So the question is, how close is it mechanically?
Yes, the brakes are smaller, the aero is different, the interior trim (seats) are different.

But otherwise? Is the suspension and diff the same for the performance pack? Is the gearbox the same?
visually? very similar, other than the rear exhausts and the brakes/wheels/air vents they sit on the road very similar and both look stunning
mechanically?, totally different, 510hp vs 280hp, Ferrari growl vs subdued purr,
transmission and driving dynamics?, i can only guess very similar except for race mode

can a Ti satisfy in the absence of a QV ? YES ... most definitely

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
isnt the 280hp version of this 2.0 litre 4 cylinder a tuned up version of the base 200hp?
You've got it backwards: the starting design is the 280hp, and the 200hp is the detuned version. On a hardware level, they're exactly the same.

Caveat: this only applies to GR0/PR0 versions of the 200hp. GR9/PR9 versions have some hardware differences.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Split rear seats for the Quadrifoglio will be offered in the future, yes. Heated rear seats will be offered as well. I do not know the timeframe, though.

·
Registered
630 Posts
QV also has carbon fiber bonnet, different front bumper cover, active front aero splitter, vented front fenders, extended carbon fiber side sills, different rear bumper cover, (mostly) flat aerodynamic floor under the body leading to a much more aggressive rear diffuser, a carbon fiber boot lid spoiler, a carbon fiber roof (hence no sunroof option). There are hundreds of tiny differences if you start cataloging them and adding them up. Interestingly, the QV has a more narrow track width both front and rear than the base and Ti cars.

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...18_AR_Giulia_SPsiqa0qm0tiibbrvjv0p8fou9fu.pdf

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
Split rear seats for the Quadrifoglio will be offered in the future, yes. Heated rear seats will be offered as well. I do not know the timeframe, though.
Ventilated/cooled seats are a strong want for some. Those too, perhaps?

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
You've got it backwards: the starting design is the 280hp, and the 200hp is the detuned version. On a hardware level, they're exactly the same.

Caveat: this only applies to GR0/PR0 versions of the 200hp. GR9/PR9 versions have some hardware differences.
thank you, always happy to be corrected when im wrong ;-)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"split rear seats will be offered"
good news

I guess it's too much to hope that North America cars will get a tow hitch rating as is common for euro cars

·
Registered
630 Posts
I guess it's too much to hope that North America cars will get a tow hitch rating as is common for euro cars

It’s not going to happen. Towing, driving regulations, driver training, tort liability and civil litigation are all drastically different in Europe. There people tow caravans on holiday with 3 cylinder Ford Fiestas. Here you’d need a Ford F-150 at a minimum to do the same job. If you must tow with your Giulia then you’re on your own.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
it's been driving me crazy since 78, I could get a factory hitch for a 2 liter saab turbo but not an alfa - and now I see prius's towing motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts