Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably going to put a deposit on a QV and would like the wisdom of the crowd trying to select options:

1. Brakes: steel or ceramic? I intend to track the living s*&^ out of this thing, at least 10, probably more like 20 days per year. Both brake types offer excellent performance as far as I can tell, with minimal propensity toward fade. I don't care about brake dust. CCB's cost 6x as much to replace, but do you get 6x the life out of them? This seems very unlikely to me. Are there factors I'm not considering? Currently leaning toward steel rotors.

2. Seats: stock or Sparco? Although I will track the car up to 20 days per year, the other 345, it's my DD. Will the Sparcos be comfortable? Do they have any kind of lumbar support? Do they actually hold you from lateral movement effectively? I notice the pass-thru slots for shoulder belts. Are there proper anchor points for a 5 point harness? Does the bucket have an anti-submarine slot?

3. Service: aggressive driving requires frequent service, especially oil changes, brake bleeds/changes. Is it true you have to drop the motor to change the oil? How many miles/km's before you can switch to synthetic oil? (In other words, how close is the motor to fully broken in on delivery?)

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I might be mistaken but aren't the QV standard with the CCM only now. I'm not in the market for the QV (Too much money and will never take to track so no point in me trying to get a $90k car). I thought this is what I have been reading that the QV will only have the CCM brakes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far, my local dealer has implied that I can basically bring in the spec sheets kitted out however I like, and they show both steel and CCB. Admittedly, I may be interpreting that mandate too broadly.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Steel brakes will be fine for your needs. CCM brakes are not ideal for daily driving around town.
Stock seats are amazingly comfortable and supportive, plus heated, whereas the Sparcos are not.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is an oil temp gauge. I'm told the Sparcos do not have a cut for the anti-sub belt. It will be very interesting to read when someone here is able to install harnesses.

I really doubt you have to drop the motor to change the oil. That seems impossible. It hasn't even been true for Ferraris for decades now.

I plan to get to the CCM's, but this car will only see probably 5-6 days a year. (I'll have a couple other track cars by next year). The giulia will probably see 100 street days, so it will mostly be a street car for me. (This is assuming the get their **** together so I can actually order a car next year)

Most CCM/B brakes don't last very long on track. (Depends on the track, the car, and the driver of course). Porsche has a great material now that does last a nice long time, but at least visually the Alfa rotors look like the old CCBs that everyone used, which pit very quickly. My plan is to replace the rotors eventually with Movit ceramics, which are excellent, long lasting carbon ceramic rotors. I also plan to switch immediately to Pagid RSC1 pads, which are geneally easy on rotors.

I'm sure gyrodisc will have an option soon, also. There is also a titanium rotor material coming soon that I might test myself late this summer. Keep in mind that if you buy the CCM, and you replace the rotors, you still do get to have bigger rotors than the standard brakes without having to swap calipers out. Whether that's worth the extra weight and cost is a good question.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These responses are really helpful. Thanks! I guess if, down the road, I decide its time for some mods, I'll just go ahead and find my own racing seat, probably an OMP, though I'm not sure where I'd anchor the shoulder belts without taking out the back seat and probably doing some welding. That's too painful to contemplate at present in such a beautiful car. Kind of surprised the steel rotors are drilled, but I'm sure it won't be hard to find a compatible two-piece setup at replacement time. I think (hope) the tuners will be all over these things in a few years. Glad to hear about the oil temp gauge. Sure hope dealers will be teaching the previously unboosted why that's important...

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 02. having just gone through this when I ordered. For me I am a weight fanatic, as in not any in my cars. I went with the Sparco race seats and CCB's for weight reasons. This is a "relatively" light vehicle so I would assume consumables such as pads and rotors are not too much of a big deal on the track. But if you are tracking this thing 20 times a year...that is an extreme case. With CCB's you shed the best kind of weight - un-sprung. Maybe 5-7 lbs per corner (just a guess) and the carbon fiber seats have to be lighter as well just by virtue of carbon fiber, less motors, no heat etc. Would love to do a weigh in for seats and CCB's

I have a 911 for the track but might do a few days in the Quad just to see what it is like. I think the CCB's and the Sparcos will be great for that. You will get some degradation in cold stopping performance on the street but I doubt it will be too noticeable and if it is you can always adjust with pads.

Your issue will be tires unless you are going to have a dedicated set for track. The compound on these stock is very very soft.

-jeff

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
OP it all depends what kind of events you are going to do.......

If you are planning to do wheel to wheel racing, yes weight counts, so strip the entire car, put a cage and go for the win......

If you are just doing driver's education events, the money you save from the brakes and seat could be used for better pads, brake fluid and a set of dedicated track wheels and tires.......

Most importantly, post videos of your events! Enjoy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HPDE only for the QV, in stock configuration, until it turns 10 and I can bear the thought of gutting it, but who knows, maybe Alfa will introduce a GT or Cup racer in the meantime. Proper track wheels/tires will be my first aftermarket purchase for her.

For now, for proper racing, I've got a caged S2000. My current HPDE track beast is a sleeper Miata with 300 rwhp.

And videos? Ohhhhh yes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.