Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been interested in the Giulia for the past couple of months and have had a chance to drive a Ti a few times. I have tended to buy relatively affordable but somewhat sporty cars over the years, and I tend to drive them until they drop. I had a 1976 Fiat 128 wagon (cute car, but piece of junk), 1982 jetta, 1991 Acura Integra, 2000 Passat wagon, leased a few Ford Explorers 1995-2000 through a work deal, 2000 VW Passat wagon, 2006 Mazda 3, and 2014 Escape). Now the Mazda has about 120k miles and still running strong but I'm getting the itch.

I'm now at a point late in my working career where I can afford to splurge and want to take things up a notch. I have test driven a BMW 335, Audi S4, and Giulia Ti with 19" Sport package.

The first time I drove the Giulia Ti was exhilarating and I was smiling to myself for a while. I had never had so much fun driving. My impression was that I couldn't imagine I could have any more fun driving and if I had something with more power, I'd eventually end up getting arrested. But still based on everything I've read and seen, I've been mesmerized by the QV. OF course I don't need the extra power, it burns more fuel, would be more expensive to maintain, but it keeps calling to me.

I drove the Audi S4, which was not that much more expensive than the Ti and in between the hp of the Ti and QV. I certainly felt the power and enjoyed driving it but not the Giulia was steering was much livelier. I did appreciate the extra space in the S4 and the tech seemed more advanced, but the Giulia has the edge in styling.

So the question is, while the Ti would probably serve me well, should I allow myself to be tempted by the QV. If I'm using it as DD, and don't live by the Autobahn, will I really be able to exploit its riches? I do like to let loose when I feel safe from law enforcement and I'm sure it would be a blast. I can afford it if I want to but would it be worth the extra $25-30k?

I always had fantasies of a 911 and would consider a used one but still have teenage one so need the backseat for family trips.

Advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
my 2c is if you go Ti and Q4 you'll be wondering about the QV... I'm thinking of waiting a few years and get one a couple of years old if I go that route BUT I wouldn't get rid of the Q4. My very good friend has a 2003 S4 and he was unable to beat me in some totally legal 'tests'.. if there is an 'so much more' power, I don't see it. I feel the Giulia is more attention seeking too, Audi's are 10 a penny so to speak and for me putting some chrome on it doesn't make it special. Having said that I was impressed with Audi having never considered them before, i'm not a hater.

Had an experience where my local store clerk saw my keys and starting asking if "my licence plate started with..." he knew my plate ffs :D

Test drives sold me vs the A4, S3/4 and don't regret anything, it's addictive as **** and I'm sold 100% with no history of Alfa ownership prior

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've been interested in the Giulia for the past couple of months and have had a chance to drive a Ti a few times. I have tended to buy relatively affordable but somewhat sporty cars over the years, and I tend to drive them until they drop. I had a 1976 Fiat 128 wagon (cute car, but piece of junk), 1982 jetta, 1991 Acura Integra, 2000 Passat wagon, leased a few Ford Explorers 1995-2000 through a work deal, 2000 VW Passat wagon, 2006 Mazda 3, and 2014 Escape). Now the Mazda has about 120k miles and still running strong but I'm getting the itch.

I'm now at a point late in my working career where I can afford to splurge and want to take things up a notch. I have test driven a BMW 335, Audi S4, and Giulia Ti with 19" Sport package.

The first time I drove the Giulia Ti was exhilarating and I was smiling to myself for a while. I had never had so much fun driving. My impression was that I couldn't imagine I could have any more fun driving and if I had something with more power, I'd eventually end up getting arrested. But still based on everything I've read and seen, I've been mesmerized by the QV. OF course I don't need the extra power, it burns more fuel, would be more expensive to maintain, but it keeps calling to me.

I drove the Audi S4, which was not that much more expensive than the Ti and in between the hp of the Ti and QV. I certainly felt the power and enjoyed driving it but not the Giulia was steering was much livelier. I did appreciate the extra space in the S4 and the tech seemed more advanced, but the Giulia has the edge in styling.

So the question is, while the Ti would probably serve me well, should I allow myself to be tempted by the QV. If I'm using it as DD, and don't live by the Autobahn, will I really be able to exploit its riches? I do like to let loose when I feel safe from law enforcement and I'm sure it would be a blast. I can afford it if I want to but would it be worth the extra $25-30k?

I always had fantasies of a 911 and would consider a used one but still have teenage one so need the backseat for family trips.

Advice appreciated.

I have a Ti with the 19" sports package, sunroof, HK soundsystem, nav. I use it as a daily driver. And I agree with you, there is something super about the QV, but i am never driving on a track, face commuter traffic and also don't live where I can just open it up all the time so the Ti HP is more than enough. It is exhilarating to me! The way this car drives and handles is nothing like anything I've ever driven (I was mostly a Jeep guy, but did have a Saab 9-3 Aero and an AWD Volvo S40 with 6MT). This is by far the nicest looking and driving vehicle I've owned.

Just my opinion, but if you're not really ever going to get to really enjoy having 505 HP, the Ti will do just fine for you...and maybe use the savings to look for a used Porsche.

Reactions: moonkei

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hchilly - you have raised a great question, and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. QV owners will tell you to go that way, Ti owners their way. I went the Ti route, though the cost of the QV was not an issue. The Ti won out for two reasons 1) there were no QVs at all in the Pacific NW to test drive, and 2) I'm probably too practical, and the Ti has plenty of punch for sporty type driving.. It accelerates effortlessly, is a gem to steer, and looks and feels stylish. I'm not a track guy, so I doubt I'll ever get above 90 mph..

All that said, I told my wife the other day that at the 2 year mark I might trade in the Ti for a QV.. Similar to you it does have a magnetic attraction and I do like the beefier body of the QV and from the way others on this forum describe their experiences it has to absolutely rip when driving it around. So if you can afford it - what the ****... go for it..

All that said, I think it was member Burgngold who said on a different thread (and he has a QV on order) that unless you're a track guy, why not go with a Ti for the daily driver, and then pick up an older 911 for those early morning weekend runs.. I thought that was great advice.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
@hchilly.....I think quite frankly the Quad should not be cross-shopped with a Ti or S4 (assuming you mean the new 2018 S4 354hp AUTO ONLY)
first off from a cost perspective, then performance, and the fact that the other 2 options are AWD and the Quad is not...
That said, drive the AWD Ti and the new S4 when it arrives....the proof is in the driving!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MDriver -- I realize that QV is a different beast than the Ti and the S4 but my question stems out of the evolution of expectations and learning in my recent shopping experience. I started with the BMW 3 series and then was blown away by the experience with the Ti. THen I tried the 2018 S4 and also a C43 AMG and appreciated the step up in power these to vehicle have. I think that I don't need more than that, but it just got me getting greedy for more power and performance. I think realistically the Giulia Ti will serve me well.

One thing I'm curious is whether Alfa will be coming out with a Giulia with a 350 hp motor. I've seen a few reports about plans for that but nothing definitive for 2018. That would be a nice sweet spot.

I have a BMW dealer near my work. I think I'll see if I can test drive an M3 to get a sense of the step in performance a QV would provide.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
MDriver --One thing I'm curious is whether Alfa will be coming out with a Giulia with a 350 hp motor. I've seen a few reports about plans for that but nothing definitive for 2018. That would be a nice sweet spot.
Yeah me too - also watching that. If that's true that'll be brilliant and might mute interest in a QV for me depending on what that does. I'd also read 390bhp too... we'll wait and see

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
MDriver -- I realize that QV is a different beast than the Ti and the S4 but my question stems out of the evolution of expectations and learning in my recent shopping experience. I started with the BMW 3 series and then was blown away by the experience with the Ti. THen I tried the 2018 S4 and also a C43 AMG and appreciated the step up in power these to vehicle have. I think that I don't need more than that, but it just got me getting greedy for more power and performance. I think realistically the Giulia Ti will serve me well.

One thing I'm curious is whether Alfa will be coming out with a Giulia with a 350 hp motor. I've seen a few reports about plans for that but nothing definitive for 2018. That would be a nice sweet spot.

I have a BMW dealer near my work. I think I'll see if I can test drive an M3 to get a sense of the step in performance a QV would provide.
when did you drive a 2018 S4????....was not aware they are in the showrooms yet...
having had an F80M3 (non-ZCP) if the manual aspect weighs heavy on your decision than the F80 M3 ZCP will offer you pretty much the same performance aspect of a Quad for DD activities for certain....the other factors are purely subjective ie: styling, interior etc. when you compare the two.
best of luck in your search

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Ti's 2.0 is one of the more powerful engine in its class. I drove the Ti back to back with my ATS 3.6, and the Ti seems fast as, if not faster than, my 321bhp V6 ATS. I think the 8 speed ZF transmission that the ATS didn't get until 2016 really makes a difference.) So, I think the Ti will probably satisfy your need for speed. That being said... It is a big gap from 280 to 505. I would think AR could find a sweet spot somewhere in between.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It is a big gap from 280 to 505. I would think AR could find a sweet spot somewhere in between.

I wouldn't count on a 350hp engine in 2018... Seems Alfa is being pretty methodical about rollouts - Stelvio will come next (it's now orderable in Italy), then the rumored coup, etc. Seems they would first want to establish the Giulia base/Ti to where it is selling in the thousands per year in North America vs the hundreds.. All that said, I think a 350hp version priced in between the QV and Ti would be a winner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
when did you drive a 2018 S4????....was not aware they are in the showrooms yet...
having had an F80M3 (non-ZCP) if the manual aspect weighs heavy on your decision than the F80 M3 ZCP will offer you pretty much the same performance aspect of a Quad for DD activities for certain....the other factors are purely subjective ie: styling, interior etc. when you compare the two.
best of luck in your search
Drove the 2018 S4 last weekend. They had 3 in stock in Richmond VA dealer. Nice car although appearance is understated. From a practical standpoint it has more room than the Giulia, especially in the backseat. Since I'm 6'3" it is nice to be able to fit a passenger behind me if necessary. Plus my head hits the ceiling in the backseat of the Giulia with a sunroof. And it looks like the S4 has a bigger trunk. Not sure if tires are runflat or if there is a spare (which would be nice). I liked the virtual cockpit (although some find it distracting) but I didn't like the ipad-like monitor in the center. It handled nicely but not quite as deftly as the Giulia, but I felt confident on turns. Accelerates very quickly in dynamic mode. I also enjoyed the C43, but preferred the Audi Interior. The C43 was very nimble too. Should take the C63 out.

I have a test drive of an M3 scheduled for later this afternoon. That will be very informative in my decision process.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

Advice appreciated.
I own a 911 and just recently test drove a Q (thanks to MDriver) they are wonderful cars!
They truly show their colors on a track, yes I guess you can have drag races from light to light, but what's the fun in that?

If you don't live in the Autobahn and won't track it, I believe the Ti will be your best bet, cost effective and still plenty of fun to drive! Plus the AWD is always a nice feature in inclement weather! S4 is nice, but it is not as fun as the Giulia.

Good luck!

Reactions: Tyresian and jkoval

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I own a 911 and just recently test drove a Q (thanks to MDriver) they are wonderful cars!
They truly show their colors on a track, yes I guess you can have drag races from light to light, but what's the fun in that?

If you don't live in the Autobahn and won't track it, I believe the Ti will be your best bet, cost effective and still plenty of fun to drive! Plus the AWD is always a nice feature in inclement weather! S4 is nice, but it is not as fun as the Giulia.

Good luck!
BostonDMD -- that advice seems too rational -- I wanted support for my irrational side! (but have to admit it supports the conclusion I'm head to). I do live relatively near Dominion Raceway, so maybe there is the opportunity to explore another side of driving?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Be careful tracking cars is a slippery slope that then turns to an addiction!:grin2:

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
My understanding is that its the same one that's in the Giulia. Worked very nicely.
note to self buy stock in the company that makes the ZF:D
my wife's 340 M-Sport X-Drive has the ZF8 as well...now Audi, Alfa and I'm sure there are others....
the fact that you could get a manual made the S4 very appealing...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
note to self buy stock in the company that makes the ZF:D
my wife's 340 M-Sport X-Drive has the ZF8 as well...now Audi, Alfa and I'm sure there are others....
the fact that you could get a manual made the S4 very appealing...
Aston Martin, Alpina, Jaguar, Land Rover, Rolls Royce, etc also use that transmission last time I checked :smile2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts