• Quad

Votes: 10 26.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's settle this once and for all.

What is the proper way to abbreviate the Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Quadrifoglio, in italian, means four-leaf clover / cloverleaf.
Verde, in italian, means green.

Some say "Q", since the Giulia has no "QV" version or "Verde" is not in the name.
Some say "QV", since it has a green cloverleaf on the side of the car.
Others say "Quad", as a happy middle ground.

Which is it?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
None of the above

Quadrifoglio

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
Let's settle this once and for all.

What is the proper way to abbreviate the Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Quadrifoglio, in italian, means four-leaf clover / cloverleaf.
Verde, in italian, means green.

Some say "Q", since the Giulia has no "QV" version or "Verde" is not in the name.
Some say "QV", since it has a green cloverleaf on the side of the car.
Others say "Quad", as a happy middle ground.

Which is it?
I agree that Quadrifoglio is troublesome to say or spell out, particularly when the word is needed repeatedly.

Others have reported that Alfa uses QV even though Verde is not formally part of the name. That's good enough for me.

The Ti comes with either a Q2 or Q4 badge, so Q is not helpful.
Quad in other languages just means 4- like 4 doors, 4 wheels, 4 wheel drive, 4 leaves, etc. 4 in Italian is Quattro.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I started this discussion some time ago. I challenged anyone to produce any Alfa Romeo factory produced verbiage that uses Quadrifoglio Verde or QV. None could. There are many articles and reviews and quotes by others referring to the Quadrifoglio as a QV or a Verde, but nothing officially from Alfa Romeo. Some say, because of the green 4 leaf clover shields / badges on the car, it is a Quadrifoglio Verde. It would have been easy to say, lets call it the Q. Then Alfa screwed it up by bringing the Ti model which came through with Q2 and Q4 badging. I guess this further encouraged folks to call the Quadrifoglio, a QV.
For me, it's a Quadrifoglio.
Quad, for short(er).
Q, for shortest.
Maybe next year when they bring us the pumped-up 605 hp version it will be badged the Quadrifoglio Verde. Or maybe the Quadrifoglio Veloce. Or maybe the QV.
Until I see, in print, from Alfa Romeo, verbiage describing the Giulia model, sold here in the US, stated as anything other than a QUADRIFOGLIO......

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Others have reported that Alfa uses QV even though Verde is not formally part of the name. That's good enough for me.
Correct.

I challenged anyone to produce any Alfa Romeo factory produced verbiage that uses Quadrifoglio Verde or QV. None could.
That changes today (pixelation obscures unreleased variants).

To be clear: it is correct that the official marketing denomination is just Quadrifoglio. If you really have to shorten it, though, QV is acceptable and used internally.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
MacGeek,
Not so fast.
That looks to me like an aftermarket parts catalog. Not an official Alfa Romeo Factory publication.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Check the link to their catalog. On the left side, in "cars catalogs" they spell Alfa, Alpha. In several places too. They also list Acura to Yamaha, plus a few more. This is NOT an Alfa Factory web page.
https://www.epcatalogs.com/fiat1006/

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dun Dun Dunnn .... MacGeek is one of them!!

But hm.. it looks pretty official.. so if that's the case than QV is what it is.

I like @MDriver 's idea better though, I'm going to call mine Jennifer. Why? Because why not. Jennifer is a nice name..

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
I think this is a silly thing to argue about.

What is probably the most famous Alfa Romeo of all - the Duetto (from the movie "The Graduate") - was officially called the 1600 Spider. It was never listed as a "Duetto" in any factory literature. And yet today that is what the model is known as worldwide.

I personally think the QV (Quadrifoglio Verde) name makes the most sense. Alfa has in the past had other color of Quadrifoglio in their lineup (Argento, Oro, Platino), and they may again choose to do so, so in that case it would be a useful distinction.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think this is a silly thing to argue about.

What is probably the most famous Alfa Romeo of all - the Duetto (from the movie "The Graduate") - was officially called the 1600 Spider. It was never listed as a "Duetto" in any factory literature. And yet today that is what the model is known as worldwide.

I personally think the QV (Quadrifoglio Verde) name makes the most sense. Alfa has in the past had other color of Quadrifoglio in their lineup (Argento, Oro, Platino), and they may again choose to do so, so in that case it would be a useful distinction.

The first road legal Alfa to have the cloverleaf is 1963 Giulia TI Super more known as Giulia Quadrifoglio, Quadrifoglio Verde and Oro monikers were coined in early 80's by Alfa Romeo marketing team, the original Quadrifoglio was green only, no need to specify the colour.
The type 952 Giulia Quadrifoglio pay tribute to type 105 Giulia TI Super "Quadrifoglio" and adopted its name.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Thanks Max, I voted for Quad but seem to have had an impression that QV was in the media. Now Italian paint colors are normally associated with a modifier like Rosso Competizione and so forth. So it's almost "Verde Quadrifoglio" but all the materials I've seen from Alfa, including the brochure say just Quadrifoglio.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
812 Posts
Giulia QV sounds best and most clearly illustrates which model. And if you say Giulia Quad it makes you think of the 4 wheel drive version. And saying Giulia Q it's confusing with the Q2 and Q4 models.
Plus that's what the Italians have chosen to use.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I usually just say Quad on here so people don't get triggered and thread goes off-topic, but QV is what I say in real life because that's how my Alfa dealer and insurance company refer to it.

Yes yes yes, the V is no longer officially referring to anything in the marketing name, but it previously was and it's just been kept. Think of it like a stupid tradition like Mercs and their '6.3' 6.2L engines or like English spelling that has silent characters in a word like 'knowledge'.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.